Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i tripped across this item on E-bay and thought ohh another B.S gimmick from some Chinese junk store- but then I read the following:

Sprint Booster represents completely new technology, with no direct competitors. Enhances throttle response by increasing pedal input sensitivity, delivering more impressive off-the-line performance that drivers can genuinely feel. Installation is simple plug-n-play takes only a few minutes and rarely requires tools. Sprint Booster delivers instant response throughout the power band, making acceleration and merging with traffic a totally new and confidence inspiring experience. Shift points are redefined and maximized when paired with an automatic transmission. Standard, CVT and DSG transmission versions are also offered. Brand new for SEMA was a programmable version with Stage 1, Stage 2 and “Off” settings.

I checked the web to see if they really were the best of SEMA 2009 and It was!
So why have we never heard of it? Or, How come "I" have never heard of it.

Has anyone else? It sound's like if you added this to a car after it was tuned it would be quite the cats ass! So waht is the 411 on this has anyone had or used anything like this???

Should we try and get them let one go to us? Or am I thinking right and this is just a scam.

here is a link about the people behind the item.

http://www.modified.com/news/modp-0911-sprint-booster-wins-best-new-product-at-sema/index.html

http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/
Thanks for any feedback that anyone may have. I think this is the right forum.
:driving:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I read an article in one of the hot rod magazines where they actually tested this. It seemed to work based off the data they collected on the track......

·
Registered
647 Posts
This'll likely be a hot topic as it usually is but the nay-sayers are always the ones who've never tried it. I was the first North American user on my 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 and here's my post from the 6club forums. Others have tried it there as well and loved it.

"So I've read about this product that's been out for other vehicles that re-maps the throttle on cars with drive-by-wire applications, which is basically most cars these days. This electronic device goes between the throttle wire harness and the plug connector attached to the actual gas pedal.

So a few days back I find out that the manufacturer in Europe has just made one for the MazdaSpeed 6 and yesterday I headed to the North American distributor here in Canada to do a test fit and drive.

Well, let me tell you, the DNP manifold has now moved to #2 on my favourite mods list as this thing has taken over the #1 spot for me.

Personally, I've always put more importance on mods that improve throttle response in "day-to-day driving" over "notice-it-only-at-WOT" mods. Afterall, WOT is only 1% of my driving, if that. At first, I thought the throttle would be really touchy so as to make drive-offs more difficult, but they seem to have programmed this to not have any effect at that low of an engine speed. Once you're moving though, the throttle response is much crisper.

As I was driving the car, the word "urgency" kept coming to mind ... as in more of it. A little throttle gets the revs rising quickly and you feel the boost sooner than otherwise. At first I was a little hesitant as my understanding of this product is that it basically shows the ECU more throttle than your foot is giving, so why not just use your foot to give it more throttle, right? Well, it seems there's more to it
than that as I swear the car responds much better with this on than if I had given an equal amount of foot throttle.

For those that are aware of the Sport button on some BMW's whereby it heightens throttle response, this would be similar. It honestly feels like I've gained a ton of torque and someone's transplanted a big block or diesel under the hood ... you just touch the pedal and you're moving.

Also, there's a bit of re-learning with driving as you have to get used to the new feel - in fact, I found myself staying with traffic in front of me from a light closer than I would have otherwise and had to back off a bit.

There will be people that'll come on and say it's a useless device but I honestly think otherwise. Will it make you faster in the 1/4? Not likely. But if you're like me and enjoyed the days when your gas pedal was directly linked to the butterfly plate on your throttle-body via a cable, you'll love this.

On a "grin per $ spent" scale this is way out there in front. As an example, you can spend 3-4 times the amount this costs on a catback and not really feel any difference ... with this you WILL feel a difference and it's the best investment I've made in this car so far.

As I mentioned above, I got this directly from the North American distributor (www.jrponline.com) and dealt with Derek Trefry there. There may be other vendors (perhaps 1 of the sponsors?) that'll start to carry this but in the end they'll have to buy it from JRP, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules with this. If anything needs to be edited, mods please PM me.

http://www.sprintbooster.gr/en/
"

·
'11 STI Sedan
1,341 Posts
what happens if it breaks, 400hp G8 + toyota mod = bad news

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohh waltahason you must be a wise grass hopper and shift to neutral-

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LBV thanks for the feedback I am going down to a local guy who is listed as a dealer nearby. When I get my car back. They let you take a test drive with the unit before you buy! which is odd for an electrical item.
I am considering it.

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
LBV thanks for the feedback I am going down to a local guy who is listed as a dealer nearby. When I get my car back. They let you take a test drive with the unit before you buy! which is odd for an electrical item.
I am considering it.
I'm curious. Keep us informed!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I am considering it.
It's a bit pricey for what it is but I predict you buy it on the spot.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's a bit pricey for what it is but I predict you buy it on the spot.
I never tried it, but I don't think I remember seeing any Speed6 guys complain about it. I think a few got rid of it, saying it wasn't worth the $300 or whatever it cost... .but nobody was dissatisfied with the product which really says something about the impression you walk away with after trying it.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
It's a spoof and pure junk. It just varies the voltage from the TPS to the PCM. We saw other POS plug in devices in the 3800 V6 years ago. Add another $150 and you can buy an HP tuners and change everything.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a spoof and pure junk. It just varies the voltage from the TPS to the PCM. We saw other POS plug in devices in the 3800 V6 years ago. Add another $150 and you can buy an HP tuners and change everything.
Does the tune have an option to deal with the"delay" what if you tune the car and then add this? Will there be an even bigger difference? I wonder if they would let one go for a comparison?
Hmm we may be on to something-
:wink2:

·
Registered
221 Posts
This "mod' has been discussed before. Bottom line, it does nothing for any delay associated with the drive by wire. Save your money and just put your foot further to the floor if you want the same effect.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read all of the other threads and the person who bought one liked it. no one else bought one so the thread died. I have never seen one for sale used? I also hvae not looked for every car on the list of ones that it works with. But the guys at sema would not have voted for it if it was a hoax, right? or no ?

·
Supercharged Moderator
2,419 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I asked this in December and was told it was snake oil. lol.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27218
I'm not saying it's worth $300, but you were told by the one person that had it that it was good. Everyone that didn't buy the product said it was snake oil.

I'm not saying it's a miracle product, and I promise you it seems like a waste to me (since I have not tried it personally). But like I said before, I don't know if I've seen anyone say that they truly don't like the product.... It's really hard to argue with that evidence when everyone that actually buys it likes it.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Well my Cortex tuner has Improved the throttle response of my car too.

That item may speed the throttle opening. It does not increase HP one bit. It is $300 wasted when an extra $50 will buy you a tuner that will actually increase HP

·
Registered
173 Posts
After a quick glance at the sight this appears to only apply to newer cars, probably all are drive-by-wire. If that's the case then my guess is the unit does nothing more than mimic a heavier foot.

Take the suggestion made by Drew and purchase an HP Tuner instead. It will be money well spent if you have the urge to tamper. :)

On a side note, I'll share a little story of mine. Many years ago I experimented with a custom TB setup. The different spring on the swapped throttle body was not providing the correct tension on the cable and resulted in an effortless gas pedal. It was fun as hell to drive but a bit dangerous, so I eventually corrected the tension issue. For a time the car felt like it had double the horse power, but it was just the placebo effect. It was good times though.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am going for a tune with Ed @ Mongillo Motors when I can scrape together the dough.
I was asking about this unit just because it was an interesting item.
Update: I went to a local rice shop that deals with lots of these things and he said it does exactly what it says it does and everyone who buys it likes it "but" it was by no means anything to buy if you were looking for more hp. Also he said you need to learn how to drive your car again because the throttle is way more responsive! I will have the car tuned just curious if after it is tuned what will this thing do? I will report back when I know more.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Maybe it only works on rice burners.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts