Pontiac G8 Forum banner

781 - 800 of 805 Posts

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
I agree with the coating and it does add a huge cost to the LT's which really brings down it's price/performance ratio. I was planning on going with some shorties to compliment the HFC's, but after speaking to Kirk, Steve and a couple others they convinced me that the shorty headers would not provide any gains.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I agree with the coating and it does add a huge cost to the LT's which really brings down it's price/performance ratio. I was planning on going with some shorties to compliment the HFC's, but after speaking to Kirk, Steve and a couple others they convinced me that the shorty headers would not provide any gains.

So then which is it?:bs: I think you've come full circle, Virus! :wink2:

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
So then which is it?:bs: I think you've come full circle, Virus! :wink2:
I'm easily swayed :D You add some coating to the headers and it gets pretty damn expensive! You add the cats on top of that and there is no way on Gods green earth that I'm going to spend that kind of money for minimal gains.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
I was thinking of getting shorties but everyone is trying to talk me out of it.

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Get the shorties and have Kirk do a Dyno tune and see what happens. If you don't like the results you can always sell em.

If I lived closer to VMS I would get them and get dyno tuned in a heartbeat. But being thousands of miles away I wouldn't be able to get the tune specific for my car and this bad boy runs lean enough.

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
Get the shorties and have Kirk do a Dyno tune and see what happens. If you don't like the results you can always sell em.

If I lived closer to VMS I would get them and get dyno tuned in a heartbeat. But being thousands of miles away I wouldn't be able to get the tune specific for my car and this bad boy runs lean enough.
Kirk said he's done tunes for them and they provided no benefit over the stock manifold.

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Kirk said he's done tunes for them and they provided no benefit over the stock manifold.
I have seen his dyno results for shorties on this board. I believe the car owner still had the stock cats in place as it was well before the release of the solos.

I thught the guy I believed gained power over the mid range and that's where I do most of my driving, not peak.

·
Registered
334 Posts
FWIW, when my guy tuned my car with a Rotofab, Corsa and Solo HFC, he told me that it came out within about 5-6 hp of what he normally sees with long tubes.

I have nothing other than that statement to back any of it up, but it leads me to conclude that the larger benefit of the LTs is the high flow cats.

I guess it's mostly about the CATS.

Curious to see impressions of the shorties after having had the HFCs for a while.

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #789
Thanks for the info 2GTOs...that is great to know...it's a great option for those that don't want to spend the money on headers and risk warranty issues based on a dealership seeing the headers under the hood.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have both the Kooks long tubes coated along with the Solo high flow cats. In my situation it did not show a huge gain in HP when on a dyno. It was expensive, but I also plan on keeping the car and adding both a cam and eventually supercharging it. This was the most cost effective option for the long run in my case. Spend a little more now, or spend a lot more later.

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #791
I have both the Kooks long tubes coated along with the Solo high flow cats. In my situation it did not show a huge gain in HP when on a dyno. It was expensive, but I also plan on keeping the car and adding both a cam and eventually supercharging it. This was the most cost effective option for the long run in my case. Spend a little more now, or spend a lot more later.
Just curious...what kind of horsepower and TQ are you pushing with your mods...I would have gone the same route as you if I had a G8, except for the tune (I would have a different one).

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was high 360's HP and mid 370's Torque. That was right on the edge of tuning though, so we backed it down some just for the sake of reliability I would say I'm probably about 10 less on each now. When I was first tuned I was disappointed on the numbers (expected the headers to give me more). The way the car drives though is the real test though and I do love it. The headers don't really appear to add much on an other wise just bolt-on car. Once I add a cam and eventually supercharger I'm sure the real benefit will be apparent. Even if it doesn't, I will still be telling myself they do. :)

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #793
HA HA the cam ad supercharger will DEFINITELY bring out the best...and it will sound sweeetttttt.....just thinking about supercharger whine makes me get all tingly inside.

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #794
We have our HF cats in stock and ready to ship. Give me a call anytime with questions or to place an order. You can reach me 7 days a week until midnight EST.

Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002
[email protected]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Okay its D day for me and after pretty much reading the entire Header Section of the forum and now this Thread all 40 pgs! haha i have just one question for everyone, see my sig for my mods i was going to go with a LT header option but think that just adding the HF CATS to my Solo Mach Shorty will be the best bang for buck agreed?

Also i will need solo performance in mississauga to see when they install the CATS weather or not i have these "pup cats" on my 09 GT, if so should they be removed for performance and sound benefit?

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
If you have pup cats they should be removed. It will add about 6th/tq

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
If you have a Shorty installed right now,then the pup cats are gone already.

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #798
Hello All,

SOLO Performance now has a new and improved website. The site has more comprehensive product specifications, as well as updated pricing. With the rising cost of stainless steel, we have decided to keep our pricing stable. This ensures that we will be able to continue delivering quality products at affordable prices. Visit our site at http://www.solo-performance.com and see all of our products for your G8. You can order directly off of our site, or call me direct to order at 516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST). Have a great day and thanks for the support:)

Steve, Jeff, and the SOLO Crew

781 - 800 of 805 Posts
About this Discussion
804 Replies
74 Participants
GOINGSOLO2
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing