Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my G for a couple weeks now. The dealer I bought it from put RSAs on it. I'm not crazy about Goodyears in general due to numerous out-of-round, and separation problems on customer cars. And on my personal car, I like them even less. Traction is horrible. Car is super sketchy above 85 and wet traction doesn't exist.

So now it comes down to, what are some good "all season" tires? Snow isn't an issue as I'm going to put a set of Blizzaks on in the winter. But I do need a tire that can grip under 40*. I would like to stay under $250/each for 255/40/19. Mounting/balancing is no issue as we have the equipment at work.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
You'll hear some of us saying that anything would be better than the RSAs.

I am in the same boat as you as I need all seasons as it could be in the 40s Sept-May. I've been planning replacements focussing on the B Stones 970AS as the latest and greatest. But I'm partial to Michelins and they are coming out with a new Pilot Sport AS/3 this summer. So I will be waiting for the new Michelins.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You'll hear some of us saying that anything would be better than the RSAs.
Anything would be better than the RSAs.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I usually go to the Tire Rack website and check out test results and reviews. Good stuff over there. I stick with BFG and Michelin myself, but it's because my Dad retired from BFG after 30+ years. BFG is a Michelin brand.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not many tires meet your size/price/all season requirements. Most likely one of those is going to have to give a bit.

·
Go fast grocery getter
610 Posts
You can duct tape some stroller wheels to this car and they would be better than those RSAs. Absolutely hated them.

·
Registered
371 Posts
General gmax as-03 in 255/40-19

$196 each on tire rack.

I just ordered mine from discount tire in 245/40 and 275/35 after reading up on tires for a month. As far as performance, price, and longevity goes the generals are by far the best all season performance tire. I didn't see any complaints when I was researching. I hear they are good in the dry and really good in the wet.

And like I said....they are cheap!

I'm going from rsa's the dealer put on as well and I'm excited. It will be another 2 weeks before discount tire gets my rims and tires all in tho :/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
191 Posts
I went from the stock RS-A's to Goodyear Eagle GT's, and could not believe the difference in traction. After 20k on the Goodyear's, I put on General AS-03's, and can't believe how much more traction I have compared to the worn Goodyear's. I used to think it was fun to drift around corners and get sideways during the 1-2 shift. Not anymore. The Generals have taken the fun away. Now I need more power. Stick with the RS-A's and have fun.

·
Now it's a Party
2,089 Posts
You can duct tape some stroller wheels to this car and they would be better than those RSAs. Absolutely hated them.
Lmao. Very true.

RSA's are horrible.

Hankooks are better. Generals are better. Bfgs are better. I've had them all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
207 Posts
Look into Nitto Motivo, Good price. Excellent reviews!!
I've had mine for about a month, no issues. Amazing wet traction!!

Before the Nitto's i had Hankook V12's no issues as well, but not as good wet traction. I got about 35,000 miles out of them.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I liked the bridgestones that came on my car. Just didn't feel like spending $300+ each for them when I bought new tires. I bought some federals and like them a lot. Traction and ride is the same as the bridgestones but the handling is a click or two below them. I have to run 40/44 psi in them to handle similar but still not quite as good.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I recently did the tire search and I too was kinda on a budget. Here's what I found. The cheapest are the general/ federal line. Next up are the falken line which I almost got ,I had pep boys at 440 out the door ,taxes and warranty and all. Next up was hankook which I had set at 457 out the door. Don't do the Dunlops ,can't recall the model right now. If budget wasnt a factor ,you'd have more options obviously. I was price comparing tire rack and other sites and the best I got wasn't tire rack. I had it all set to order tires from a site and when I started just doing the local shop thing. It turned out that the best deal I had was pep boys on the falkens. By the time I got done with taxes and shipping. The best online deal I had was around 457 and change ,note that it is for two tires. I only needed a pair. In the end I lucked out and got a pair form a member on the forum. Saved me some bucks and couldn't thank him enough. Well good luck

·
Registered
417 Posts
Continential DWS

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
I'm pretty sure RS-A's were purposely designed to be the worst possible tire ever... it does NOTHING well...

I've got Michelin Primacy MXM4's on my GXP and it actually hooks in 1st if its halfway warm outside.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
Continential DWS
that was an okay tire about 4yrs ago... now its just expensive and sucks compared to the rest... Michelin is about to release the Pilot Sport All Season 3 and its basically an all season super sport...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just put Toyo Proxes 4+ on my 20's for less than 700 out the door. So far they have great. They are an all season tire and have a 50k mileage warranty. On my stock 18's I was running continental extreme contact dws and they handle well also but a little more pricey.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.