Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered new speakers and a new amp to push them.

Polk Audio dxi650 6.5 coaxials (rear)
Polk audio dxi6500 6.5 components (front)
Kenwood XR-5S 5 channel amp

Now, I'm not looking to win contests or let everyone know what I have but would like to "feel" my music and enjoy it.

Mostly listen to Hard/alt rock, dubstep, and some hip hop.

What kind of sub and type of enclosure would fit me best?

It's been years since I've messed with systems. When MTX Blue Thunders and the 6-8000s were just coming out is when I "left the audio" world if that gives you an idea. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm leaning towards a single 10" or maybe a 12".
Might keep the 8"s for mid range or just take them out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I've always been dedicated to rockford for subs. I think they're great for any type of music,nice and tight bass ,especially 12's or smaller.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't even mess around with the 8" subs. Rip them out and get a single 12" sub...you will not regret it. I got a JL Audio Powerwedge subbox and sub....and Holy crap...it digs!

I messed around for weeks trying different kinds of 8" subs in the stock location that sounded even remotely good....I got so pissed off I was seeing red. Then stopped by our local car audio shop, plugged in the JL Powerwedge...and was sold in 5 seconds!

http://www.jlaudio.com/cs112rg-w3v3-car-audio-powerwedge-subwoofer-systems-93196

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't even mess around with the 8" subs. Rip them out and get a single 12" sub...you will not regret it. I got a JL Audio Powerwedge subbox and sub....and Holy crap...it digs!

I messed around for weeks trying different kinds of 8" subs in the stock location that sounded even remotely good....I got so pissed off I was seeing red. Then stopped by our local car audio shop, plugged in the JL Powerwedge...and was sold in 5 seconds!

http://www.jlaudio.com/cs112rg-w3v3-car-audio-powerwedge-subwoofer-systems-93196
Pictures of it in your trunk? It looks like the perfect box and the power level is perfect for my amp.

Will it hit throughout all bass ranges (high to low), what type of music do you listen to?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another member turned me on to ddaudio .com and pwkdesigns.c o m

Has anybody had any experience with these? Their subs seem to REALLY handle any power you can throw at them and the enclousures are specifically designed for "you".

·
Registered
41 Posts
When we install, I will let you listen to my sons. He's got 2 12 in rockford fosgate p2d4s in a sealed enclosure and two cheap pioneer 760 watt amps in his stealth. The rear deck moves about 1/2 in and the rear wiper dances on the window. Too loud for me, but would give you a good idea of the power those things will take.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
The other thing you need to look at besides the sub itself is the enclosure. That's what will make or break even a great sub.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine came with an enclosed JL Audio. It sounds nice! I am used to JBL and Pioneer subs and boy is there a difference.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When we install, I will let you listen to my sons. He's got 2 12 in rockford fosgate p2d4s in a sealed enclosure and two cheap pioneer 760 watt amps in his stealth. The rear deck moves about 1/2 in and the rear wiper dances on the window. Too loud for me, but would give you a good idea of the power those things will take.

Yeah, can't wait. Everything should be in this week. :driving:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The other thing you need to look at besides the sub itself is the enclosure. That's what will make or break even a great sub.
Yeah, thats why I was considering the PWK enclousures. So much has changed since ive been into audio.

·
Registered
346 Posts
its hard to subjest if you want good sound quality stayed sealed and lean more toward jl, focal, image dynamics hell list could go on.....if you want pure spl port that beast and go rockford, alpine, sundown again many more to list....i had a system in my grand prix before i ripped it out to trade it in for the g8 but i ran two alpine type rs 12s in a ported box with one alpine mrp-m1000 down to one ohm clamped at 1425 rms hit 143db all day long

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its hard to subjest if you want good sound quality stayed sealed and lean more toward jl, focal, image dynamics hell list could go on.....if you want pure spl port that beast and go rockford, alpine, sundown again many more to list....i had a system in my grand prix before i ripped it out to trade it in for the g8 but i ran two alpine type rs 12s in a ported box with one alpine mrp-m1000 down to one ohm clamped at 1425 rms hit 143db all day long
Thanks for the advice. Im going with sealed.

Not going anywhere near 1400 watts rms! lol

The Kenwood amp will push 350 rms (2 ohm) to my sub. Im guessing one strong 10" or 12" will do, or possibly a dual 10" box?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Although you'll have an amp already, I've been considering the Rockford Fosgate R300-10. I just want something with a small footprint that bumps better when I need it to. Nothing to win SPL contests or blow the window seals out. Besides, that all starts getting heaving.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Although you'll have an amp already, I've been considering the Rockford Fosgate R300-10. I just want something with a small footprint that bumps better when I need it to. Nothing to win SPL contests or blow the window seals out. Besides, that all starts getting heaving.

Yeah, exactly what Im looking for.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts