Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Submarine Simeon
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got my new ddm hid kit from china and installed the headlights. I figured that i would post my review of the lights as well as show how i wired them to DRL/Parking lights. I was able to do it by reading a few different threads on here and decided i should put them all in one place for those who want to install these lights the "right" way.

So, these lights ARE plug and play, but WILL NOT work as DRLs out of the box. They will only work when the low beams are at full voltage, i.e. not in DRL mode.

First impression, these lights look amazing. The LED's are bright, the build is...acceptable, install was not hard if you know how to remove the front bumper clip. I've done it a few times, so it was easy for me. If you need help with that, feel free to ask.

I am NOT impressed with the projectors, however!!! The H1 bulbs dont put out as much light as the stock projectors with 55w HIDs and the beam cutoff is all over the place, where as stock was pretty damn solid and straight. The projectors are the only thing holding these lights back from being amazing. But, i can get over that because the LEDS look incredible.

The other crappy part about the projectors is how the H1 bulbs sit in the sockets. Its garbage. With the stock lights, the bulbs twist and "lock" in with a rubber grommet. The H1 bulbs on these lights are just placed in the hole and are held down by a flimsy spring clamp. Nothing really locking them in place. The H1 bulbs i got almost seemed too small for the projectors. The headlights came with some adapters...but im not sure what they are for. I tried installing one of them and it did absolutely nothing to help. Maybe someone could shed some light on a better bulb size to use for these projectors.

Here is a pic of the adapters they came with. They screw into the back of the projector.

To get started with rerouting the DRL function, see this thread:
Thanks to DVTdriver for the awesome write up!

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22897&highlight=drl

OK, as for wiring. The LED strip wires come out from the bottom of the housing, through a voltage regulator, and then to the headlight harness. I used a multimeter to find that the green wire is the +12vdc, so i used quicksplices to splice this wire to the DRL wire coming from under the fuse block.

Quick splice connector. I got 18-14 gauge connectors. Awesome little pieces of heaven!!!

The light green wire is from the LED strip and the dark green wire is my "DRL line"

The wire i made for DRL was long enough to go to both headlights. There, thats it for DRL. Simple!

Now, wiring the LEDs to the parking lights is even easier. Just do another quicksplice from the green wire to the right side harness (right side as in facing forward) parking lamp wire. Here is a thread that shows how to locate that wire:
Thanks to Zepcom for another awesome write up!

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38960

So, i used the wire for pin 6 Brown/White wire. There is enough room after the harness and before the wire loom to put a quick splice in there. Below is the light green wire from LED strip spliced to brown/white parking light wire. Remember, you only have to do this with ONE SIDE as the power for parking lights is shared between both sides. Makes things easier!

Thats it! I'm hoping that this thread will help those who are installing these headlights. I had to jump around the forums quite a bit to find what i needed, so hopefully this helps.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to speak up!

DRL/Parking lamp mode:

With low beams on:

·
2008 G8 GT
1,430 Posts
I'm almost always a form over function guy so I could not get around having low beams that are, what sounds like, are worse than the stock projectors/output, is this correct? Even with HID's installed?

Need to see pics unless they are in those links.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Now, wiring the LEDs to the parking lights is even easier. Just do another quicksplice from the green wire to the right side harness (right side as in facing forward) parking lamp wire. Here is a thread that shows how to locate that wire:
Thanks to Zepcom for another awesome write up!

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38960

So, i used the wire for pin 6 Brown/White wire. There is enough room after the harness and before the wire loom to put a quick splice in there.
You're most welcome! :D

EDIT: Guess it didn't work out as planned, at least DVTDriver was able to help you.

--zep

·
Submarine Simeon
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes ben, so far the light output is not as good as stock even with HID's. I think it may have to do also with the fact that DDM kits are chinese garbage. But, they are cheap...you get what you pay for.

The fitment is perfect. Honestly the only thing bad so far is the projector spread/cutoff and light output. I'm considering getting a better HID kit to see if it gets better.

I've only had these installed for a week and already have received multiple complements about them! They definitely set off the front end. And they match perfectly with my Sonar tail lights

·
2008 G8 GT
1,430 Posts
Yes ben, so far the light output is not as good as stock even with HID's. I think it may have to do also with the fact that DDM kits are chinese garbage. But, they are cheap...you get what you pay for.

The fitment is perfect. Honestly the only thing bad so far is the projector spread/cutoff and light output. I'm considering getting a better HID kit to see if it gets better.

I've only had these installed for a week and already have received multiple complements about them! They definitely set off the front end. And they match perfectly with my Sonar tail lights

I agree, they look AWESOME! and I have considered getting them but, and here comes the but, only if the output were the same or better from the low-beams.

I have the DDM 55W 4500 kit and I love the output it has given me and for only $60 or so shipped.

·
Submarine Simeon
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, the output of my old DDM kit coupled with stock headlights was amazing! Gonna miss that part...Dont get me wrong though, the brightness of the beams is almost the same, but the spread and amount of road illuminated by these lights is not as good as stock

·
2008 G8 GT
1,430 Posts
I only wish I was good/knowledgeable/talented enough to try swapping the projectors out and going that route.

Still, the DRL/LED's look awesome.

I'm just one of those guys who has a light-fetish as I want as much light as I can get at night as I love driving at night like I will be in 30 minutes or so.

·
Registered
151 Posts
any nite pic's yet of the porjectors spread/cutoff ???

·
2008 G8 GT
1,430 Posts
I was able to buy a set of new cutoffs for a set of Hella projectors I had on the C5 I had who made new ones so that the cutoff was both sharper and so the beam went further down the road.

All it was/is is a piece of metal/aluminum, cut just so and held in by 2 screws.

Hopefully, in time, someone on here will find a way for us to get that done but that is only if the cutoffs on our projectors is easily accessible and not molded in.

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
At least the LED's are White. I don't like when they "say" the LED's are white and they have a blue tint to them. I had to disconnect some LED accent lights on my Maxima because a cop told me they were blue.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I am NOT impressed with the projectors, however!!! The H1 bulbs dont put out as much light as the stock projectors with 55w HIDs and the beam cutoff is all over the place, where as stock was pretty damn solid and straight. The projectors are the only thing holding these lights back from being amazing. But, i can get over that because the LEDS look incredible.

The other crappy part about the projectors is how the H1 bulbs sit in the sockets. Its garbage. With the stock lights, the bulbs twist and "lock" in with a rubber grommet. The H1 bulbs on these lights are just placed in the hole and are held down by a flimsy spring clamp. Nothing really locking them in place. The H1 bulbs i got almost seemed too small for the projectors. The headlights came with some adapters...but im not sure what they are for. I tried installing one of them and it did absolutely nothing to help. Maybe someone could shed some light on a better bulb size to use for these projectors.
No surprises there. Spyder auto made some cool looking projectors for the Grand Prix. But the fit, aim & sturdiness of them was garbage. I'll never buy another Spyder auto product & I'll never again tamper with my headlights. Especially not on this car. I find the stock light output fantastic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fellas,

Well...I have to give BobTheMonkee so much props and credit for his pics and write-up. Everything worked flawlessly. THANKS so much Bob!

I did learn after speaking with Sonar/Spyder about the "adapters" that came with the light assembly. The 2 gray adapters/bracket is NOT needed for the G8, however for non-US vehicles(i.e. Commodores, Vauxhall, Chinese Buicks, and Middleast Impalas) The person from Sonar/Spyder non-US models use a different bulb besides a H7....mystery solved!!!

Feel free to drop me a line if any has questions.

Regards

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
new headlights look mean.

·
Registered
131 Posts
IMO led strips belong only in audis... this is rice...

·
Submarine Simeon
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
glad i could help shaun. And im glad you got everything working right.

8up, you are rice! I guess that means all the new cars that are being manufactured with LED strips that ARENT audi's are rice too, huh?

your logic is childish

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did learn after speaking with Sonar/Spyder about the "adapters" that came with the light assembly. The 2 gray adapters/bracket is NOT needed for the G8, however for non-US vehicles(i.e. Commodores, Vauxhall, Chinese Buicks, and Middleast Impalas) The person from Sonar/Spyder non-US models use a different bulb besides a H7....mystery solved!!!
I can vouche for the Middle East Lumina/Caprice bulb size differences. Actually waiting on new bulbs before I install these headlights. The guy I bought my Lumina SS from has some crap brand (never heard of) HIDs installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also, I'm installing these for increased visibilty. The stock lights on the '07 ME Lumina SS are horrible. They do not have a 'projector' lens. The DRL bulbs are seperate from the actual low beams and are a very dim, yellowish bulb. I'll have to post pics for you to understand how bad it is. Horrible, I say!
Any who, the DRLs will increase my visibility to the other drivers out here, so that maybe they will actually see me before they cut me off or try to share a lane with me. FYI: Absolutely the worst drivers EVA in Bahrain.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts