Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Solo mach shorty unbalanced cat back system and it sounds good but just isn't as loud as I had expected. I realized videos make them sound louder after taking a video of mine. Not knocking solo or the kit what so ever! Just wondering what my options are for adding a little more rumble to it? I will be doing headers and hfc's & tune shortly down the road but until then can I replace the shorty muffler with an x pipe and make it louder?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have Mach shorty balanced. I put headers on no cats. Kook 1 7/8.... this bitch sounds good now lol Above is right headers will open her up.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had put on just the Solo Axle backs a while back and definitely was better than stock but not nearly good enough for me. So, I had DMH Performance Exhaust Cutouts put on. Now, I have the option..............run a little quiet..........or run with the exhaust WIDE OPEN. Love it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update, I cut out the mid muffler and put in an X pipe. She sounds pretty good now. Headers, CAI and tune coming next

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The Solo's generally are expected to be installed without the mid-muffler in there. :D

It'll still become a little more subtle overtime. I, too, am rectifying that with some headers this weekend. Will be tuned in the coming weeks since the engine is back in the car now after some work. :D

I'll let you know how it sounds when I'm done. :D

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Too bad you cut it up. Stock cats are what is keeping it too quiet for you. Now you have no muffler and when the HFC or headers go on you will be pulled over for being too loud and then have to put something back on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Too bad you cut it up. Stock cats are what is keeping it too quiet for you. Now you have no muffler and when the HFC or headers go on you will be pulled over for being too loud and then have to put something back on.
Agreed. The headers with or without cats will give you the extra loudness you want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Currently running the stock headers,stock cats, then cat back with x pipe. But I did keep the shorty mid muffler for when the headers go on in case it is too loud. Wheels and tires have to come before the headers so in the mean time, I'm satisfied with the current set up.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The cops around here don't pull anybody over for sound unless they're acting like fools. Then it will go into the citation just to teach the offending maniac a lesson. :D

If it were otherwise, there would be no Diesel Pickups with smoke stacks that sound like semis from 200 yards away while still making everybody wince in audiological pain because they like running in the lowest gear possible at all times just to show everybody how manly they feel... :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts