Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to the forum, hello everyone. I am also not sure if this is the right thread to put this in.

First off I am not a mechanic, but I love the G8s and I currently own a 2008 Pontiac G8 3.6L with ZERO mods currently. First thing I wanted to do was change the spark plugs. So I am curious as to whether or not the 3.6L requires the Intake Manifold to be removed first. I am assuming yes but someone mentioned you didn't need to but I don't think I believe that.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Yes, you need to remove the intake to replace the plugs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been awhile since I've been back to this board. Thanks a bunch guys, I am going to be doing this here shortly. Been busy with work and such. I have some more questions but it might be better to make a new thread for those.

As a follow up question; Do I need to do anything with the manifold gasket when I do the plugs? Again, I'm not a mechanic in any way, I'm simply smart enough to follow directions properly, so if I am asking a dumb question please don't mind it.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
It's been awhile since I've been back to this board. Thanks a bunch guys, I am going to be doing this here shortly. Been busy with work and such. I have some more questions but it might be better to make a new thread for those.

As a follow up question; Do I need to do anything with the manifold gasket when I do the plugs? Again, I'm not a mechanic in any way, I'm simply smart enough to follow directions properly, so if I am asking a dumb question please don't mind it.
The gaskets,depends if you have metal ones. Meaning has the intake been off before? but always good idea to replace them .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gaskets,depends if you have metal ones. Meaning has the intake been off before? but always good idea to replace them .

I purchased it used from a dealership as a used vehicle. Not sure, but the service history doesn't say it's ever had a tune-up, but that doesn't mean the previous owner didn't do it himself. So I guess I'm not sure at this point.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I purchased it used from a dealership as a used vehicle. Not sure, but the service history doesn't say it's ever had a tune-up, but that doesn't mean the previous owner didn't do it himself. So I guess I'm not sure at this point.
Well I would get new ones to be sure.
You can look under intake in between upper and lower intake and see if their metal gaskets. But again I would just get new ones.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I would get new ones to be sure.
You can look under intake in between upper and lower intake and see if their metal gaskets. But again I would just get new ones.
Okay, now as a newbie who will be doing this for the first time, I'll be buying the gaskets and changing them out just to be safe, any special instructions I need to know about replacing them? I'm assuming some sort of lubricant. I'll likely fish for a video as well but I'll take as much info as possible.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Okay, now as a newbie who will be doing this for the first time, I'll be buying the gaskets and changing them out just to be safe, any special instructions I need to know about replacing them? I'm assuming some sort of lubricant. I'll likely fish for a video as well but I'll take as much info as possible.
You dont need to add anything to the gaskets. You could spray a bit of permatex adhesive to be sure.
If you want I can do a quick vid in the morning giving you the rundown on it. Its pretty simple once you know how to do it. And I will give you all the info.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You dont need to add anything to the gaskets. You could spray a bit of permatex adhesive to be sure.
If you want I can do a quick vid in the morning giving you the rundown on it. Its pretty simple once you know how to do it. And I will give you all the info.
If you'd like to, I would very much appreciate that a lot. I'll put it to good use. This will be my first real work I'm doing on this car so I'll take as much knowledge as possible. :)

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
If you'd like to, I would very much appreciate that a lot. I'll put it to good use. This will be my first real work I'm doing on this car so I'll take as much knowledge as possible. :)
Heres the quick vid I did for you this morning when I got home from work. I hope it helps and if you have any questions or need me to do more vids of anything just let me know. Always happy to help.

Thanx Les. My youtube channel is Lester84167

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Heres the quick vid I did for you this morning when I got home from work. I hope it helps and if you have any questions or need me to do more vids of anything just let me know. Always happy to help.

https://youtu.be/eZiwC7w7OE0
Very good video! I bookmarked it. I'll likely be doing this project next week, possibly this weekend. I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

https://youtu.be/eZiwC7w7OE0
I hope double-posting doesn't get me in trouble here.

So I found a set of spacers via ebay, including gaskets. Can you offer me any thoughts about adding spacers to the manifold?

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I hope double-posting doesn't get me in trouble here.

So I found a set of spacers via ebay, including gaskets. Can you offer me any thoughts about adding spacers to the manifold?
If you get spacers you dont need gaskets for them, just some permatex spray.
The spacers help cool the intake so the air entering the engine if slightly cooler which does help. I advise everyone to get spacers on their V6. The ones I have are 3/4" thick.

Hope this helps bro. Anything I can help you with just ask.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you get spacers you dont need gaskets for them, just some permatex spray.
The spacers help cool the intake so the air entering the engine if slightly cooler which does help. I advise everyone to get spacers on their V6. The ones I have are 3/4" thick.

Hope this helps bro. Anything I can help you with just ask.
Okay, sorry I'm asking a ton of questions, just want to make sure I get this right. So permatex? How is that applied? On the spacers themselves? Also, the video above in the forum showing the install of their gasket he places a gasket underneath the spacer and then what appears to be another one above it. But, you mentioned not needing a gasket.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
No problems, With the upper and lower intakes and the spacers being a machined surface you dont need the gaskets. Using gaskets is not recommended in my opinion and my tuners opinion. Spray the permatex on the spacers themselves.
The gaskets are way overkill plus you get a better seal with all the machined surfaces,just make sure you torque them to 17 ft lbs.
I feel my way works best as I get great performance out of my V6.

Dont worry about the questions,I dont mind at all.
I attached a pic of the permatex for you to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No problems, With the upper and lower intakes and the spacers being a machined surface you dont need the gaskets. Using gaskets is not recommended in my opinion and my tuners opinion. Spray the permatex on the spacers themselves.
The gaskets are way overkill plus you get a better seal with all the machined surfaces,just make sure you torque them to 17 ft lbs.

You're the pro, I will definitely give that a shot. No gaskets, just the spacer + the permatex. Thanks again for all of your help. I may drop another question or two between now and when I do this, but I think I've got all the info I need. I greatly appreciate the help and I'll post an update after. Maybe I'll throw some pics up for fun during (Not that it matters much since I'm sure it's nothing special to see xD).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I never did quite update you guys on this project.

A buddy and I went through the process of taking the manifold off and changing the plugs. We also added the spacer. In the other threads I complained of CEL codes but those were fixed when I replaced the Cats and the entire exhaust system with a catback from SOLO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts