Pontiac G8 Forum banner

521 - 540 of 574 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
thanks guys! really hard making the decision...love the solo sound but still not sure on the loudness i want. not going to get the cats so i would want the car to be somewhat loud. i read a thread where after time the regular mach doesn't sound as loud as it did but i guess that's personal preference so i can't go off of that. virus, i believe i am leaning toward the mach shorty balanced as you said since i won't run cats it might be just perfect. thanks again for the replies

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
thanks guys! really hard making the decision...love the solo sound but still not sure on the loudness i want. not going to get the cats so i would want the car to be somewhat loud. i read a thread where after time the regular mach doesn't sound as loud as it did but i guess that's personal preference so i can't go off of that. virus, i believe i am leaning toward the mach shorty balanced as you said since i won't run cats it might be just perfect. thanks again for the replies
The important thing to keep in mind is your long term goal for mods. The HFC's really fill out the overall sound of these exhausts as do Kooks headers. I assure you that neither of the two you are considering will be too loud without the cats or headers. They may be too loud for some with them. I unfortunately didn't get the opportunity at our last meet to hear the Shorty unbalanced w/cats inside the car, but outside it was pure bliss! There are some video's of the shorty's and my mach balanced on our skyline drive trip. The White car in the front was the shorty's and the one with the camera on the rear was the mach balanced.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
^^^ wow! they both sounded amazingly nice. your's was with the camera correct? and you have cats. does the white car also have cats do you know? and the white was shorty unbalanced correct? neither set-up sounded TOO loud, i think they were just perect. then again with cats too. maybe the mach shorty unbalanced may be the way to go without cats then.

·
Registered
216 Posts
^^^ wow! they both sounded amazingly nice. your's was with the camera correct? and you have cats. does the white car also have cats do you know? and the white was shorty unbalanced correct? neither set-up sounded TOO loud, i think they were just perect. then again with cats too. maybe the mach shorty unbalanced may be the way to go without cats then.

Took me couple weeks to make up my mind too. I must have watched all the demo videos a jillion times. If you don't plan on the HF cats then I think you'll really like the mach shorty. You won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
skyman, you're right about that...very tough decision. i was either looking at a mach shorty balanced or unbalanced. do you have the mach shorty? if so, how do you like it? balanced/unbalanced?

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
The video of the White Hot GXP in front was the Mach Shorty unbalanced with HFC's. The camera angle shooting backwards was of my Mach Balanced with HFC's. While this and other video's you watch are certainly entertaining, they do not sound anything like the real thing. They don't capture the full spectrum of audio accurately for any manufacturer. Corsa's actually sound better on camera than they do in person because their tone is much higher pitched. The Solo's are so very "American Muscle" deep that the camera's don't seem to accurately capture it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about performance numbers. Do any of these kits make a big difference in horse power or torque? I am interested in performance not too much with sound. Quiet is better. What's the hp/tq gains? I would buy one immediately if the gains are 20 plus. Thanks for the information guys

·
Registered
216 Posts
skyman, you're right about that...very tough decision. i was either looking at a mach shorty balanced or unbalanced. do you have the mach shorty? if so, how do you like it? balanced/unbalanced?
I went with the mach balanced and HF cats. The HF cats added about 10-15% to the overall volume\tone. I love the sound. Its a unique sound\tone. From all of the other Solo guys the mach shorty seems to be the sweet spot. If you want a tad more gruff tone go shorty unbalanced. Can't really go wrong either way and the customer serivce is top-notch.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
After 27 pages...very useful information but I might have missed it... has anybody swapped out OEM cats for Solo cats without changing anything else on their exhaust? I have an early '09 GT and want to upgrade slowly, eventually finishing with headers and full exhaust.

·
up-down-charmed-strange
50 Posts
I have the Mach Shorty Balanced - and lovin it everyday. They've quieted down a little after several hundred miles. (I'm still mulling over getting Solo's HFC) So if you're sure you won't get HFC, and you want loud, I'd say go with the Mach Shorty Unbalanced.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
After 27 pages...very useful information but I might have missed it... has anybody swapped out OEM cats for Solo cats without changing anything else on their exhaust? I have an early '09 GT and want to upgrade slowly, eventually finishing with headers and full exhaust.
What I've found that most people do is they get the catback system of their choice first, and then when they find that they need "more", they upgrade to the HF cats where you can realize a +25hp/+25tq boost in performance, not to mention the increased awesome sound that the new combo makes. Some out of this group get the entire catback of choice + HF Cats at the same time, which is also a win-win situation, if you can afford it all at once.

Putting HF cats on a factory exhaust will not net you hardly anything, the added sound that the cats give will not be there due to the restrictive stock rear 'axelback' mufflers, and the added performance that they give with a more free-flowing aftermarket catback exhaust system would be minimized, once again, by the stock mufflers.

Worth noting as well, If you have a 2009.5 car, the factory "#3 and #4" set of pup cats that are on your exhaust system are also restrictive (mainly added for NVH control) which will rob any benefits of putting the HF cats on.

Now if you're considering an ARH complete system (headers and rear pipes) or headers in general that are HF Cats compatible, then for some, the mach catback with a headers combo would be too loud. In that case, some have tried the headers + SOLO HF Cats + v2+j (their quietest catback kit) to offset the loudness/rawness that having headers gives.

When you have had a catback system and you upgrade to the HF Cats, the butt-dyno confirms that the throttle response is much better, and the car's power is improved considerably.

My recommendation is to get a catback and then consider HF cats after that... if you're looking to do stuff in different stages. That way each upgrade will be definitely worthwhile!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Not quite sure why the youtube feature isn't working?
The URL needs to be in the format of "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=" followed by the alphanumeric video ID - or else the YouTube plugin can't read/parse the URL. I fixed it for ya ;)

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #533
What about performance numbers. Do any of these kits make a big difference in horse power or torque? I am interested in performance not too much with sound. Quiet is better. What's the hp/tq gains? I would buy one immediately if the gains are 20 plus. Thanks for the information guys
The kits add about 15HP and 15TQ, and increase the throttle response. Adding the HF cats will boost you to 30+ HP and TQ. VMS has specific tunes for our cats and cat-backs that raises that number to 40HP and TQ with the HF cats and a cat-back kit. Everyone on here that has the cats and cat-backs will vouce that those numbers are for real. We had them dyno'd also.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
What I've found that most people do is they get the catback system of their choice first, and then when they find that they need "more", they upgrade to the HF cats where you can realize a +25hp/+25tq boost in performance, not to mention the increased awesome sound that the new combo makes. Some out of this group get the entire catback of choice + HF Cats at the same time, which is also a win-win situation, if you can afford it all at once.

Putting HF cats on a factory exhaust will not net you hardly anything, the added sound that the cats give will not be there due to the restrictive stock rear 'axelback' mufflers, and the added performance that they give with a more free-flowing aftermarket catback exhaust system would be minimized, once again, by the stock mufflers.

Worth noting as well, If you have a 2009.5 car, the factory "#3 and #4" set of pup cats that are on your exhaust system are also restrictive (mainly added for NVH control) which will rob any benefits of putting the HF cats on.

Now if you're considering an ARH complete system (headers and rear pipes) or headers in general that are HF Cats compatible, then for some, the mach catback with a headers combo would be too loud. In that case, some have tried the headers + SOLO HF Cats + v2+j (their quietest catback kit) to offset the loudness/rawness that having headers gives.

When you have had a catback system and you upgrade to the HF Cats, the butt-dyno confirms that the throttle response is much better, and the car's power is improved considerably.

My recommendation is to get a catback and then consider HF cats after that... if you're looking to do stuff in different stages. That way each upgrade will be definitely worthwhile!
Thanks for the get back...

Yeah, I know going cat-back is the preferred 1st upgrade but I don't want to commit to either Corsa, Borla, or a Solo system until I have heard them up close and personal. I know I will go HFCs. If info shows that using HFCs and catback will produce fairly comparable #s to headers, which would be my last mod.

If HFCs alone will do nothing with a stock exhaust, I will wait until I choose the catback.

My GT is an '09, not '09.5.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Drive up here to Rochester, I'll show you how the solo sounds. It'll be worth the trip.:driving:

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't want to commit to either Corsa, Borla, or a Solo system until I have heard them up close and personal.
Thats where I'm at right now...can't decide between Solo Mach system and Borla. Need to hear them and ride in a car.

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
Thanks for the get back...

Yeah, I know going cat-back is the preferred 1st upgrade but I don't want to commit to either Corsa, Borla, or a Solo system until I have heard them up close and personal. I know I will go HFCs. If info shows that using HFCs and catback will produce fairly comparable #s to headers, which would be my last mod.

If HFCs alone will do nothing with a stock exhaust, I will wait until I choose the catback.

My GT is an '09, not '09.5.
There seems to be quite a few different numbers floating around here. cat-back is actually widely considered the be the 3rd most important upgrade behind Tune and CAI. Tune and CAI together will net you around 26-27hp. Any of the Solo Cat-Back systems will realistically provide 8-12hp/tq with the median average being 10hp/tq. The cats on an 09.5 GT will net you 8hp/tq. While this number seems low, it's squarely the result of the rear set of pup cats. I have seen no credible hp/tq numbers with the cats on an 08 or 09 without the 2nd set of pup cats. Vector Motorsports did some meticulous testing of the cats on an 09.5 GT running dyno's each step of the way. Some of those numbers I have posted here. The final numbers for CAI, Solo Catback, Solo HFC's and the VMS 93 octane tune came in at 59hp/38tq gain over a completely stock 09.5 GT. Those numbers are equally as good as the Kooks mid length headers w/cats and in my humble opinion the Solo HFC's sound better than the headers when mated with a Solo exhaust.

One piece of advice I strongly urge you to consider when watching/listening to the online videos posted. Not one of them accurately reproduces the exact sound of any of the exhaust manufacturers. You either have to go out on a limb and just trust the judgment of those before you or you can try to locate someone near so you can listen in person. The Solo exhausts produce a deeper "American Muscle" note when compared to Corsa, Borla, SLP or Magnaflow. These low frequencies do not translate well in the videos. The Corsa on the other hand has a much higher pitched note and while some of the online videos sound great, it really doesn't accurately convey what is heard in person. It's quite different I assure you! One thing that's not up to discussion is drone. Only Corsa and Solo have the market cornered in this area. Every time we have a meet, everyone always comments on how good the Solo's sound. More so than any of the other exhausts. One last thing that I urge you to strongly consider is customer service. Steve, Jeff and the entire group at Solo provide the most outstanding customer service I have ever experienced in my entire 39 years of life. I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to meet several of them when I took the 7-8 hour trip from VA to Buffalo, NY. I also had the pleasure of meeting Zepcom, Majesticix and Cntryclub007 while I was at the Buffalo shop.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Well said. F Borla and Corsa. Go Solo or go home. You'll spend less and get as good if not better sound. For the price of the Corsa system you can get yourself a Solo Short Catback and some HFC's for around the same price. I can assure you that sound will dominate the Corsa, and provide far greater performance impact than a catback alone.

Game. Set. Match.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
There seems to be quite a few different numbers floating around here. cat-back is actually widely considered the be the 3rd most important upgrade behind Tune and CAI. Tune and CAI together will net you around 26-27hp. Any of the Solo Cat-Back systems will realistically provide 8-12hp/tq with the median average being 10hp/tq. The cats on an 09.5 GT will net you 8hp/tq. While this number seems low, it's squarely the result of the rear set of pup cats. I have seen no credible hp/tq numbers with the cats on an 08 or 09 without the 2nd set of pup cats. Vector Motorsports did some meticulous testing of the cats on an 09.5 GT running dyno's each step of the way. Some of those numbers I have posted here. The final numbers for CAI, Solo Catback, Solo HFC's and the VMS 93 octane tune came in at 59hp/38tq gain over a completely stock 09.5 GT. Those numbers are equally as good as the Kooks mid length headers w/cats and in my humble opinion the Solo HFC's sound better than the headers when mated with a Solo exhaust.

One piece of advice I strongly urge you to consider when watching/listening to the online videos posted. Not one of them accurately reproduces the exact sound of any of the exhaust manufacturers. You either have to go out on a limb and just trust the judgment of those before you or you can try to locate someone near so you can listen in person. The Solo exhausts produce a deeper "American Muscle" note when compared to Corsa, Borla, SLP or Magnaflow. These low frequencies do not translate well in the videos. The Corsa on the other hand has a much higher pitched note and while some of the online videos sound great, it really doesn't accurately convey what is heard in person. It's quite different I assure you! One thing that's not up to discussion is drone. Only Corsa and Solo have the market cornered in this area. Every time we have a meet, everyone always comments on how good the Solo's sound. More so than any of the other exhausts. One last thing that I urge you to strongly consider is customer service. Steve, Jeff and the entire group at Solo provide the most outstanding customer service I have ever experienced in my entire 39 years of life. I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to meet several of them when I took the 7-8 hour trip from VA to Buffalo, NY. I also had the pleasure of meeting Zepcom, Majesticix and Cntryclub007 while I was at the Buffalo shop.
Hey folks... I appreciate all the info... I do believe I said I wanted to listen to them up close and personal before making my decision. This isn't my first bbq and I don't buy without first trying the samples :) Since it appears that nobody has actually done HFCs first, I'll hold until I choose my catback. Drone doesn't bother me... I've owned many cars in 36 years of driving and all have had loud exhausts with some type of drone, include a 70s Camaro with sidepipes and glasspacks.

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
Hey folks... I appreciate all the info... I do believe I said I wanted to listen to them up close and personal before making my decision. This isn't my first bbq and I don't buy without first trying the samples :) Since it appears that nobody has actually done HFCs first, I'll hold until I choose my catback. Drone doesn't bother me... I've owned many cars in 36 years of driving and all have had loud exhausts with some type of drone, include a 70s Camaro with sidepipes and glasspacks.
Drone in this car is like none other. 105db's it was with the V2 before the J's I believe! Anyway, there have been a couple people that have done the HFC's on a stock setup. I believe Darryn has them on his stock 09 or 09.5. He likes them a lot.

521 - 540 of 574 Posts
About this Discussion
573 Replies
87 Participants
GOINGSOLO2
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing