Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I guess I should do something about the fact that the ends of my spoiler are loose. :/

Keep an eye on it, mine seemed fine until I️ must’ve made a sharp turn or something. Got out of the car to see the spoiler had shifted off the bracket and was completely detached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Checked last night and the spoiler "looks" and "seems" secure, but will definitely keep an eye on it. Don't know if the design is further compromised when the spoiler is used to open and close the trunk lid. Try to make a habit of using the top and bottom recessed area where the license plate is situated to pull up and push down the trunk lid. Speaking of spoilers, have seen people use them to push a broken down vehicle which is a big :nono:.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
It's NOT the clips that break. The actual plastic clips are under the grey plastic base you see in the picture. Which is also attached by double sided tape and two 10mm nuts on either end. That plastic base is friction welded to the top half. It's the friction welds that fail, especially when you push or pull on the trunk by the spoiler. The clips you speak of are still attached to the car in the OP photos.
This is 100% true. Those plastic welds are the weak point.

Funny enough, it's cheaper to buy the spoiler on eBay from Australia, shipped, than it is locally.

Anyone want to try a group buy? I too attempted to epoxy mine but had little success in the long run.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I️ checked out some after market spoilers from body kit kingdom in Aus. Not bad prices at all. I️ got mine painted for $75 and I’ll attach it myself. We’ll see how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Not sure if this has some to do but, after 122K miles, mine seems to be holding pretty darn good. I wonder, if the adhesive is getting weaker with the de-icing compounds from the roads. I drive the G8 all year, only parked when the snow hit the ground. As long the roads are clear, I drive it.

How many of you with that issue drive the G8s on the snow and/or know if the cars were exposed to those conditions? What about cold? This cars were build and designed in Oz, perhaps never crossed their minds to be exposed for long periods of time at sub zero temps.

How the mating surface looks like, brittle, sticky...?

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Not sure if this has some to do but, after 122K miles, mine seems to be holding pretty darn good. I wonder, if the adhesive is getting weaker with the de-icing compounds from the roads. I drive the G8 all year, only parked when the snow hit the ground. As long the roads are clear, I drive it.

How many of you with that issue drive the G8s on the snow and/or know if the cars were exposed to those conditions? What about cold? This cars were build and designed in Oz, perhaps never crossed their minds to be exposed for long periods of time at sub zero temps.

How the mating surface looks like, brittle, sticky...?
It has to do with people using the spoiler to lift the trunk along with using it as a pressure point when pushing the car in the event that it, the car, has been stuck.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Mine didn't show signs of falling off. Wasn't loose or anything.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yeah, mine wasn't loose at all either. It popped off one cold day when I went to close the trunk. Came right off like I barely even touched it....

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Now, I am really thinking about this conundrum...ugh. Might run a vacuum hose followed by a thin bead of caulk around the outer edges to keep water and dirt from accumulating underneath the spoiler. Just a thought, perhaps the "tack welds" are being compromised by moisture, water, or dirt accumulation i.e. they rust or weaken whatever holds them to the spoiler and break apart.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Replacement Spoiler

For those of you with this problem, here's a solution "Maverick Man" (do a Google). Way better, if you must replace yours then a stock unit. Cost around $325 I'm guessing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Maverick Man’s is nice looking, but for $440 plus the $30 non refundable deposit, and no hardware included, and the cost of shipping it’s pretty pricey.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Body Kits Kingdom has carbon fiber spoilers from around $189 (roughly after AUD conversion) that come in different sizes and styles than the OEM trunk spoiler. Shipping is a tad more obviously, but I got a quote to ship to NC that kept the total well under $400.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Check out Body Kits Kingdom in Australia. Note prices are AUD. To convert to approx USD multiply by .72 and it will be close. They sell all styles in both fiberglass and CF. They make styles A, B and D. A is about same as G8. B is like A but more overlap on top of trunk lid to cover Aussie trunk with the holes G8 does not have for SSV-style wing spoiler. C is Senator style. I know nothing about quality. I just found them on the net. I do not know if they will ship to USA. I also see them in UK. If available in the UK, it might be cheaper to ship from there.

Style B

Style D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just to confirm, if the top half of the spoiler (the painted part) is lifting off of the spoiler frame, there is no way to fix this unless you get a brand new one or break it all the way off and try to re-glue it? does anyone have any pictures of where they actually break? Mine is starting to lift off on the left side a bit and I'm wondering if there's something I can do to fix it or if I need a new spoiler.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Yea. Have it taken off and glued down. Do it before it flies off and you gotta pay to paint the spoiler too.

For me it was the grey clips that snapped.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just to confirm, if the top half of the spoiler (the painted part) is lifting off of the spoiler frame, there is no way to fix this unless you get a brand new one or break it all the way off and try to re-glue it? does anyone have any pictures of where they actually break? Mine is starting to lift off on the left side a bit and I'm wondering if there's something I can do to fix it or if I need a new spoiler.

I can post some pics tonight if the points on the spoiler where they broke off. (The painted portion that is)

·
Registered
142 Posts
That would be great. Thanks for the info guys. I wonder if I can pull off the entire spoiler with the frame and try to glue just that corner down. But at that point I might as well upgrade to a MM or SLP spoiler.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

As you can see here, these are the spots where my spoiler actually broke off. I didn’t find much else leftover on the bracket after I took this off. I’m assuming either there wasn’t much material attached to begin with, or else the remaining parts fell off onto the road over time since the spoiler had to have been loose.

As someone mentioned before, it was said this piece is friction welded on the bracket, so If that’s true I’d assume it won’t be easy to pry off a loose spoiler without it sounding like it’s breaking.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No wonder they break so easy. I was using a car duster and a few strands of the duster got caught underneath the corner of the spoiler. That's the first time I noticed, if that was when it broke or not. Thanks for the pictures!

MM spoiler pre-ordered...lol

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
18 Participants
JAM
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing