Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Speaker Choices

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  GT-610 
#1 ·
Should I grab a good pair of 6.5 inches two way, three way, or 4 way ?

I am looking for sound quality over power ...
Any suggestion ?

#2 ·
If you are just swapping out speakers, you don't have as many choices since the stock system runs 2ohm speakers.

mac

#4 ·
Just check with some of the electronics retailers to see what they have. Just tell them you need 2ohm speakers and see what they can recommend. I know others on this board have made just speaker swaps.
I think Boston Acoustics and JBL have a 2ohm line (but don't quote me on that!) :wink2:

mac

#5 ·
There is no answer to your question except which speaker sounds best to you. If you are near a major city spend an afternoon at the sound shops listening to various speakers. Take in your own CD and make them use it.

You won't be changing the head unit - the climate controls are integrated with the head unit.

What I did was Infinity Kappa 63.9s in the door running of the stock amp. These are 2-ways obviouly these are the midrange speakers - the tweeters (high range) are stock in the dash and I just left them alone.

The 2 ohm versus 4 ohm is not that important - the 4 ohms will need to be turned up a little bit to reach the same loudness versus a 2 ohm. With the aftermarket speakers the sound quality is much better which is what you are after.

For the 8" subs in the rear I used Kickers. I first tried with the stock amp - even with the stock amp (it is in the trunk to power the subs) turned up all the way there was not enough bass.

I bought a $100 2 channel amp for the woofers and it drives them quite nicely.

#6 ·
There is no technical advantage to anything more than a 2-way coaxial speaker. Three-way, 4-way, 12-way, whatever its all the same. Having a 3/4", 1/2" AND an 1 1/4 "tweeter" makes no difference at all. They are made for nuckleheads who blare everything to oblivion and makes them think they are getting more for their money. Pure marketing BS all the way.

Stick with a solid 2-way coaxial. And it is not an absolute necessity to have a 2-ohm speaker. You may lose a little overall volume with a 4-ohm, but if you like a different model better, just go with that. It's a quality vs quantity thing.

#8 · (Edited)
So what exactly happens when I put a 4 ohms instead of the 2ohms ?

I was thinking about http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/se...&productId=1002344&navigationPath=32150n32158

A pair of that in the front doors, and a pair in the back doors ? Will that work ? Will this be louder then the stocks one ? Do I need an Amplifier ?

If you had to get a pair from that site, I would go with these:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/se...&productId=1003627&navigationPath=32150n32158

But for the price, you can get way, way, WAY better.

examples:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19661

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15357

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19143

Just a few real quick examples. But personally, I would never, NEVER buy any speaker without listening first. Specs alone just don't give the info you need to make a proper decision on a speaker purchase.

The difference between 4 and 2 ohm means basically, you get less available power to the 4-ohm. But you can use this to your advantage by helping to balance out the overall system. If you are replacing all 4 door speakers, using 4-ohm can help to attenuate the "highs" of the overall system, which will bias everything for what you would perceive as more bass in the system.

Try it with the factory amplification first, then see if you have enough volume. If not, then an amp is in order. For most average listeners, I think the stock deck will offer enough loudness. Even on 4-ohm speakers.

#13 ·
I've used all memphis in my truck, thats what I would recommend and I'll use those in my car when I change them out.

#14 ·
4 ohms work fine.good advice above from tommy g

#18 ·
What do you mean by its not centered ?

And well, sure I would like to get something that looks good, but if you say it will be under the door cover then no point ...

So I want something that will play a little bit louder (use all the power that the deck provide, Which is what by the way ? ) but I want something that will give me an awesome sound quality.

Now I want to know why not go with a 4 way or 3 way speaker, they, seems to good, I mean, make sense on paper that a speaker for mid range, one for high, ect, will cover much more of a sound spectrum, more accurately, then juste one or two speaker in one. Am I wrong so far ?

So with that in mind, how much RMS does the speaker in the front and back door are (each one of them not in pairs) with 2ohm rating. And how much does the deck provide to each speaker so that I know a bit more what kind of power I need to put in to those doors, without the need of buying amp, since it will be more then enough I think.

#19 ·
their is no need to have a 3 or 4 way speaker.look at the highest end of audio,i'm talking 25k for a set of two speakers,still only 2 way.if you are going to go up to a 3 or 4 way,it would be a 6x9 and that is useless in the g8 anyway.the crossover frequencies for a 6.5" speaker are well within the range of highs to SOME bass.I say that because you really need atleast an 8"woofer to get some sub frequencies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.