Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve had my G8 for a few weeks now, and maybe after the first week or so my spoiler decided to come off the car. The bracket is in tact on the deck lid still, but the actually spoiler is off, all of the plastic fins/ clips broke off.

Anyways I’m having the spoiler painted now, as I️ intended too originally, but now I’m concerned with how to reattach it. I️ was thinking maybe some good old JB Weld?

Any tips out there for a good adhesive or a way to reattach it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Had this happen too me a couple months ago. I lucked out cuz it happened when I was washing it. Anyway. I took mine to a body shop. Paid 50 bucks to have them use what they had. It's gotta be able to withstand high velocities as your driving. Especially if you're doing a 100 plus : )

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Indeed. You were very fortunate. So does the spoiler have a tendency to come unglued or does something else cause it to "let loose"?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed. You were very fortunate. So does the spoiler have a tendency to come unglued or does something else cause it to "let loose"?

All of the plastic clips broke on mine, the adhesive attaching the bracket to the car is still good

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hmm, got me thinking about half mile speed runs now. lol! I better duct tape mine at the next event, just in case. ;)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I carefully removed the grey half when mine popped off. I glued it back together with 3M structural adhesive, some clamps to hold it together and reapplied thin double sided tape. Its not coming off ever again lol

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
It's the cheap clips. They all break.

For those of you who are fortunate enough to not have this happen too you yet. You may wanna have your spoiler adhered or something. Another spoiler isn't cheap. I wish I hand done mine prior.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's NOT the clips that break. The actual plastic clips are under the grey plastic base you see in the picture. Which is also attached by double sided tape and two 10mm nuts on either end. That plastic base is friction welded to the top half. It's the friction welds that fail, especially when you push or pull on the trunk by the spoiler. The clips you speak of are still attached to the car in the OP photos.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I saw on mine that at at each high point (the grey plastic ) was flat. That the plastic had snapped at each point. If that is the" friction weld " you speak of , then yea. But I am not familiar with the exact name of parts and doesn't sound right.

The other pieces of grey plastic where still attached to the underneath of the spoiler, would have been attached to each high spot along the back. So it's the cheap grey plastic (I called clips ) pardon for not naming it right ,snapped.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's NOT the clips that break. The actual plastic clips are under the grey plastic base you see in the picture. Which is also attached by double sided tape and two 10mm nuts on either end. That plastic base is friction welded to the top half. It's the friction welds that fail, especially when you push or pull on the trunk by the spoiler. The clips you speak of are still attached to the car in the OP photos.

So is the spoiler able to be adhered to the bracket using the original friction weld locations?

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
So is the spoiler able to be adhered to the bracket using the original friction weld locations?*
They did with mine. Body shop I went to used thier apoxy or something and just set it back over the grey plastic on the deck lid.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I am afraid to say some and jinxed mine...
lol. Get it done before it happens and you gotta pay to paint the spoiler or worse.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I guess I should do something about the fact that the ends of my spoiler are loose. :/

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
18 Participants
JAM
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing