Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my gt mufflers to the solo axleback and although I love the sound, I can't help but notice a crackling sound coming from the exhaust at idle after startup. It almost sounds like I have a small pebble bouncing around in my axleback. Is this normal? Let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
When I installed mine I didn't have any problems. Is everything tight? If it sounds like something is in it you might want to check.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just put mine on several weeks ago and haven't heard anything like that. I'd call/e-mail Solo might be something up with those ones.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I had the same thing, it's moisture around the fittings, An air leak. Water bubbles out and creates that sound.

Remove everything and deep clean, apply piping jelly and reassemble. It'll cure it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Maybe the heat shields on the bottom of the trunk are bent and touching the exhaust?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I had the same thing, it's moisture around the fittings, An air leak. Water bubbles out and creates that sound.

Remove everything and deep clean, apply piping jelly and reassemble. It'll cure it.

An air leak could be the culprit since I put on the axleback in my driveway and may not have tigtened the flanges tight enough. It does almost sound like water boiling in the pipe or a small pebble bouncing around.

Also, I noticed when cruising in 6th gear at about 45 mph that I am getting drone resonating inside the cabin. I know the J-pipes are supposed to eliminate drone, so could this drone be caused by an exhaust leak at the flange? This would make sense as a air leak at the flange would not allow the J-pipes to work effectively.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
nope, air leaks will not cause drone. If you have DOD enabled, you will still get that frequency drone. Nothing will get rid of that (I've heard that the Magnaflow X muffler helps).
to be sure, drive in "manual mode" 6th gear at 45mph...is it still there?

·
Registered
143 Posts
nope, air leaks will not cause drone. If you have DOD enabled, you will still get that frequency drone. Nothing will get rid of that (I've heard that the Magnaflow X muffler helps).
to be sure, drive in "manual mode" 6th gear at 45mph...is it still there?
I get this same thing and have DOD tuned out. I'm never in that range for a long period of time so it doesn't really bother me. I actually kind of like it, but could see how it annoys some people.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An air leak could be the culprit since I put on the axleback in my driveway and may not have tigtened the flanges tight enough. It does almost sound like water boiling in the pipe or a small pebble bouncing around.

Also, I noticed when cruising in 6th gear at about 45 mph that I am getting drone resonating inside the cabin. I know the J-pipes are supposed to eliminate drone, so could this drone be caused by an exhaust leak at the flange? This would make sense as a air leak at the flange would not allow the J-pipes to work effectively.
Update - I tightened the flanges last night and I was able to fix the water sound in the axleback, however, I am still getting the drone in 6th gear (around 1200 - 1300rpms). Is this normal for this axleback or does something need to be adjusted on the J-pipe? Also, it should be noted that I tuned out the AFM so the drone is not coming from the 4 cylinder mode. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
I am still getting the drone in 6th gear (around 1200 - 1300rpms).

An aftermarket exhaust might not be in your cards if this is something you are finding a nuisance, even with AFM tuned off and the stock Mid Mufflers in place. I know some have said that adding an XPipe smoothes the sound out but than you are increasing your overall exhaust sound at WOT. Adjusting the JPipes might help but Solo spent plenty of time tuning them to the sweet spot from the factory.

I have headers, HFCs, and an XPipe and my car is pretty quiet in 6th gear at any RPM range.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An aftermarket exhaust might not be in your cards if this is something you are finding a nuisance, even with AFM tuned off and the stock Mid Mufflers in place. I know some have said that adding an XPipe smoothes the sound out but than you are increasing your overall exhaust sound at WOT. Adjusting the JPipes might help but Solo spent plenty of time tuning them to the sweet spot from the factory.

I have headers, HFCs, and an XPipe and my car is pretty quiet in 6th gear at any RPM range.
You might be right, but from all the research I did on the Solo Axleback I was confident that it would have not drone. The drone in 6th gear at low rpms is not acceptable IMHO for a axle back that is marketed as not producing any drone.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
^ I can't speak for certain as I can't listen to what you are talking about in person, but you are in the overwhelmimg minority with complaints regarding Drone with the Solo systems. Drone is all over the RPM map and in all gears. With your descriptions of 6th gear only and a specific RPM I don't think it's drone at all, instead it's just an awkward exhaust tone that your ears do not find appealing. I could be wrong? Have you ever had an aftermarket exhaust on anything you have driven before?

Solo doesn't have the following it has with false claims.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ I can't speak for certain as I can't listen to what you are talking about in person, but you are in the overwhelmimg minority with complaints regarding Drone with the Solo systems. Drone is all over the RPM map and in all gears. With your descriptions of 6th gear only and a specific RPM I don't think it's drone at all, instead it's just an awkward exhaust tone that your ears do not find appealing. I could be wrong? Have you ever had an aftermarket exhaust on anything you have driven before?

Solo doesn't have the following it has with false claims.
Agreed, it may that my j-pipes need to be adjusted. Maybe "the factory setting" somehow moved during shipping on one or both of the pipes. I will have to check it out. Trust me, I don't want to be in the minority. I want a drone free exhaust. I will keep messing with it and hopefully find the sweet spot.

Also, how should the actual J-pipes be positioned under the heat shield? Should they be more verticle or more horizontal?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I'll jump in.

The J-pipes should not be touching or near anything, other than that, they just need to be tucked up in there out of the way.

As far as adjusting them to suit your individual car's drone range (MOST are fine with the factory settings but there are always a few g8's with different tolerances that might need tweaking of the J-pipes to make it work for you!)

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28831

^^^ That's the procedure for adjusting them. Basically, create a test loop where you can easily and verifyably prove the problem area. Then mark and make adjustment as in that thread, then repeat exact same test loop? No difference or worse? You went the wrong way on the tuba-section adjustment. Better? you're on the right track, try another 1/2 inch and repeat test loop, repeat until perfect. When done, crank the clamps real tight again so that they don't shift or move after you've found the sweet spot.

After adjusting, let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll jump in.

The J-pipes should not be touching or near anything, other than that, they just need to be tucked up in there out of the way.

As far as adjusting them to suit your individual car's drone range (MOST are fine with the factory settings but there are always a few g8's with different tolerances that might need tweaking of the J-pipes to make it work for you!)

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28831

^^^ That's the procedure for adjusting them. Basically, create a test loop where you can easily and verifyably prove the problem area. Then mark and make adjustment as in that thread, then repeat exact same test loop? No difference or worse? You went the wrong way on the tuba-section adjustment. Better? you're on the right track, try another 1/2 inch and repeat test loop, repeat until perfect. When done, crank the clamps real tight again so that they don't shift or move after you've found the sweet spot.

After adjusting, let us know how it turns out!
Thanks for the good info on adjusting, unfortunately I still am experiencing drone in 6th gear (1200 - 1400 rpms). I adjusted the Js in 1", in 1/2" and out 1/2" and out 1" from factory preset and all settings had drone. Very disappointed. Does solo except returns?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Call Steve and find out. I don't work for solo. Sorry you're unhappy with their product, I would recommend that you return your car to stock exhaust, as any aftermarket exhaust might cause anomolies that don't agree with your needs.

--zepcom

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
My god! What the hell did you expect to hear after modifying the exhaust into straight pipes?!!?! Its not going to be silent on the inside and v8 rumble on the outside...Of course you will be able to hear it!

Threads like this drive me nuts! Maybe you should have bought a Prius, I hear they are pretty quiet and drone free

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My god! What the hell did you expect to hear after modifying the exhaust into straight pipes?!!?! Its not going to be silent on the inside and v8 rumble on the outside...Of course you will be able to hear it!

Threads like this drive me nuts! Maybe you should have bought a Prius, I hear they are pretty quiet and drone free

I like V8 rumble, just not drone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Call Steve and find out. I don't work for solo. Sorry you're unhappy with their product, I would recommend that you return your car to stock exhaust, as any aftermarket exhaust might cause anomolies that don't agree with your needs.

--zepcom
Thanks for your help. Maybe I will look into getting some gxp muffs.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
The axle back kits do not drone unless the following:

1. The J pipes have been moved from the factory setting.
2. The J pipes are not equal on both sides.
3. The axle back is not fully broken in (1000 miles)
4. You have other major mods and have not tried adjusting the J pipes. Do not adjust until fully broken in.

Otherwise, we have hundreds of these kits on the road without drone. I would check all of the above first. Even if the j pipes are 1/4" off from each other, it makes a works of difference. They are a carefully deigned piece of technology. If you have further issues, please contact us and I am confident we can find out what is causing your drone. Thanks so much.

Steve

1 - 20 of 30 Posts