Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 3.6L V6
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last August I bought an 09 G8 (honestly has become the love of my life at this point). I bought it from a dealership, has high miles on it, new motor mounts and breaks and nothing's gone wrong with it since I've bought it (except I found out no one put any grease on the battery terminals. Boy was I concerned when it dropped way below freezing and it wouldn't start xD). Anyways, what could I do to improve my G8s longevity and performance as it nears it's 200k? Any maintenance tips or things to look out for?

I appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
7,446 Posts
Regular, routine maintenance such as draining/refilling (exchanging) all of the fliuds. Thorough suspension and steering components inspection. Changing the oil and oil filter well before the oil life monitor requires. Keeping the oil level at or near the full mark.

Reactions: BAS G8

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Check the gap under the round plates (with rubber edge) visible at the top of the struts. The gap under them shows how much the bushing just inside the strut tower has collapsed. The more gap, the more the top of the strut can shift around (up/down and sideways). So not good for handling and if really bad, clunking over bumps. (The good guys here know how to post links addressing this common problem)

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 3.6L V6
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the gap under the round plates (with rubber edge) visible at the top of the struts. The gap under them shows how much the bushing just inside the strut tower has collapsed. The more gap, the more the top of the strut can shift around (up/down and sideways). So not good for handling and if really bad, clunking over bumps. (The good guys here know how to post links addressing this common problem)
So far it's been handling really well, one annoyance is there's some rattling noise coming from the center console area. I think a screw or piece that was holding it may have come loose (it's been this way since September)

·
Premium Member
7,446 Posts
Rattle could also be coming from a loose heat-shied or other undercarriage competent.

Reactions: tchr49
1 - 5 of 5 Posts