Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absentmindedly tried to pull the trunk open by pulling on the spoiler yesterday. One end popped loose. It snapped back down after a quick "Son of a... gun!!" I had to remind myself that my two little girls were getting in the back seat at the time. Am I on borrowed time before it flies off on the highway? Is there a fix I should look into?

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I absentmindedly tried to pull the trunk open by pulling on the spoiler yesterday. One end popped loose. It snapped back down after a quick "Son of a... gun!!" I had to remind myself that my two little girls were getting in the back seat at the time. Am I on borrowed time before it flies off on the highway? Is there a fix I should look into?
You're on borrowed time.

The spoiler is fine. The plastic base that mounts to the trunk is fine and secure.

The problem is the thin plastic fins that are plastic welded to the plastic base that mounts to the trunk. Their weld is still intact. It's just that they're thin enough to break, thus separating the spoiler from the plastic base.

Images from here: https://www.g8board.com/forums/4-tech-lounge/272009-spoiler-fell-off-2.html#post3593410

Attachments

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well poo. JB Weld to the rescue I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Been meaning to run a bead of silicone caulk around the outer edge of the spoiler for "waterproofing" and "reinforcement". Of course, both may be a futile attempt only prolonging the inevitable of the spoiler separating from the trunk lid. Be that as it may, an ounce of prevention is [still] worth a pound of care.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might keep some water out, but I don't think it's all that detrimental. Excluding the last several months, mine has been parked outdoors since new and I just now had the spoiler problem by doing something I usually avoided doing. Will it reinforce? Maybe a little.

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Absolutely. Always intentionally avoid using the spoiler to open and close the trunk lid. However, it's almost certain to happen considering other people use the vehicle. A little is slightly better than not at all so it's appears to be a win-win situation.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well poo. JB Weld to the rescue I guess.
That is not very good on plastics which have oils to prevent them from becoming brittle but that resist bonding. Use something specifically made for plastics. Or use windshield urethane adhesive, but then you'll NEVER be able to get that thing off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts