Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished most of my modifications on my 09 G8 BTR stage 3 cam Manzo long tube headers. As far as the rest of the exhaust I just have an x pipe feeding some solo axle backs. So no Mufflers or cats and this thing is Extremely Loud sounds great at idle but has a weird cackley raspy sound around 2200 RPM. the solos are keeping the Drone away but it's just too loud any recommendations on maybe some resonators or something to put in line to just quiet at some what I would like it fairly loud but not to this extent.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Replace the X-pipe with a Tru-X muffler from Magnaflow. It's basically a resonated X-pipe, and will cancel out the rasp.

PM me if you're interested in buying a brand new one at a cheaper price. I have one I bought, but never used. Still in the box. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I had one of those at first and it was causing a restriction in the eyes of my tuner and I didn't care at all for the way the exhaust sounded

·
Registered
649 Posts
Actually I had one of those at first and it was causing a restriction in the eyes of my tuner and I didn't care at all for the way the exhaust sounded
OK. Fair enough. Although, I can't see it being much of a restriction.

Aside from that, you just need to try another axle back. Something with a muffler like Magnaflow, Kooks, or have the Solos modified to add a muffler of some sort.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes adding a muffler to my solos is an option. I've been trying to find something that would work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think solo offers the only axle backs without drone since you can't just buy the Corsa axle back

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same problem. My car came with Kooks headers, 3" catted midpipe and Solo axle backs. At idle and just tapping on the gas sounded like a dragster. It was great, but just too loud. I ended up putting GXP mufflers. It's much quieter, think too quiet now but it retained the nice chop sound from the cams. I might get Kooks axle backs down the road.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I had the same problem. My car came with Kooks headers, 3" catted midpipe and Solo axle backs. At idle and just tapping on the gas sounded like a dragster. It was great, but just too loud. I ended up putting GXP mufflers. It's much quieter, think too quiet now but it retained the nice chop sound from the cams. I might get Kooks axle backs down the road.
Same setup I had for about half a day. Sounded awesome, but WAY too loud. I'm currently running stock GT mufflers because I had them. Still debating on cutouts... or different axleback... or XForce catback... not sure yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same setup I had for about half a day. Sounded awesome, but WAY too loud. I'm currently running stock GT mufflers because I had them. Still debating on cutouts... or different axleback... or XForce catback... not sure yet.
Yeah it was. People were just staring me down, like what the hell lol. I've been trying to find something similar as far as the tip size goes as well. The Solos were 3.5" each. The closest to looking and sounding good were the Looks. Does Xforce have axle backs or no?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yeah it was. People were just staring me down, like what the hell lol. I've been trying to find something similar as far as the tip size goes as well. The Solos were 3.5" each. The closest to looking and sounding good were the Looks. Does Xforce have axle backs or no?
No unfortunately. Only full catbacks and headers. If they would sell just the Varex axle backs, I'm sure they'd sell like crazy.

·
Registered
649 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
As someone who has been thru two midpipes, two muffled x pipes, 4 resonators., 5 sets of mufflers - if I was to do all over again, get a set of QTP oval cutouts installed in front of stock mufflers. With cutouts open and muffled xpipe, it sounds great. Close them and listen to Sinatra. Or pick somewhere in between.

Yes, it's that simple. cutout.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts