Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently live in Chicago, will be moving out to Denver/Castle Rock area this coming up year, either spring, summer or fall.

I plan on running new wheels and summer tires during the summer but can I get away with all-season tires out in CO or do I need snow tires for my stock 19" wheels?

Reason I ask is b/c I need new tires for my stock rims and will either get snow or all season's put on them soon and run this setup during the winters.

Are you able to get away w/ all-seasons out in CO b/c the snow melts so quickly (from what I've heard) or do you run snow tires in the winter and another setup during the summer?

Thanks
Dustin

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I live in Castle Rock....
I tried Summer Only tires once in the snow...that didn't work.
They do a good job plowing the interstate and main roads, so good all seasons work fine. The neighborhoods don't always get plowed soon enuf tho.

If your commute is crazy long, or you need to leave super early then snow tires make sense.

If the weather gal says it is gonna be crazy snow fall, then i'll thros on the snow tires.
All season is fine for most of winter...changing lanes when there is slush, or super cold temps make me want to use the snows then.

If you plan on driving up to the skiing areas...snows are better.

Where you planning on living?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't gotten all the details yet. No jobs set up yet, just know the Mrs and I want to try something new and move to CO. She is a nurse and I'm an accountant, hopefully she can find a job in Castle Rock/Parker area and I may try to find a job there also or in DTC. We'll rent a house when we first come out and then if we are comfortable, purchase after a year or 2. Since we don't know as of now where we'll live or work, I have no idea how much driving I'll be doing.
I guess I'll just go the best price route, I think the Conti DWS would be nice but Discount Tire has them for around $250/tire. I think I'll just go w/ what is the best deal I can find.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Good all seasons are fine for 95% of our weather out here...the other 5%...well you should just stay home that day.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
If you already have a summer-only setup for the good weather then it is a no brainer. Snow tires. You've already decided not to compensate during the good weather so do the same for the bad weather. And remember this - Snow tires are not simply for the snow, they perform much better than all seasons in COLD weather period. That is one of the bigger benefits of running them.

My advice would be to run a high-performance snow tire (I use hankook icebears) that'll provide good traction in cold weather, still performing decent when it is dry out, yet still giving the extra confidence that you'll want when it does snow. I've been to CO a few times, another reason I'd recommend the performance snows is because of how windy many of the roads are out there, you'll want good traction on cold pavement w/ all the curves.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So would I be ok with 245/40R19 snow tires b/c I'm not sure if I want to pay for an extra set of smaller rims along w/ some snow tires. Can I fit 255's on stock 19" rims? Can I fit 245/45 on stock 19" rims?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
So would I be ok with 245/40R19 snow tires b/c I'm not sure if I want to pay for an extra set of smaller rims along w/ some snow tires. Can I fit 255's on stock 19" rims? Can I fit 245/45 on stock 19" rims?
You can run 245/40/19' snows - I run 245/45/18s

You may want to look at price difference between a) 19"s snows vs. b)selling your stock 19"s and getting new 18's w/ 18" snows - I believe B would be the better value and you'd get fresh rims for the winter...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, but then I have to worry about selling the 19's

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Yea, but then I have to worry about selling the 19's
If they're in decent shape should be able to sell them in about a week on the forum...just sell them price +shipping

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I went with 17s for my snows...decent rims and nice snow tires for under $1K...

My 19s need to die...all my rims are shot...when they go I'll go staggered 18s or 20s with summer only tread...and run my 17s with snow tires a lil more than i have lately.

Do what works for you...

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
I'm waiting for my 19" Conti DWS tires to show up, great tire for year round as long as you aren't going into the mountains in the winter. When I lived in the mountains it was Blizzak every winter, snow tires are a must.

·
Registered
364 Posts
IMO, have a set for both seasons. I had a set of all season tires, and when it hit 105 degrees here during the summer the road was so hot it was literally melting the tread off my tires, they were literally falling apart! Great in the winter horrible when its scorching hot outside!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Hey random but I will also be moving to Denver for 10 months in February. Just curious if you guys think I should take my G8 or F150 from Pennsylvania there. G8 has summer tires.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I was debating the same thing as my all seasons will need to be changed soon, and from what I heard once you go winter tires you never go back..

Use my stock rims for winters and but some sexy shoes for summer lol.

Sent from a nuclear plant somewhere..

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I was debating the same thing as my all seasons will need to be changed soon, and from what I heard once you go winter tires you never go back..

Use my stock rims for winters and but some sexy shoes for summer lol.

Sent from a nuclear plant somewhere..

Yes you heard right. Take it from me trying to run "all-seasons" on my GTO (mods in sig) - I just ended up getting a winter beater (literally garbage in any real snow) and eventually roasting the all-seasons out of frustration since they were not particularly grippy in the hot summer weather either (went from Toyo proxes4 to T1's)

All-seasons are not the right choice for a near 4,000 lb torque monster performance sedan (or any performance car for that matter) particularly RWD. By their very nature all-seasons = compromise. When you feel how much more confident this big old hog is in the corners on high-performance summer only tread you won't want to go back to all-seasons. When you realize what you were missing the whole time w/ a decent set of snows on this thing once the temps dip below the 40's and the white stuff starts falling, you'll wonder why you ever wasted your $$$ on all-seasons to begin with

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All sounds good

I'm going to go w/ snow tires for winter on either stock 18" or 19" rims

Will focus this winter on a new set of wheels and summer tires so they're ready come April.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Snow tires are priceless on snowy and icy roads but they also ware down fast on dry warm pavement. Colorado winters are MUCH milder than east coast and Midwest winters (east of the mountains). High quality all seasons like Continental extreme DWS are good in light to medium snow and very good on dry warm roads....
Having grown up in Wisconsin, lived in Montana and Colorado mountains and now the front range of Colorado I'm more than happy with DWS all seasons. I have only one set of wheels.... If I had two I'd put summer tires on one and DWS on the other ;-). Snow tires last only one season here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Definitely snow tires

Having had all wheel drive cars and not having any traction issues with all seasons learned quickly the primary issue with all seasons is stopping power.

Snow tires will decrease your stopping distance by at least 60 feet. Very much the difference between an accident or avoiding an accident.

During my driving experiences you can't control what happens in front of you, been behind too many vehicles loosing control, spinning out. Better to have more control in response to a situation than not. Avoiding one accident is worth the cost.

Snow tires are now requirement for all my vehicles.

·
Arrival
183 Posts
I went with 17s for my snows...decent rims and nice snow tires for under $1K...

My 19s need to die...all my rims are shot...when they go I'll go staggered 18s or 20s with summer only tread...and run my 17s with snow tires a lil more than i have lately.

Do what works for you...
Trying to be like me with staggered 20's eh? ;)
Weren't you guys making jokes about my "heavy 20" rims?"

Op: I have a set of stock 18's that I will let go without a tear. Pretty damn cheap too.

I will also sell my current rims pretty soon. Just saying. Cheap as hell.

If you buy summer tires, may as well get winter tires. That would meet all-seasons ;).

I just garage mine in the winter/snow days.

·
Registered
189 Posts
all-seasons should be fine

i live in salt lake city, very similar weather to denver. i have driven my all-season Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires a couple times now in terrible winter conditions on snowpacked roads, and they are impressive. i made it 40 miles round trip with minimal sliding, and got up a hill with a slight incline. in my opinion, all-seaons should be fine, they work for me. and yes idk about denver but in salt lake the roads melt pretty quickly due to how much salt they use.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts