Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Im new to the automatic transmission in a sports car.

My question is very simply, does using the sport shift (slap shift) mode compromise the longevity of the transmission? Generally speaking, it was thought that shifting an automatic transmission would degrade the transmission until eventually it went. I made this assumption coming from the world of the Fbody with the weak 4L60E.

I understand this car was built with this feature, but it wouldnt be the first time a "Gee Wiz" idea was implemented into a car that was overtly bad for it.

Thoughts? I dont have an opinion either way at this point.

·
2008 G8 GT
1,430 Posts
No, it will do no damage. Using Active Shift is no different from the car shifting the gears on its own.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
sport shift is defined (According to the manual and most posts on this forum) as just sliding the shifter rightwards but not bumping it forwards or back. That enables performance-lift-foot-mode and a few tighter shiftpoint changes. Also tighter yet if you have a custom tcm tune. The center DIC in the bottom center will say "S#" where # is the current gear you're in, you don't have to shift on your own, this is Sport mode.

When you bump forward or back, you go from Sport mode to Manual mode, this is how I find myself driving all the time. No, not as fun as a full clutch style manual car (I've owned several including an M6 f-body) but for most, serves the purpose. The rev limiters and "as to not stall the engine" mods (If you're cruising in M5 and then you come to a stop, it will automatically downshift to M2 even though you didn't engine-brake as you were slowing down and rowing towards m1 as if you were "bump shifting" it like the truckers do. As to not stall it out if you forget you're in manual mode. I do engine braking all the time for fun, the burbles are awesome and it saves somewhat on the brakes... I find this pleasing with my SOLO exhaust system, btw. :D

If you are tuned and all the torque management is removed in the tune (chirping the tires like the oldskool "shift kit" is installed) then yes, manual will also cause driveline shock like the other gears, and that's not exactly healthy for the powertrain of your car. If it barks them at WOT, weather you're in SPORT mode or weather you're manually commanding the sequential gears and it chirps, can't really hurt the cars, again, unless you've played with the torque management settings or you've got heavy mods (cam, heads, FI like maggie or turbos or whatnot) ... then the tranny should be fortified with stronger parts.

Have at it! I know I do, and it's super fun!!!!

I remember doing it in an old 1980's car that had a column shifter in the 4 speed! ahhaha. That couldn't be made for it, but I did it back then. This enthusiast car is built well and meant to be driven hard.... enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Thats how I drove my Base all the time. Got so used to doing it with the LY7 that its hard to do in my GT, the shift point in the LY7is 6500 and the GT is about 5800. I keep banging the limiter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. So if I am bumping the shifter (upshifting) taking off from a stop sign at WOT, should i lift from the gas for the shifts or just keep it to the floor and watch the RPMs?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Keep your foot applied while shifting. I just kinda listen for when to shift. Not as easily done without a louder exhaust though.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Good info

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Thanks for the replies. So if I am bumping the shifter (upshifting) taking off from a stop sign at WOT, should i lift from the gas for the shifts or just keep it to the floor and watch the RPMs?
No need to lift as we don't have a real manual transmission.
Now with that said, if you lift right on the moment you're initiating your manual upshift, she would mimic the sound of a real manual shift (if you time the moment right, lift, change gear, so the trans would shift, then you'll be back in the gas soon after that), is not perfect, but i bet you can fool more than out there, if you have an exhaust, it would be easier to time, and would sound way cooler :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Thats how I drove my Base all the time. Got so used to doing it with the LY7 that its hard to do in my GT, the shift point in the LY7is 6500 and the GT is about 5800. I keep banging the limiter.
You actually look at the tach? I have to work so hard to keep mine going straight, I couldn't tell you the rev limiter. Stupid rs-a's

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Yea, dump those RS-A's as soon as you can... The faster cars are the ones that hook!

I get about a season or so out of my Goodyear eagle GT's... But oh how they grip compared to the RS-A's!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yea, dump those RS-A's as soon as you can... The faster cars are the ones that hook!

I get about a season or so out of my Goodyear eagle GT's... But oh how they grip compared to the RS-A's!
I think I'm going to at least pick up something to throw on the rear even if I can't afford a full set.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts