Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have long tube 1 3/4 . No rear mufflers. Question -
What will be the difference in sound if I remove mid muffler vs removing resonators ? Also, does one over the other removed give better performance with tune ?

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Middle muffler helps with the drone.
Resonators help with popping/crackling/drone.

It's mostly a noise preference, maybe a little power (and noise) will be gained with larger pipes.

I like x-pipe up front, and mufflers out back...no need for resonators IMO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have removed all except the stock headers with cats... only proformamce I seen is from a 80 pull you climb up faster due to the air flow... and yes it is loud other ppl complain about the drone but I'm 1-out of all g8 I have no drone

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have longtubes, no cats and Dyno Max mufflers, nothing in between. No drone and not that loud, until you hit the gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have longtubes, no cats and Dyno Max mufflers, nothing in between. No drone and not that loud, until you hit the gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have emission test where you live for the cats?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have long tubes with no cats and pypes axle backs. Just this Friday I had the mid muffler and resonators deleted and added an x pipe and it is gnarly!! Sounds great but it's a little obnoxious. Probably going to put the resonators back in place or do something a little different. As good as it sound it's loud!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I got long tubes and pypes axle backs as well no mid muffler or resonators and it's loud as hell. Kinda sounds a little like a Harley when you get on it. Just got a magnaflow mid muffler I think I'm going to run a mid muffler and take off the mufflers in the back. Not sure how it will sound or if it will be louder.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got long tubes and pypes axle backs as well no mid muffler or resonators and it's loud as hell. Kinda sounds a little like a Harley when you get on it. Just got a magnaflow mid muffler I think I'm going to run a mid muffler and take off the mufflers in the back. Not sure how it will sound or if it will be louder.

After some research I'm going to go with the magnaflow mid muffler for sure.
I love the sound of my car but it's just too damn loud for a daily.

I feel like a dick for every early morning cold start I do lol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had the magnaflow installed past the x pipe and I'm not too happy about it at this point. I don't know if it is because it crosses twice, but it sounds like a V6 at certain RPMs and just doenst have that growl that i had with just the x pipe to straight pipes. I think i am going to pull the magnaflow and add the stock resonators back in the mufflers place. 3rd times the charm?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts