Pontiac G8 Forum banner

481 - 500 of 516 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
To be fair, I'm not sure the Solo Performance section of the forum is an appropriate place to be talking about alternatives to Solo products.

Moderators: this thread might be best moved to the Exhaust Tech forum.

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
To be fair, I'm not sure the Solo Performance section of the forum is an appropriate place to be talking about alternatives to Solo products.

Moderators: this thread might be best moved to the Exhaust Tech forum.
You are absolutely right. I clicked on the link from my email account and thought this was already in the exhaust section. I have deleted my reference to other products as this is Solo's section.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I replied to 1998silverbird's comments in another thread, thought I'd cross-reference what I consider drone verses thrumming. The L76 engine has some terrible harmonics, but only you can decide what is right for your needs.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
I understand what you mean by your definition of "drone", but to me the V4 "tuba sound" is still drone, it's just in a lower frequency band. The "gurgly" sound in V4 mode is a set of frequencies (varying somewhat) that goes on and on; that, to me, is the definition of drone.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Compared to other exhausts I had on cars, I can say Solo has no drone.
The others were way worse. My wife doesn't complain about it.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
I just finished my first day of Solo Axlebacks and from my past experience with drone on my old BMW 540 with custom exhaust, I can say this does not drone at all. The afm sound is noticeable but not a drone and it doesn't bother me..... in fact I was actually trying to keep it going to see if it got annoying and it didn't. I'm in love with my new Solo axle back! I finally have that muscle car sound that this car deserves.

·
Registered
304 Posts
At 60MPH I hear only tire and wind noise. Can't even tell something was done to the exhaust.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm planning to have my Solo's shipped to my office so they don't sit on my front porch all day. Will they fit in the trunk or will I have to take them out of the box? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
You will definitely have to take them out of the box- it is a very large box

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
yep, take them out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've had my Solo axlebacks on for 500 miles now. The only other modification to the exhaust system is a X pipe where the mid-muffler used to be.

After I first installed them, there was no drone but a noticeable change in the exhaust note when DOD kicked in on the highway. I left the J-pipes the way they were setup from Solo and thought I would wait and see how it sounded after the break in period.

After 500 miles, the exhaust sounds even better/louder and the DOD kick over is almost non-existent now. It’s great driving in a downtown location with your windows down and hearing the V8 exhaust note echo off the buildings around you. I even let my buddy drive by in my car so I hear it firsthand outside of the car. Truly a perfect setup for the G8.

For those who think there's cabin drone with Solo axlebacks need to try the "washer mod" or some Magnaflows. Those are the definition of drone. Solo's, with some break in time and maybe a little adjustment of the J pipes, are much quieter in the cabin.

·
Registered
417 Posts
AFM mode = yuck regardless of the exhaust!

First, let me say I love my solo axleback. It sounds great and the quality/fit is top notch. And it doesn't drone in v8 mode whatsoever at highway speeds. Job well done solo.

However, I'll reiterate another point of view I've shared on this board regarding the AFM mode tone - it absolutely stinks. And that's fine - it's not designed to cancel out those awful tones. But I am telling you it's not good and I would 100% completely call it a "drone". You are going to hear it at highway speeds and it's not pleasant. You'll also hear AFM flickering on and off especially often when tooling around town in the 30-45 mph range.

I initially had straight pipes /muffler delete from PM of FL and the exhaust tone in v8 mode sounded about the same (good) as the solo axleback, except it droned. The AFM mode for both exhausts sounded the same to me - both equally awful.

I tried to convince myself that it wasn't bad until I had to live with it all winter....not good. I grew weary of it and bought a AFM-delete tune from VMS. Took care of the afm tone issues.

The Solo 100% cured the highway 2400-2900 rpm drone zone issues for me. Again, great product, but I wouldn't want anyone thinking the afm mode is "fine" and "liveable" for everyone. I just can't agree with that statement but I respect if anyone else has a different view.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
2400-2900 rpm on the highway? How fast are you going, man? I'm at, like, 1600 on the highway...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You must be cruising at 110 lol. I had throw cruise on at 77 on my way to work and it was at 1900 rpm.

Sent from my ballin' Galaxy S II

·
Registered
417 Posts
You must be cruising at 110 lol. I had throw cruise on at 77 on my way to work and it was at 1900 rpm.

Sent from my ballin' Galaxy S II
Ooops...think I was having flashbacks from my mustang with a 4.10 rear end!:driving:

Anyway...highway speed drone is gone with solo:wink2:

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #496
Thanks for the great feedback guys! We appreciate the support! If anyone has questions, feel free to call me at 516-655-9002 anytime!

Steve

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just ordered mine, after watching all the stock vs axleback videos and reading the reviews posted by so many I think it's the perfect first mod!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just ordered mine, after watching all the stock vs axleback videos and reading the reviews posted by so many I think it's the perfect first mod!
You're right man! You'll never regret it. Sound is amazing

·
Registered
312 Posts
They are awesome, absolute love mine. One thing is don't forget to paint them before you install, they will rust.

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #500
T409 stainless will develop surface rust in a more harsh climate, but that will not effect the longevity or performance of the product. The tips are T304 polished stainless, so they will stay shiny as long as you clean them. Thanks.

481 - 500 of 516 Posts
About this Discussion
515 Replies
105 Participants
krobss
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing