Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking of changing spark plug wires.

has anybody bought the "Taylor Cable 74244 Spiro-Pro Red Spark Plug Wire Set" .... I have attached a picture.
from Amazon ..... they said they fit the G8 ....

I also checked at Amazon for AC Delco .... " ACDelco 748UU GM Original Equipment Spark Plug Wire Set"
one review said "does not fit my 2008 G8 GT"
I have a 2009 GT ..... is there a difference between the years ????

Then ...I also checked at Amazon for AC Delco ...."ACDelco 9748UU Professional Spark Plug Wire Set
did not see a review for a G8

Now .... on my G8 ..... I have AC Delco 9770 (red wire, black connecters) .... that's what I see written on the wire...

should I go with the Taylor (I like the red wires) ....?????

View attachment 134666

thanks in advance ....

UPDATE...... UPDATE....

I just took a closer look at what I have now ..... they look like these wires (with the 90 degree boot)
s-l500.jpg
ebay description ....05-08 LS2 LS2 LS3 LS4 LS7 GM Plug Wires 19351593 GTO Silverado Tahoe Escalade

even getting wires is a bit confusing ......

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
I used those AC Delco's. No problems of complaints. I usually stick with ACDelco for anything electrical since these cars are so finicky when it comes to electronics.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used those AC Delco's. No problems of complaints. I usually stick with ACDelco for anything electrical since these cars are so finicky when it comes to electronics.

Markmsf3 ...... ur right .....
I'm going to forget about the "taylor" or any other after market wires.... I'll stick with ACDelco

NOW .... my dilemma is.....

the pictures that Amazon is showing for the wires, don't look like what I have now.
the "Amazon" pictures show a straight boot. (and wires are all black)
on my car, I have a 90 degree boot. (and wires are red)
I have attached pictures....
so which one is it ...?????

What do you guys have in your cars ?????
post some pictures...

31O5r-iYAlL.jpg

s-l500.jpg

·
Registered
108 Posts
I went with Taylor wires with no problems good fit and looks great and new plugs if your at 100k it's time and used MSD iridium plugs and car likes em and runs great now have bout 30k since, ck out pics and see yourself ,if you any questions shout

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
I used the AC Delco 748RR. Amazon will say they don't fit, but they do. Crazy Paul recommended them, so that's what I went with.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very good just wanted to point out other plug and wire sets that fit our engines other than oem

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So I took a picture of what I currently have.

looks like its the ones that Markmsf3 has mentioned ..... the 748rr .... see attached pic

spark plugs wires on my G8.jpg

Tempest1 .... thanks for the pics of your set up.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I looked for new spark plug wires for awhile and finally found a set that met my expectations. I wanted to get away from the stock wires but retain the great boot construction that the stock wires are really good at..

I was pleasantly surprised to find the Kingsborne shop that builds this wire is semi-local to me here in San Diego and drove up yesterday to pick up my set and speak to the nice ladies in the office.

The wire is manufactured with a stainless nickel alloy wire, wound 32 times per inch around a conductive latex coated, heavy fiberglass core with silicone insulation.

Their catalog is a little outdated with none of our current crop of vehicles represented, but they have been in business for 30 years and these wires look stock.. Great fit and finish, the stock metal heat shields from the stock wires will fit on these plug boots without issue. And available in black in both 7mm and 8mm sizes with the 8mm having a few additional colors choices (red, blue and yellow).

The part number to fit our motors is 01-205 and can be found on their site at kingsbornewires.com for less then $65 for the set.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I used the AC Delco 748RR. Amazon will say they don't fit, but they do. Crazy Paul recommended them, so that's what I went with.
I went with this also. But bought from Rock Auto. $34.xx. OEM recommendation is like $61.xx.

I also bought the oem plugs from Rock Auto and they had a really nice rebate on AC Delco plugs going on right now.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I went with this also. But bought from Rock Auto. $34.xx. OEM recommendation is like $61.xx.

I also bought the oem plugs from Rock Auto and they had a really nice rebate on AC Delco plugs going on right now.
https://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/promo.html

$3 back per plug in Iridium.

Less on Plats and copper.
Just a note. The plug wires fit perfect. I almost forgot to use the OEM metal insulators. Plus installed too.

I used to ping pretty bad under load/hot weather on my Superchips tune. Now the engine doesn't ping at all. Either the plugs or wires were tired at 95k

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Stock AC Delco are well made but the Kingsborne connectors are better. I am going good w the Kingsbornes still. Some shill online said that the stock wires were an old carbon core style. Turned out to be BS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used the Magnecor 8.5 from Lingenfelter with a set of their heat shields, and a set of NGK TR-5 and never looked back. $123 plus shipping is what i payed, worth every penny. Fits perfect, looks good, and works great with headers.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
The reviews on the 9748RR aren't good.

Go with 748RR ($66.79) instead. That's what I purchased. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JZZDLM
Thank you for replying.

Not sure where your seeing bad reviews. I see on Amazon where some of the 9748RR have had a few lug separation issues but overall, out of 283 reviews they have an average rating of 4.5 stars. The 748RR wires only have 84 reviews with an average of 4.1.

Besides the price difference, my concern with the 748s is that the boot orientation looks wrong from the photo. The boots on the 9748s follow the same complimentary curve. The 748 boots appear to oppose each other.

Did you have to twist either end of yours 180° to make them fit?

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Thank you for replying.

Not sure where your seeing bad reviews. I see on Amazon where some of the 9748RR have had a few lug separation issues but overall, out of 283 reviews they have an average rating of 4.5 stars. The 748RR wires only have 84 reviews with an average of 4.1.
I should have been more specific. Pay close attention to the written reviews for the 9748RR versus the written reviews for the 748RR. Unfortunately, sometimes you get what you pay for.

Besides the price difference, my concern with the 748s is that the boot orientation looks wrong from the photo. The boots on the 9748s follow the same complimentary curve. The 748 boots appear to oppose each other.

Did you have to twist either end of yours 180° to make them fit?
I see what you're saying. The main image of the wires does make it look weird. But the real-life images show that they fit just fine. No, I didn't have to make any drastic twists.

Main:

Real-life:

I could post some images I took when I did this late last year later this evening.

EDIT: Some more info. on 9748RR: https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-engine-tech-l76-ls3/280613-fooled-me-9748-rr-ac-delco-plug-wires.html

The "9" in front allegedly refers to inferior materials. This makes sense due to all of the issues based upon the Amazon reviews for 9748RR and 9748UU versus 748RR and 748UU, respectively.

Attachments

·
There was one?
2,308 Posts
I replaced my OEM with the MSD wires. No fitment issues at all. Work wonderfully. Just another option to consider.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts