Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the struts (Monroe PPV), springs (Tein), mounts (Polylast), forward control arms (Mevotech Supreme) a couple years ago. Sway bar bushings in the last year. Moog endlinks some years back.

I've had a bit of a clunk from the front left in recent months at slow speeds. In the last week, I can hear it at maybe 50 mph.

I've got the wheel off. Everything looks solid. I found two things.

The end of the spring isolator on the top coil is worn through and there is metal/metal coil contact when compressed.

Sports equipment Automotive tire Audio equipment Personal protective equipment Tints and shades

The other, I can push the suspension up by hand enough to close this 1/8"-3/16" gap between the strut body and dust boot. If I do it quick enough, there's a bit of a squeak and maybe even a bit of a fluid slosh sound. I mean, I lift, but should I be able to do that and should it make any sound? I'd video it but it's hard to do it with one hand.

Light Green Automotive tire Bicycle part Electrical wiring

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
If you didn’t keep the black plastic caps from the old struts, you can Roadkill them to the struts with HD black zip ties. If it is the spring making contact. Wrap a few layers of duct tape around it. If that cures the sound, the you will need new spring cushions.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Circle

Energy Suspension sells poly tube. You can cut out the bad section and replace it with a section of poly.

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, smooth roads don't make any sounds.

They rear lowers are not original. They've been replaced two or three times, can't remember at this point. I couldn't manage to make the ball joint wiggle by hand like I could before they were replaced the last time.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will say, the clunk is very much like what I was getting before I swapped the rest of the suspension. It was gloriously quiet... for a while.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
How often do you grease the ball joints?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Twice a year when I swap winter/summer wheels.

Reactions: GT Drew

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it wasn't the rear LCA. While the ball joint was not tight feeling, it did seem to stay within its prescribed motion, no lateral slop. A new Mevotech Supreme didn't fix it. All that's left is stuff that is less than 2 years old.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Do you have non-GM front sway bar bushings that have slotted brackets? If they are not all the way forward, they will clunk.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting thought. Is there anyway it would be getting worse? They are Energy. Don't recall whether they were slotted.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I had those. If they get loose, the bracket slides towards the rear. The subframe had a 45 deg angle behind the bar. Bracket ramps up if the nuts get loose. The new gap allows the bar to clunk. I switched back to the stock mount brackets and Nolathane poly mounts with a Teflon lining. No lube required. Stock brackets are way stronger than the aftermarket ones. Nolathane REV004.0202

1 - 11 of 11 Posts