Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 516 Posts

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All of us at Solo Performance are glad to be able to release another unique exhaust kit to the G8 community. The G8 Axle-Back exhaust kit is a direct bolt on kit. It bolts onto the flange muffler connection of the stock Pontiac exhaust. Solo’s G8 Axle-Back exhaust kit is made of T409 stainless steel and comes with J-pipes to eliminate the dreaded G8 drone. The tips are polished T304 stainless steel, dual 3” staggered.

This kit was designed to be an affordable alternative to our full cat back exhaust kits. The sound is incredible. It sounds very similar to our full G8 Mach exhaust kit. It has a wonderful tone throughout the spectrum and sounds deep and mean on the outside, while maintaining a subdued pleasant tone on the inside. We would recommend this exhaust kit for the customers who are looking for an incredible sound at a great price. The 4 cylinder mode is low and “guttural.” Not many would call the 4 cyl note pleasing but it does not drone and it certainly is bearable. The 8 cyliner mode has a rich, full, deep, aggressive tone. It was hard for us to believe this quality of exhaust note could be achieved with only an axle back replacement. This kit comes with gaskets and all necessary hardware.

Thanks to John (JEC G8GT) for coming all the way from PA to let us design and test this axle back kit on his car. It was a lot of fun!

Price: $448 (includes shipping)

Kits will start to ship at the end of next week!

To order, please call:
Steve Mariano
516-655-9002
(7 Days a Week, up until midnight EST)

Axle-Back Kit- Drive By

Axle-Back Kit- Start-Up and Take-Off

Axle-Back Kit- Start-Up and Take-Off II

Pictures:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
saweeeet!

·
Registered
551 Posts
early AM ?

I am very interested - and impressed.
I do leave for work early - before 6AM.
Any chance you could create a clip where
you basically "idle away" from a standstill -
as I would leave my subdivision?

Thanks!
And great work!
- Ray
Checking bank account balance as soon as I finish typing this....

·
Registered
529 Posts

Thanks!
And great work!
- Ray
The axlebacks are not loud unless you jump on it. They are awesome at start up then mellow down...if your idling out they will be a tad louder then stock.
Wife and Neighbor friendly.

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks!
And great work!
- Ray
I wish we could but the test car is already back in the owners hand...the sound can very much be controlled by the throttle. It is very user-friendly. If you are concerned about waking people up, then simply lay off the throttle a bit on take-off and all will be well:)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey solo, can i get a clip where you start the car, then get out and push it a couple of yards then get in the passenger side, climb over, take off, then do a drive by in neutral while revving? Only if you have time of course, but i think i'd also like a video with the left tips removed, at dusk on a tuesday, while in a McDonald's drive through.
Just testing the customer service..... I wonder if these guys have a breaking point??

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sounds awesome!

Question: I have the mid-muffler and resonators replaced with an X-pipe. Will the axlebacks be much louder on my car vs. putting them on a stock exhaust? Will it also be mostly controllable by how much you put your foot down? FWIW, my X-pipe doesn't seem much louder than stock to begin with.

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds awesome!

Question: I have the mid-muffler and resonators replaced with an X-pipe. Will the axlebacks be much louder on my car vs. putting them on a stock exhaust? Will it also be mostly controllable by how much you put your foot down? FWIW, my X-pipe doesn't seem much louder than stock to begin with.
The axle-backs should raise the volume by about 10% with your setup. The axle-back kit is very controllable with your foot...it is very user-friendly. The J pipes kill any drone.

·
go wings!
552 Posts
Sounds awesome!

I'll let you know and take a video when I get mine ;-) I've got my mid stuff deleted and replaced with an X.

Thanks, Steve & Solo!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'll let you know and take a video when I get mine ;-) I've got my mid stuff deleted and replaced with an X.

Thanks, Steve & Solo!
Let me know as well. I'm considering these as well, but I don't want it to be too loud. With these axle-backs and our set up, this will be a "muffler-less" catback setup... May need these for the weekend and the GXPs for the rest of the week... :driving:

·
Registered
738 Posts
So how will a full bolt on head cam g8 do??to loud or suttle with no drone??I got full kooks system to magnalfow muffs sounds like sex but drone sounds like a steady vibrator on speed setting!!!

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So how will a full bolt on head cam g8 do??to loud or suttle with no drone??I got full kooks system to magnalfow muffs sounds like sex but drone sounds like a steady vibrator on speed setting!!!
The J pipes on the axle-back should take care of a lot of that drone!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Any chance you could weld on 3.5" tips for those with the GXP diffusor?

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Those axlebacks sound great. The best sounding axlebacks I've heard thats for sure. If I didn't already have the V2 I would jump all over these. The J's make it future proof so if you take your stock system and add an x pipe and replace the mid muff it is still all good. Great job solo!

·
Registered
318 Posts
In the cats thread, it says JEC_G8GT's car has them (SOLO cats). In the videos posted here, the axle-back's are the only non-factory exhaust component installed, right?

By the way, I think a picture of a cat-back rear section snuck in there. 2nd one down.

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any chance you could weld on 3.5" tips for those with the GXP diffusor?
They don't fit in the jig, but we can include them with band clamps, and then you could have a shop fit and tack weld them.

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the cats thread, it says JEC_G8GT's car has them (SOLO cats). In the videos posted here, the axle-back's are the only non-factory exhaust component installed, right?

By the way, I think a picture of a cat-back rear section snuck in there. 2nd one down.
The axle-back was the only thing that was not factory. You are correct. The cat-back rear section and the axle-backs are very similar. JEC G8GT let us design the axle-back on his car, and then after it was complete, he purchased and had us install one of our cat-backs and HF cats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I buy the axle back system now, will I be able to integrate a SOLO midpipe later on?

1 - 20 of 516 Posts