Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my TPMS sensors are 9 years old and I'm getting new wheels, IMO it would be stupid to install the same old TMPS with weak batteries. From what I understand the batteries are not replaceable.

Back in the day when I bought my car and got snow tires/wheels, the TPMS sensors were insanely priced and there was a guy on here selling cheap oem TPMS sensors. Cant find that guy, and cant even find a legit source for real OEM sensors. Now that I'm searching I've seen that Dorman, ACDelco, or Shrader make the sensors, and that the new part number might or might not be 25920615.

Now when I search for that part number, I only find them on ebay where most of them seem to be chinese knockoffs, or at dealer part sites where they are $40 each.

I know someone else out there was in the same spot. How do I get real OEM parts at a good price with a recent battery date? Or are the chinese of good quality? I found tons of posts saying they got doman or sharder from amazon and at least one sensor was DOA.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
I can see that GM p/n's 13586335 has been replaced with 13598771 an it is equal to 23445327. Since those last 2 numbers are easy to find (an current), there are some available on Ebay an Amazon. Both sites sell a 4 pack for about $75 an up. Figuring out the manufacturers date could be a problem. Thinking you pretty much will have to gamble that whatever source you buy from, are sending you some fairly fresh units. Both of those numbers by the way, will get you the shorter/stubby version. That's the kind I bought an they work just fine.

I still have my originals units an they have the P//N you show above. Maybe they still make them with that P/N (if you prefer that style)

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
It took some searching, but awhile ago found a guy on eBay selling a set of tire pressure sensors for a reasonable price. They are the real deal, not one of those cheap Chinese knock-offs believe I installed them myself prior to the tires being mounted onto the rim.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It took some searching, but awhile ago found a guy on eBay selling a set of tire pressure sensors for a reasonable price. They are the real deal, not one of those cheap Chinese knock-offs believe I installed them myself prior to the tires being mounted onto the rim.
Do you have a link to his storefront?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Do you have a link to his storefront?Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Unfortunately not as the sensors were purchased a few years ago and thus far have been unable to locate any transaction information.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Avoid Dorman tires sensors. Bought 4 for a truck, 2 were doa. Went with the ones the tire shop had. When the shop was mounting the new ones, they found 1 that was corroded to the wheel. Guess what, was a Dorman that I apparently replaced a few years earlier.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Avoid Dorman tires sensors. Bought 4 for a truck, 2 were doa. Went with the ones the tire shop had. When the shop was mounting the new ones, they found 1 that was corroded to the wheel. Guess what, was a Dorman that I apparently replaced a few years earlier.
Am skeptical about the quality of Dorman electrical parts overall due to some past not so good experiences. However, replaced a blend door actuator last weekend and in a bind (no pun intended) purchased one made by Dorman. Fingers crossed on a no callback.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I just got these from Amazon. Having new tires mounted balanced as we speak and totally nail biting one or all will be DOA and I'll have to buy a new one and pay to remount and rebalance. Sigh. I'll post tomorrow if they all worked or whine about some of them not working. (fingers crossed)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MA1RJVP/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The tire shop I use checked the sensors on the counter with a device that communicates with the sensors and was able to tell me which ones were DOA.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ugh wish they offered me that. They made a point of saying if I needed to replace one I'd be paying for mount and balance all over again, and their TMPS were $70 each for me car. And I'm sure made in china ****.

Either way, its been two days and my new TMPS I got from amazon (see link above) all worked. I paid $70 shipped for all four.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
^^^^ That's the same style I got back in January. The P/N you got, shows it as the updated version of the P/N I got. So might even be a better overall product (an for about $14 less than what I had to pay).

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've bought 4 sets from eBay under part # 13581558. About $64 a set of 4. Even the cap matched the original
That number brings up the new small style too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with the above, best bet is going with the newer/replacement part numbers from GM -- and sourcing from amazon or reputable ebay shop. Did that on our Escalade recently. Tire shops & dealers charge way too much for the sensors.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah but the risk there is a lot of the ebay stuff is made in china bad copies, and you might get DOA ones or they wont last long. Even a lot of sellers on Amazon now are china copies of OEM parts. You really gotta look who the actual seller is.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yup. I looked really carefully when I got mine -- and went with Amazon because of the reviews. Found some that were confirmed to be legit and worked with my vehicle.

I'd be real mad if I got new junky ones and paid for install and had to do it again in a couple months (or even a couple years)...

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Was on the highway and the 'TPMS system fault' popped up. Went out after ~10 mins.

Guess it means it lost communication with one of the sensors and its time for new sensors. My go-to tire shop charges $50 each (includes installation). Sounds reasonable but still, that's $200!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How old are they?

$50 each installed? That including removing the tire and remounting and rebalancing? That seems very cheap. I bet they want money for the mount and rebalance. You might want to wait until its time for new tires before you swap in new TPMS.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
21 Participants
MIEngineer
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing