Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you put on new rotors and pads in the rear, I need your help.

I just replaced my front rotors and judging by the noise and amount of brake dust coming from the rear those need to be replaced too.

Well I have a little issue, my mechanic guy I always go to for this type of thing says his brake caliper spreading kit doesn't have the right attachment, and I need to buy a new kit for $80 bucks. I don't know if I buy it.

I am not sure on this, but does the rear piston caliper require a special attachment in order to twist the piston back in or is the caliper piston generic? Or would a normal kit work for me thats not $80? (At autozone they are $50)

Yes I searched on here and Youtube but nothing this specific.

Your help is appreciated!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are the man! Thank you.

I did the fronts myself and want to do the rears too. Any advice or things to look out for for the rear?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Moddin' and Roddin'
793 Posts
When I swapped out the pads on the rear of my GXP back when it had floating calipers in the back, there was nothing special that needed to be done. It's like any other floating caliper. Just grease the pin slides when you put it back together, make sure the springs (if any, since I don't remember if it had them) are seated, etc.

I believe it's usually calipers with the parking brake mechanism built in that screw back in. Since the parking brake on our cars is integrated into the hub of the rear rotor, the calipers are simple fluid-only units and, hence, don't have to be screwed back in.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Not much different from the front. Once the rotor is off spray some brake cleaner on the parking brake shoes and wheel cylinder. As I'm sure you did on the front, clean or replace the pad clips and also clean the guide pins. Put some fresh brake lube on both guide pins and pad clips. Make sure the rubber components are not torn.

·
IdontRe Member
631 Posts
Get a new brake guy as he's just trying to get parts out of you.

The G8 brakes are just as all above have said.

Good luck w/the brake job.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
And if the rubber boots ARE torn .......... ?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you guys are awesome! Thank you very much for the help!

I will do pretty much exactly what I did for the fronts, make sure guide pins are clean and lubed, spray brake cleaner on parking wheel shoes, etc...

Will order the new rotors and pads tonight!

·
Registered
526 Posts
And if the rubber boots ARE torn .......... ?
Replace them. You will allow contaminants in which can affect braking. Piston dust boots should be replaced with OEM. I bought some Centric boots and seals and they did not fit right.

The guide pin boots can be bought at your local auto parts store and will come with the pad clips.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just took apart an entire set of calipers for powder coating. The rubber seals are easily removed from the caliper... U can use a screw driver or sharp pick, just be easy with it... New OEM dust boots and seals are cheap!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts