Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just talked to a performance shop in regards to an exhaust and now I can't make up my mind. It would cost me 300-400 in labor for the SOLO with an x-pipe which is gonna put the overall price at 800-900$$$. If I'm gonna spend that would I be better off buying the $980 Borla catback??? Which is really gonna give me that Deep v8 rumble and not disturb my newborn? Thanks

· Registered
165 Posts
Your labor estimates are way high. I paid 150 for a magnaflow x-pipe & install and that was on the high end. The axle back install is sooo easy you should do it yourself.

That being said, if you did decide on the borla catback, I would recommend a solo catback before the borla.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your labor estimates are way high. I paid 150 for a magnaflow x-pipe & install and that was on the high end. The axle back install is sooo easy you should do it yourself.

That being said, if you did decide on the borla catback, I would recommend a solo catback before the borla.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That's what the shop quoted me at.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Borla is not a good choice if your worried about disturbing your newborn

· Registered
676 Posts
that shop is ripping your off. Its a very easy install for the axleback to do yourself and others pay $40-$100 for the x-pipe install.

I was very happy with the x-pipe and solo axlebacks though, I for sure recommend them.

· Northeast G8 Owners Club
2,286 Posts
I absolutely love my Borla! I was eying the SOLO for a while but won a half of certificate for the Borla at a G8 show. I have no complaints and its mated to Kooks mid lengths with high flow cats. If you plan to keep DOD turned on it will drone when DOD is engaged. I had my DOD tuned out before the exhaust so no issue for me. Love it on start up but normal highway driving you forget it's there! It also has the thumbs up from the wife!!!

I vote Borla! Also I'm addicted to the Borla tips and their polish. Lol I'm addicted to shining them up and just staring at them for a while!

· Northeast G8 Owners Club
2,286 Posts
Borla is not a good choice if your worried about disturbing your newborn
Maybe if he keeps DOD/AFM on but if he tunes it out Borla is a nicer exhaust than Corsa and Solo. Nice and loud on start up and hard throttle but very civil otherwise. Borla sounds much better than Corsa and better quality than SOLO IMO! Corsa sold tons because it does not drone with DOD/AFM on our cars! By now most people either have a cam or has it turned off regardless of Exhaust.

· Registered
165 Posts
Maybe if he keeps DOD/AFM on but if he tunes it out Borla is a nicer exhaust than Corsa and Solo. Nice and loud on start up and hard throttle but very civil otherwise. Borla sounds much better than Corsa and better quality than SOLO IMO! Corsa sold tons because it does not drone with DOD/AFM on our cars! By now most people either have a cam or has it turned off regardless of Exhaust.
You are in a very small percentage on that opinion.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
He's appears to be stock, and in that case borla is very noisy

· Premium Member
5,109 Posts
The labor quote is absurd! You are being taken advantage of by this Performance Shop. Go to a local Muffler shop and get another quote.

What helps as well is to walk in with the Xpipe in hand and explain to them simply what you want done. Portraying the confidence and acting like you know your schit will keep the sharks tame and you will get a proper quote and they will get right to work. There are literally 2000 threads on here on where and what kind of Xpipe to buy. Of course they are stainless.

Don't let the shop talk you into anything else, or you will end up disappointed with an Xpipe welded in the wrong place.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The labor quote is absurd! You are being taken advantage of by this Performance Shop. Go to a local Muffler shop and get another quote.

What helps as well is to walk in with the Xpipe in hand and explain to them simply what you want done. Portraying the confidence and acting like you know your schit will keep the sharks tame and you will get a proper quote and they will get right to work. There are literally 2000 threads on here on where and what kind of Xpipe to buy. Of course they are stainless.

Don't let the shop talk you into anything else, or you will end up disappointed with an Xpipe welded in the wrong place.
That's what I'm gonna do

· Registered
49 Posts
I personally havnt heard the borla catback in person but I love my solo axle back an x pipe. It's not horribly loud but not quiet either. You can do the axle back yourself its only two bolts on each side and 400 is the biggest rip off to install an x pipe. I had mine installed for 100.

· Registered
5,346 Posts
That shop was playing it safe with the labour. Some aftermarket exhaust is horrible for fit. Not a problem with Solo or Borla. Do yourself a favour. Only buy a full cat back, Solo or Borla. Cutting up the stock won't save you any money in the end if you are adding an x-pipe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.