Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed them and got a check engine light ( after 2 weeks ) have you heard of others having this problem..e-mailed Solo and have done what they suggested short of replacing the 02 sensors at $240;00 each....ready to reinstall the factory cats...but the performance increase and improved sound is GREAT ///

·
Registered
216 Posts
Installed them and got a check engine light ( after 2 weeks ) have you heard of others having this problem..e-mailed Solo and have done what they suggested short of replacing the 02 sensors at $140;00 each....ready to reinstall the factory cats...but the performance increase and improved sound is GREAT ///

Do you have any other mods? can you pull the error code?

·
BigCasnio
525 Posts
I was told that these will cause the engine to run dangerously lean over time. The engine will think its running rich due to the increased flow and will tune down fuel ratios...Might want to look into this or and get a tune to fix it...

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Installed them and got a check engine light ( after 2 weeks ) have you heard of others having this problem..e-mailed Solo and have done what they suggested short of replacing the 02 sensors at $140;00 each....ready to reinstall the factory cats...but the performance increase and improved sound is GREAT ///
Why not call solo? Have you datalogged, what are your fuel trims?

If you want to do it the right way, get a tune that is now more in-line with your mods.

Factory tune is ideal for factory configuration, as in, stock cats.

That said, many including myself have ran the factory tune with solo HFC's with the o2 extenders. In fact, having been on the beta test team, I logged 650 miles with not a CEL to be had. And I did verify that all my emissions-readiness-monitors were "pass" by that time too. I've since put close to 40k on my solo hfc's, so it's a great quality product.

But what concerns me is that you haven't told us what the code is yet. Have you isolated the CEL to one of the o2 sensors? Did your mechanic tell you this?

I think I should do a little housekeeping here since this is not really on the topic of the OP's for sale thread. Sorry OP for participating before I snip this up just a bit

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I was told that these will cause the engine to run dangerously lean over time. The engine will think its running rich due to the increased flow and will tune down fuel ratios...Might want to look into this or and get a tune to fix it...
"dangerously lean over time" is a scary thing to say without supporting evidence. Who told you this? Your mechanic? Has he had experience with the product in question? You were vague in your description, and please don't take this as me attacking you, but I do not agree with your statement above.

The proper recommendation is to "datalog" fuel trims to prove or disprove "what you were told" to see if it applies. If installed properly and as directed, HFC's are similar in concept to installing a CAI, only instead of on the "intake side" they reduce restriction on the "Exhaust side". If your fuel trims are off, datalogging will let you know that and you can then have emperical evidence for your claims.

I've ran HFC's since early 2010, and no lean problems here.

And yes, I do datalog. Fuel trims (which you might be referring to above) are the engine's dynamic way of burning the fuel at exactly stoich (not lean, not rich, just right) ... if the ECM commands too much fuel and the O2 sensors notice that, their feedback loop back to the ECM tells the ECM to pull fuel (effectively fixing the problem at that instant) and it does so. It's not "over time" and your information is misleading. If you want to share with others, please try and share factual information, or research how these things work.

Now, if there is a leak somewhere, or if an O2 sensor is bad, or if it wasn't installed properly, yes, there could be a code set, and that could even be a "lean code". That just means that the fuel trims were trying to compensate a percentage (more than 20% from the recipie aka tune) that was not acceptable. Either something wrong with hardware or something disconnected or the tune is not ideal any longer for that set of mods.

Fuel trims dynamically adjust fueling for safety. The danger comes when if you don't pay attention to your fuel trims (get a CEL and then abuse the car a bit) and go WOT ... when you go wot, the ECM is no longer asking the O2 sensors what is up, because it's using the historical FUEL TRIMS to make a calculated assumption. So, if your fuel trims were way off to begin with, this is when danger can happen to your engine. Not good.

Fuel tims monitoring can be done with a used superchips device, dashboss, dashhawk, handheld-scanner, ODB2port-to-hptuners-software, plxdevices dm100, and many other products too. Datalogging does wonders.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thankx for the input all I have is just a New Era Cai X Pipe factory mids removed Red Back axle backs Tune was done late last year ..sounds like now I have added these hi flo cats I need another tune done...Steve at Solo has been helpful and quick to reply to my e-mails Great customer service as previously stated on the forum...scan from auto zone lists what the cause Could be ...Engine miss fire.... 02 sensor fault etc..not pin pointing one particular sensor if that is the problem.....but let me add the Performance and exhaust sound increase is Pleasing /// the cost of a NAPA senor $239:00 Hurts ... If it is running lean, that will explain the increase in gas mileage...

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Great to hear that you are making progress.

Keep us posted!

--zepcom

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
who did your tuning, and did they adjust the fueling maps for the better-flowing HFC's?

In other words, my point being, a tuner who knows his stuff will adjust the tune to not even get CLOSE TO a lean code (meaning fuel trims were more than ~20% off) .. they would adjust fueling so that the fuel trims are where they need to be (-5 to +5 range) and then no codes.

If running on stock tune, use o2 extenders.

·
Registered
579 Posts
who did your tuning, and did they adjust the fueling maps for the better-flowing HFC's?

In other words, my point being, a tuner who knows his stuff will adjust the tune to not even get CLOSE TO a lean code (meaning fuel trims were more than ~20% off) .. they would adjust fueling so that the fuel trims are where they need to be (-5 to +5 range) and then no codes.

If running on stock tune, use o2 extenders.
I wouldn't classify Pat G as not knowing his stuff...
And yes, he does know what I have for bolt ons. Like I said, with 93 oct I havent had issues...and hopefully that trend continues

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to Geoff at Next Level who did my tune he took a look at the auto zone report and knew exactly what the problem code was...hooked up his lap top and hit 2 keys ..told me to go have fun and a great weekend... nice when you have a guy who knows what he is doing...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Went to Geoff at Next Level who did my tune he took a look at the auto zone report and knew exactly what the problem code was...hooked up his lap top and hit 2 keys ..told me to go have fun and a great weekend... nice when you have a guy who knows what he is doing...

anyway to let everyone know what exactly that "problem code" was? Just like you came here looking for answers, i'm sure other people in the future would like helpful answers if they ever come across the same issue. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts