Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know others have done similar things in the past, but last week I finally completed a project I've been wanting to do for a while and wanted to share:

BEFORE: (Everyone knows what a stock dash looks like...)
before.jpg

AFTER:
after.jpg
after2.jpg

This is a Holden Omega iQ head unit and associated dash trim pieces. It's similar to the Chevy Caprice PPV unit but apparently has some differences (per Chris White). I really wanted a full on Holden iQ unit, but the price of doing that right was going to be fairly prohibitive, so I went with the second best option I could find. I found a place selling kits on Australian fleaBay which included the head unit and all the dash trim. All in, including shipping from Down Under, reprogramming by Chris White and installation by a professional installer, I spent about $850 on this. Still pricey, but worth it to me for the stock look.

Overall, this is actually fairly primitive compared to modern infotainment systems, but it works well and hits the high points including a USB connection, backup camera and Bluetooth streaming. I was terrified of tearing into this dash myself (knowing that I would break something) so I had a local professional installer help me out with it. He shot me a good deal on this, so I was happy to let him do it. I put a USB port (combined with Aux In) in the front of the inside center console cubby, so it's normally hidden away. Also had a backup camera installed as well. The backup camera shows up really well on the screen (sorry, I haven't been able to take a picture of it yet). And, of course, I gained the ability to make phone calls.

The only drawbacks to this unit are:

1. I lost the use of my center speaker (no great loss as it wasn't that great anyway, but the full Holden IQ unit will still drive the center speaker as well). The sound is still good enough for my use (my hearing isn't all that great to begin with).
2. I lost XM Radio (not available in Australia, so it's not in the radios). No worries there because I can stream it from my phone.
3. Everyone once in a while my DIC will give me a message that "Navigation is not Installed" when I first start the car.
4. When Bluetooth streaming, the screen only shows a "Bluetooth streaming..." message and not information about what audio is playing. I can live with that.
after3.jpg

All the steering wheel controls work, just as you would expect.

I'm happy with this install. It's not the full iQ (and the trim for that unit looks a bit fancier) but it's good enough for what I wanted, looks factory and is a nice upgrade over the stock G8 radio.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Very cool.
I like the higher position of the screen on the new unit, I've always felt our stock screens are to low and take our vision off the road for too long.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Looks great, tastefully done and appears as if the car came originally equipped as such. Especially like how the upper trim pieces flow and are absent of the large gap to accommodate the stock air vents.

Reactions: hexagod

·
Registered
133 Posts
That looks really cool. At first glance I was sure it was a Caprice swap, but pleasantly surprised it's aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
It wasn't stock nor available as an option from the manufacturer on a Pontiac G8.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That is really nice. Has a very clean stock look to it. Almost like had Pontiac survived, a mid generation refresh would have gotten this interior.

I take it all the climate controls work flawlessly? Also did all the trim work come with the unit or was that a separate buy?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That looks really cool. At first glance I was sure it was a Caprice swap, but pleasantly surprised it's aftermarket.
If by “aftermarket” you mean that it just didn’t come with the car originally, then yes, that is correct. But, to be clear, this is an official GM part. It was simply never available in the States. It’s from the Australian cars.

That is really nice. Has a very clean stock look to it. Almost like had Pontiac survived, a mid generation refresh would have gotten this interior.
I agree. I truly believe that if Pontiac was still around, the G8 GT would have ended up with this dash (and maybe an option on the Base).

I take it all the climate controls work flawlessly? Also did all the trim work come with the unit or was that a separate buy?
The climate controls all work great. The only buttons that are “non-functional” are the navigation buttons on the radio faceplate (and even those will cause the radio to display a message indicated that Navigation is not installed). Everything else is 100% functional. I actually like how the climate readouts look on this new display better than the stock radio (you can’t see it in the pictures I took because the car was not running when I took those pictures). It’s more out of the way, but still very visible when you look.

All the trim was part of a kit offered by the seller, so I got everything in one big box (that was impressively overpacked—nothing was getting damaged in that box). The only thing I didn’t use was the backup camera that came with the kit. I swapped it for another backup camera I had here that I had purchased before hoping to eventually install on the car.

I did discover a small oddity about this headunit today. Even if the car is off and the key is not in the ignition, pushing the power button (for this unit, it’s the volume knob), the radio will turn on and stay on until the power button is pushed again or the car is started and shut off again. I’m not sure if that is by design or if something is wired wrong. But, it doesn’t seem to affect how it’s supposed to work with the ignition, so I don’t really care that much. I just found it odd and interesting.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
"OverlordSpock" That radio turn on/turnoff action, works that way in the is OEM 6 disc radio also. Its a nice function if you don't have your ignition key handy. The down side to this, is it could cause a battery rundown condition on you. If by chance you were ordered/requested to do something else (all of a sudden), an neglected/forgot to turn that radio back off, it just plays on an on.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"OverlordSpock" That radio turn on/turnoff action, works that way in the is OEM 6 disc radio also. Its a nice function if you don't have your ignition key handy. The down side to this, is it could cause a battery rundown condition on you. If by chance you were ordered/requested to do something else (all of a sudden), an neglected/forgot to turn that radio back off, it just plays on an on.
Huh. I don’t remember that from the stock radio. I just must have never stumbled across that.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
522 Posts
Nicely done. The biggest thing keeping me from doing this conversion at this point is the lack of satellite radio functionality. With the rare exception of streaming something off my phone, it is what I listen to the majority of the time.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just run Satellite radio through my phone and stream it. Works for me because I have unlimited data with my carrier. But I understand that it’s weird with it not being factory. That held me back as long as it did but I finally decided the benefits were worth the sacrifice.

Reactions: Jimal

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
Great work!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice! I'm new to the forum, and a new G8 owner. Mine has already had the flashing radio/center console light issue that many have had. I'd love to go this route. Can you elaborate on which seller you used to buy this stuff? A search on Ebay.au shows quite a few. I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking at. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^ I'll send you a PM.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts