Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed out the spark plugs in their V6? I have the GM database manual and showed disconnecting the EVAP purge line. I'm a little hesitant disconnecting that line. Has anyone changed their plugs and have any suggestions to replacing them?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was just able to unbolt and raise my upper intake manifold to give me access to the coils and plugs, I also removed the two nuts holding down the air filter housing to give me more room.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Even if you completely remove the manifold you don't need to disconnect the EVAP line, just unbolt the EVAP solenoid bracket from the manifold and you're good to go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Even if you completely remove the manifold you don't need to disconnect the EVAP line, just unbolt the EVAP solenoid bracket from the manifold and you're good to go.
Exactly! I remember doing that, 10mm bolt. If I recall, I needed a 10mm socket for the bracket, the nuts holding the air filter box to the fenderwell, and the bolts holding the coil packs on. I used a 16mm deep well socket to loosen/tighten the spark plugs and a 13mm to loosen/tighten the upper intake manifold bolts. The rear intake manifold bolt on the passengers side it tricky to get to but a shallow socket and ratchet worked for me.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Ya I took it off completely, It wasnt difficult at all.

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. Thank you everyone for your info. It definitely will help out. Now I just need time to do it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
At what kilometers or miles did you change your plugs at.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did mine early at 70.000km while fitting the manifold spacer to save time later, but service instructions say you should do it at 90.000

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Did mine early at 70.000km while fitting the manifold spacer to save time later, but service instructions say you should do it at 90.000
I am at 94,500 km's but I figure at 120,000 km's I should get it done same as my transmission fluid.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I change mine at 75,000. Or sooner depends on m6 driving habits. I just put NGK laser iridium I'm mine and so far work well.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'm going to roll 160K next week sometime and don't know if the plugs have ever been changed. On holidays second week of July so going to get NKG Iridium's installed that week.
Unlike you braver sorts that are doing it yourselves mines going to the dealership as I would like the car to run properly after the installation......

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I'm going to roll 160K next week sometime and don't know if the plugs have ever been changed. On holidays second week of July so going to get NKG Iridium's installed that week.
Unlike you braver sorts that are doing it yourselves mines going to the dealership as I would like the car to run properly after the installation......
Too bad you dont live closer, or I would do it for you,and show you that its not too difficult. But intimidating the first time.
If its never been done I suggest you get new upper intake gaskets. But the dealership should know that.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Too bad you dont live closer, or I would do it for you,and show you that its not too difficult. But intimidating the first time.
If its never been done I suggest you get new upper intake gaskets. But the dealership should know that.
Thank you very much for the offer Les.
I have changed plugs on the older V8's but these newer electronic engines do intimidate me I am not ashamed to say. Still have a son at a local GM dealership so that helps.
I also wanted to get the suspension looked at. Swapping to the Michelin tires on the GT rims I picked up last weekend really seemed to wake up the cars ride and alleviate some of the ride issues I had. But should have it looked at regardless.
Thanx again drive safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts