Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just bought an 09 GT and absolutely loving the car. Only has 47k on her.

But! I've just realised that sport shift doesn't seem to be working at all. I will slide it over and it tells me I have active shift going. But if I slide it forward or back to shift I get nothing. It just sits in gear. I've tried it at different speeds. And I've tried it on different days. It just doesn't seem to work period.

Just to clarify, drive works perfectly fine and the transmission does a great job of being where I want it.

So does anyone know if my poor girl has a big problem here or is there some simple fix I'm missing here?

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
When you smack that lever to the right, it is now in the sport mode. Shifting takes place automatically (all be under varying acceleration an deceleration conditions). Once you bump that shiftier either forward or aft, your asking the trans to shift in the manual mode (like having shift paddles on the steering wheel). Or are you saying something else ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm saying it won't shift period. I can move it forward or backward and it doesn't shift. If I just leave it alone while to the right of D it still won't shift. It will hit off the rev limiter and sit there. So I think something's up.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Ill do some reading to see if the manual says what might be causing this condition. But your probably going to have to get the solution for this, from those members that are really good with these gearboxes.

Added thought >>>>> When the lever is in the sport mode position an you bump that lever either fore or aft, does the DIC switch over to show that you are now in the manual mode (as it should) ? If not then you have 2 problems going on here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it does tell me I am in manual mode. So I think that's a good thing. It shows me my current gear that I'm in once switched in it. But I can't change it. And it doesn't change if I leave it alone either. I do appreciate the help here! Thank you!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Does your car have a tune on it, or is it stock?

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
There's a shift table for normal, sport and manual. I'd agree on getting the tune checked to make sure something isn't screwed up.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
What part of "manual mode" is there to explain. Their is no automatic shifting when you push or pull the lever and get in Manual Mode. In sport mode, don't touch the lever and it will shift by itself. Sport mode is a self learning mode too. If you ever get the chance to drive on a real track. You will be impressed with how it will respond when driven aggressively.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the car from the original owner and she told me the vehicle is stock. And there doesn't seem to be any evidence that it has been tuned. Still runs on regular and still has DoD.

Now I read the manual and know the difference between sport mode, and manual mode. And I'm saying it doesn't matter which one I am in. The car will not shift from it's current gear. Now the car never tells me I am in sport mode though if I move the lever over from drive. Would this be an indication that it has been tuned?

I'm going to get a picture of exactly what the car shows when I move the lever over to the right tonight.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
When you move to sport mode. it shows up on the display between the speedo and tach. It will also show the gear, S1, S2 . Manual Mode it will be gears M1 M2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright I just drove it and there is no sport mode at all. I move the lever over and it goes straight to M1. Except I can't change the gear at all. So.... Has the car been tuned?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
If you slide it to sport and don't touch it at all, does it still shift automatically? (it should shift faster and firmer)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I slide it over to sport mode it goes straight to manual mode. There is no sport mode at all. And it doesn't shift on it's own. Really don't know how to go about fixing it even.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It almost sounds like when you're sliding it over, that downshift is being triggered and 'held'. That would cause it to go into manual mode right away and prevent you from shifting. From looking around at other posts on this forum, it looks like the shifter triggers a magnetic switch. I'd be curious if there is something causing the magnetic switch's downshift to be constantly engaged. Might be worth taking a look under the shifter to just check if anything looks off. You can see pictures of the circuit board in THIS thread.

It would also be interesting to see what happens if you took a powerful magnet to the switch on the circuit board while you have everything off and the car in manual mode. Mimic what the shifter would do when shifting up and shifting down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay I got a video of it. It actually shifted up to second but almost immediately dropped back to 1st one it's own and then wouldn't shift up again.

How do I upload videos the site doesn't seem to be letting me.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You'll have to embed it from youtube.

I'm going to follow along because I'm sort've curious as to what would cause your problem. The shifter could be the problem as suggested.

Normally, when a transmission fails to shift I'd suspect the valve body or the TCM. In your case, you shift over and it doesn't seem to recognize the changes. It goes to manual and then won't even shift. In Drive, however, it's listening and working. So that sort've does point to a shifter problem.

On the other hand, the computer could have been overheated at some point and the data partially corrupted. You'd have to cut power and allow the capacitors to drain to perform a memory dump. Usually, 10 minutes is enough to be sure. That will force a reload (relearn as they say) and software issues are resolved with that.

It's old school, but a computer is a computer. It'll at least negate "software" as the problem allowing you to narrow it down some. In your case, I suspect it isn't software related, but it is always worth a shot in the diagnostics process. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts