Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My solo axleback came a few days ago and I was eager all week to install it. Today I finally got some free time, and since reading about installs on here I figured it would be a breeze and I would be done in under an hour. Well, drivers side went flawless, about 15 minutes off and on. Passengers side on the other hand... Someone who owned this car before me absolutely destroyed 1 of the bolts, and put some kind of putty all around the gap where the two pieces come together. I spent hours doing everything possible I could think of using the tools I own to get this bolt off. Still no luck. I finally scraped the putty off seemed JB weld. But the bolt had nothing to grab onto, and would not come loose in any way. I am saying this to tell people THINK AHEAD. What might be a solution at the time will be headaches in the future. Planning to take it in to a shop tomorrow. What was supposed to end a great day, ended in disappointment.

·
every village has one
2,168 Posts
Bad break, know how that goes.
There are some people,who just shouldn’t work on cars.
Hope it turns out OK.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
A muffler shop should be able to remove the bolt with relative ease and install the passenger's side axle-back. Discovering things people do to "fix" situations i.e. jury rig never ceases to amaze. The head of the bolt could have broken off especially if there is an accumulation of rust on the threads.

·
Vendor
400 Posts
Bummer, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the exhaust twice as much once its all done. If it's not to late try to get a gator grip socket. They look cheesy but they work on stripped bolts. Also, the Husky sockets are pretty good too. They have a weird new toothed grip design.

·
Vendor
1,293 Posts
Sorry to hear about the install issue...sometimes it's a lot of work to clean up other people's shortcuts. We see it all of the time. Good luck and let us know how you like it once it's installed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I installed my Solo axle back I had issues too. The first bolt I tried to remove was so rusty the head snapped off. After that I used a torch to heat the rest of the bolts before I tried turning them and they all came out. Once the exhaust was out of the way, there was enough of the broken bolt sticking out that I was able to get vise grips on it. With more heat from the torch I was able to slowly work the broken piece out.

Gotta love living in the rust belt.

You may be able to do something similar if you remove the mangled bolt head and get your muffler out of the way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I installed my Solo axle back I had issues too. The first bolt I tried to remove was so rusty the head snapped off. After that I used a torch to heat the rest of the bolts before I tried turning them and they all came out. Once the exhaust was out of the way, there was enough of the broken bolt sticking out that I was able to get vise grips on it. With more heat from the torch I was able to slowly work the broken piece out.

Gotta love living in the rust belt.

You may be able to do something similar if you remove the mangled bolt head and get your muffler out of the way.
Well the other of the bolts on that side did exactly that too, broke the head off and about half the length just from a socket wrench. The rest is still sticking out. Funny thing is this car was originally from california, made its way to indiana where it was garage stored. Now I have it in MS. Theres really not much rust on it at all so I do not understand what was going on that passenger side bolts/gasket because it looks like it spent 10 winters driving on salt but only around that little area.. must have been some exhaust leak some home mechanic tried to fix and failed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear about the install issue...sometimes it's a lot of work to clean up other people's shortcuts. We see it all of the time. Good luck and let us know how you like it once it's installed.
Took it to a shop today, they worked their magic and got it cleaned up for quite cheap. Put the axleback on directly after that and can say so far that i'm loving it. Love to see the sparkling tips and listen to the big engine rumble!

·
Vendor
1,293 Posts
Took it to a shop today, they worked their magic and got it cleaned up for quite cheap. Put the axleback on directly after that and can say so far that i'm loving it. Love to see the sparkling tips and listen to the big engine rumble!
Awesome to hear! Welcome to the Solo family!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Good deal and enjoy the new setup. Hopefully, this is the extent of homemade "fixes" performed on the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Hah. Been there, doing that now on the daily driver since one of the old hangers doesn't extend down far enough for the replacement exhaust. Spare coat hanger and a few minutes later... problem solved. Good times

1 - 12 of 12 Posts