Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NC
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009.5 G8 GT 6 Speed Auto.

So I bumped the shifter over to Sport Shift mode and was accelerating to get on the interstate and it shifted from 2nd to 3rd... then stayed stuck in 3rd... at 70. I was able to use the stick to manually move it to 3rd. but it was in Sport shift and not manual mode.

Sign of a problem or just a quirk of the Sport Shifter function?

·
That's ME!
4,022 Posts
Nope, it stays in gear a LOOOOONG time when in sport mode (when getting on it). Sounds like normal operating procedure to me.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I'm not sharp in the transmission stuff, but you've lost me with the wording in your thread. Does this mean that using a *general public type* of acceleration rate up to the posted speed , it shifts properly in the *drive mode*? That it might also work correctly in the *sport mode* doing the same thing? An that manual mode changes gears as commanded, when accelerating as above? Meaning, that using WOT *only* causes the 3rd gear lockup condition.

·
Registered
123 Posts
no trust me that's normal! It's anticipating another WOT launch! You were stuck in 2nd and then it went boom 3rd boom 4th boom 5th nicely into 6th right? It's totally normal.

·
NC
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I didn't explain that well enough...

I had lifted my foot off of it... G8 stayed in S3... so I was holding constant speed 70 MPH and it wouldn't upshift. Let it try to sort itself out for over 1/2 mile.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Research PALF!

The Tony Show said:
PAS collects data from the acclerator, brake and yaw sensors to anticipate when the driver desires a "performance" shifting style, such as holding lower gears until redline when floored or performing a downshift from 3rd to 2nd while braking.

This works in conjunction with the Performance Algorithm Liftfoot, which determines how the transmission will behave when you lift the throttle. Normally, the car will shift to overdrive upon throttle lift in an effort to improve fuel economy. If the sensors detect "spirited" driving, it will instead hold the gear you're already in, in an effort to prepare you for the corner exit.

Yes, you do need to be in sport mode for these to work. It is not necessary to engage the manual shift, just bump the lever to the right. The easiest way to trigger the PAL is to maintain .5 G's for 1.5 seconds or more. Next time you come up on a sharp or sweeping corner, flip it into sport mode and take the corner. The car will go into overdrive when you lift, but if you floor it upon exit it will redline second befpre shifting into third. Then when you release the throttle in third, you'll notice that it stays there and engine brakes. This is the car preparing you for the next corner. If there were another corner, you could now enter in third (instead of Overdrive like the first) and when the car detects the hard braking and lateral G's of the second turn, the PAS will shift you from 3rd to 2nd in mid corner. This way you can blast out of the corner in second, no waiting for the shift like the first corner.

Once engaged, the car is an entirely different animal.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
No problem. Most don't expect it, and think there's something amiss.

And sometimes it will also engage in normal drive mode with spirited driving, don't be alarmed.

To easily dis-engage, change the drive mode (S>D).

·
Registered
127 Posts
I noticed this sort of behavior before and thought to myself, hmm the car seems to know what I want. I never knew the nitty gritty details until now...seems like I'm constantly finding new things to love about the G8. I LOVE THIS CAR! Thanks for the info. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.