Pontiac G8 Forum banner

221 - 224 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Yeah, the refit is a bit challenging. You do have to remove those grey pads. I replaced them with thinner left over melamine foam.

That said, since then I removed the headliner again due to other issues. I'm changing a few things because I did notice the plastic reinforcement compressing against the foam, and that means a less than flush fit. So, some materials are being changed for (hopefully) a better fit.

I took the headliner down because the recover was already failing in spots.

I'm going to keep some of the melamine foam in there, but mostly it is going to be replaced by another absorbing material. It'll be a while, though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just realised I'm stupid. Should have started from the outside in as far as clipping things back in.

The center piece is flimsy and does not hold the headliner up. It only keeps the sunglasses thing in place.

No problems now 👌👌

I still feel like the headliner and brake light in the back could be more flush though but idk.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good thread! I actually had my headliner reupholstered a couple of weeks ago. While the shop had the headliner out, I installed some of SDS's CLD tiles and HMF... I plan to do full car eventually. At the moment, I have doors, trunk, trunk lid, and now roof, treated with KnuKoncepts KnoKnoise Kolossus (a dynamat-style product with an uncomfortable amount of Ks, but one that was top-rated by a guy who tested 20+ products at DIYMA). I also squirted silicone into any small crevasses between stamped metal pieces that may vibrate together and rattle.

My roof treatment looked like this...

Something to keep in mind with the sound dampening (dynamat, hushmat, whatever brand) is that, if it's good-quality stuff, you really only need 25% coverage of a panel for the most noticeable difference. Anything more and you'll run into diminishing returns where the additional product is not going to add noticeable, proportionate additional performance. This is in response to a couple of posters mentioning using the dynamat-style product in their trunk to reduce noise volume... Not directed at you OP. And as OP has already stated, these products will not/are not designed to reduce road noise, despite what the manufacturer might write on their box. It's to reduce panel vibration/resonance. I know my local custom audio shops don't know what MLV treatment is, so when you go to them for "sound treatment," they charge you two grand and just add a couple hundred pounds of sound dampener. It's a joke.

Here is small sample of the difference the CLD tiles made on roof... Definitely adds to the overall tactile feel of the car. No more faint resonance/echo in the roof when closing the doors.

Any reason you left those gaps in the front?

221 - 224 of 224 Posts