Pontiac G8 Forum banner

461 - 480 of 516 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Solo - I have a g8 gt with the GXP rear diffuser and I'd like to buy your axleback exhaust. I tried to order via your website but I'm not seeing any option to indicate that I want the 3.5" tips. Can you help me? thanks

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
Solo - I have a g8 gt with the GXP rear diffuser and I'd like to buy your axleback exhaust. I tried to order via your website but I'm not seeing any option to indicate that I want the 3.5" tips. Can you help me? thanks
The larger tips are special order. Please call me direct to place an order with the larger 3.5" tips (which only fit the GXP diffuser). Unlike the 3" tips, the 3.5" tips have to be tack welded on. The standard 3" quads already come welded on.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The larger tips are special order. Please call me direct to place an order with the larger 3.5" tips (which only fit the GXP diffuser). Unlike the 3" tips, the 3.5" tips have to be tack welded on. The standard 3" quads already come welded on.
Ordered yesterday! Looking forward to being able to hear my car growl again. I've been running the stock axleback since October!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Question About quality. I see that the solo axleback seem to have lots of surface rust from board pics. I have not seen that on other axlebacks systems. Is the steel not a heavy gage stainless up to the tips. If so why do they rust compared to other brands? Really want a Solo for the drone but it needs to be able to take the northern elements and still look great with min. maintenance.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Question About quality. I see that the solo axleback seem to have lots of surface rust from board pics. I have not seen that on other axlebacks systems. Is the steel not a heavy gage stainless up to the tips. If so why do they rust compared to other brands? Really want a Solo for the drone but it needs to be able to take the northern elements and still look great with min. maintenance.

This has NOTHING to do with quality, as SOLO quality is top notch.

It has to do with the inherent differences (and costs) of stainless steel grading.

T409 stainless (what solo uses on their pipes but NOT their mufflers or tips) is more cost-effective, yet just as reliable, than T304 (SOLO uses T304 for their MACH and MACH Shorty mufflers, as well as their TIPS .... whereas in contrast, corsa uses T304 throughout ... which stays shiny forever, alebit you pay substantially more for this "look" from corsa) ... and EITHER/BOTH will last 10-15 years under normal circumstances.

The stock exhaust is also made of T409, in case you didn't know.

Are you one of those people who puts a mirror under your car at carshows to show the undercarrage shine? If so, find an exhaust system comprised entirely of T304, and save your pennies. IF NOT, then SOLO may fit your needs.

It's stainless steel. It's what happens to T409 stainless steel when exposed to elements. It works great for cars that have exhaust gasses flowing through them, (the overall purpose?), and does this very well as "drone free" with the J-pipes that I co-developed with SOLO back in January 2010, on my own car.

Any surface discoloration is easily removable by some elbow grease and tools/materials made to shine up stainless. If you're into that sort of thing. On my car, I can only see the tips, so I ensure that those are nice and shiny, the rest just is more "function" for my daily driver needs.

I'm on my third year with SOLO Catback on my G8, (I was one of the first to try SOLO) and I drive my g8 year round through all winters, snow, salt, sleet, you name it. No issues at all, NONE. Sure, it might have some discoloration on the parts that I can't see, and I could care less. Not a single leak or imperfection at all.

PS -- my car is daily driven through whatever nature and the city (salt) throws at it. Not a problem.

Hope this helps.

--zepcom

·
Registered
290 Posts
One of your best posts Zep, in my opinion! -- I want Solo!!!

This has NOTHING to do with quality, as SOLO quality is top notch.

It has to do with the inherent differences (and costs) of stainless steel grading.

T409 stainless (what solo uses on their pipes but NOT their mufflers or tips) is more cost-effective, yet just as reliable, than T304 (SOLO uses T304 for their MACH and MACH Shorty mufflers, as well as their TIPS .... whereas in contrast, corsa uses T304 throughout ... which stays shiny forever, alebit you pay substantially more for this "look" from corsa) ... and EITHER/BOTH will last 10-15 years under normal circumstances.

The stock exhaust is also made of T409, in case you didn't know.

Are you one of those people who puts a mirror under your car at carshows to show the undercarrage shine? If so, find an exhaust system comprised entirely of T304, and save your pennies. IF NOT, then SOLO may fit your needs.

It's stainless steel. It's what happens to T409 stainless steel when exposed to elements. It works great for cars that have exhaust gasses flowing through them, (the overall purpose?), and does this very well as "drone free" with the J-pipes that I co-developed with SOLO back in January 2010, on my own car.

Any surface discoloration is easily removable by some elbow grease and tools/materials made to shine up stainless. If you're into that sort of thing. On my car, I can only see the tips, so I ensure that those are nice and shiny, the rest just is more "function" for my daily driver needs.

I'm on my third year with SOLO Catback on my G8, (I was one of the first to try SOLO) and I drive my g8 year round through all winters, snow, salt, sleet, you name it. No issues at all, NONE. Sure, it might have some discoloration on the parts that I can't see, and I could care less. Not a single leak or imperfection at all.

PS -- my car is daily driven through whatever nature and the city (salt) throws at it. Not a problem.

Hope this helps.

--zepcom

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had 409 steel on my h-pipe and catback for my previous car (2001 Ford Mustang GT). The tips were 304. I had a little discoloration and minor surface rust on the h-pipe and catback after 3 years of salt/etc. but it was absolutely solid and not at all "rusting out". The tips looked brand new once you put some polish to them.

That's all I'm expecting with the Solo axleback I just ordered from Steve. I want high quality tips that seriously resist discoloration and fading but for the rest of the axleback, my personal experience with 409 says that's more than adequate.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Got mine installed and they sound great. The 4 cyl mode is not that bad. I think the description on Solo's website about being a "guttural" sound is accurate. Not exactly a pleasant sound but certainly not unbearable.

Might try the x-pipe to replace the pup cats and mid-muffler next.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Got mine installed and they sound great. The 4 cyl mode is not that bad. I think the description on Solo's website about being a "guttural" sound is accurate. Not exactly a pleasant sound but certainly not unbearable.

Might try the x-pipe to replace the pup cats and mid-muffler next.

When you say the 4cyl mode you mean Drone from it on the road?? So there is drone?? If you had to drive 4000 miles from NJ to UT and back would it become unbearable doing 70-80mph for 14 hrs straight?

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
When you say the 4cyl mode you mean Drone from it on the road?? So there is drone?? If you had to drive 4000 miles from NJ to UT and back would it become unbearable doing 70-80mph for 14 hrs straight?
From my experience (Mach Balanced + HFCs), when AFM is active, the drone in the 70-80 mph range is more than I would want to bear for a long trip. I honestly don't think that this can be helped, though: exhaust can only be tuned so much, and certain RPMs and engine loads (always important to remember engine load!) will cause a resonance unless there is a lot of muffling involved (like with the stock system). The same is true of 4-cylinder mode: the Js are nominally "tuned" to make V8 cruising a pleasure, but the price paid for that is a gutteral "tuba" sound in 4-cylinder mode. One cannot expect the same system working for a V8 engine to be suitable for 4-cylinder, and to Solo's credit, they're pretty up-front about that.

In V8 mode, though, 70-80 sounds great. If you can, get AFM tuned "off" for this speed (rpm) range; or, cruise in manual mode to disable AFM on a stock vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
And regarding the construction, 2 winters and 40,000+ km later, and the system is covered in surface rust but shows no sign of failing. The 304 tips shine up beautifully every time, inside and out; that's more than can be said for the stock tips most of the time!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well Solo states that there J pipe eliminates drone but I guess it actually does not. They also say that the 4 Cyl mode does not drone as well but I guess it does to the point were you wouldnt want to take it on a long trip.

Was goona get a Solo axle back but after hearing what you had to say and comparing it to what the company has to say I will probably be looking some place else. Thanks for your response and honesty..

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well Solo states that there J pipe eliminates drone but I guess it actually does not. They also say that the 4 Cyl mode does not drone as well but I guess it does to the point were you wouldnt want to take it on a long trip.

Was goona get a Solo axle back but after hearing what you had to say and comparing it to what the company has to say I will probably be looking some place else. Thanks for your response and honesty..
I have SOLO exhaust. There is no drone. And long trips are fine.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my experience is necessarily typical, or even applicable to an axleback-only system, but with my setup the report from my rear seat passengers is that 4-cylinder mode at 70-80 is not a pleasant experience. I have checked my Js and they are tight and perfectly balanced.

I am getting Livernois to tune AFM out above 1700 rpm, and all will be good :).

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have SOLO exhaust. There is no drone. And long trips are fine.

It seems its about a 50/50 chance. I have been reading posts of people complaining about the drone in the 4 cyl mode on the highway then there are people that dont have drone but most of them have there 4 cyl mode tuned out or they leave it in m6 on the highway.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my experience is necessarily typical, or even applicable to an axleback-only system, but with my setup the report from my rear seat passengers is that 4-cylinder mode at 70-80 is not a pleasant experience. I have checked my Js and they are tight and perfectly balanced.

I am getting Livernois to tune AFM out above 1700 rpm, and all will be good :).

Believe me the Solo sounds great but my wife doesnt want drone at all on the highway. We drive across country every year and it would be pretty unbearable especially with my 5yr old daughter and my 11 month old niece in the back the whole way.

Just dont like it when a company claims it elimates something when in fact thats not 100% true.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Believe me the Solo sounds great but my wife doesnt want drone at all on the highway. We drive across country every year and it would be pretty unbearable especially with my 5yr old daughter and my 11 month old niece in the back the whole way.

Just dont like it when a company claims it elimates something when in fact thats not 100% true.

With young kids and an audio-susceptible wife involved, I would definitely stick with your stock system, or maybe put GXP axlebacks on at most. I love the sound of my car from the outside, and I am willing to live with some resonances to get that sound; would a family that is not car-crazy? Likely not.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sound is an extremely subjective sense. What bothers some, doesn't bother others. If you want to be certain you have no drone, keep your stock exhaust. That's not meant to be mean spirited, so please don't take it that way. Both Corsa and Solo have issues with 4cyl mode. I can tell you from experience from having Corsa and all but one Solo catback on my car that the Solo handles drone and resonances the best. The Corsa was too loud inside the cabin with my setup. Once I put my Solo exhaust back on it was much quieter inside.

Thanks.. Will probably stick with stock axle backs..

Then why claim no drone when there actually is? Good thing I started to search for threads on these systems because I almost just purchased a Solo axle back thinking it was Drone free when in fact there is a good chance it wouldnt be.

461 - 480 of 516 Posts
About this Discussion
515 Replies
105 Participants
krobss
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing