Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newish belt, New alternator, New A/C Tensioner and belt. New main tensioner. Waxed it, not belt. Is there a common problem? Happens Cold at first start up through fully warmed. rises with more RPM. Will the water pump make a noise like this when it shows wear? 115K. Not familiar with water pump symptoms on the LS motors when they go bad. Squeaks like a mouse. High pitch. No other symptoms. Any seasoned technical expertise welcomed. I haven't pulled the belts yet or used WD40 on the bearings yet. Looking for the common problems please. thank you.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Assuming you still have DOD... could be a lifter. Search for lifter failure videos and compare the noise.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Could be numerous things including the idler pulley. Are you able to get a video clip of the sound? Did you install the revised a/c tensioner bracket? Replacement part numbers/brands (if available) might help. For starters, suggest removing the belts and spinning the pulleys to "check" the bearings although it's not an exact science.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I don't normally suspect internals when its a squeak. That would be well muted by the block. You could rule block related sounds out with a mechanics stethoscope.

As PONYMAN suggests, I think you need to get a good sound clip or video to share.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

You use the Goodyear gaterback belt? ie.. I guess they are now Continental brand belts. They have an unique double cross hatch design. It's what quieted my belt squeak

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Just to be able to eliminate the engine internals in my mind, would be a very satisfying step forward to solving the noise. So once you remove the 2 belts (which reads like you were planning to just that) to see/hear if that eliminates the sound with a short start/run engine cycle, it should make it a lot easier to locate the cause. Like only reinstalling the AC belt an trying again. If OK, you would just have to work with the remaining accessory items running off the main belt.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to all that responded. Great looking belt that one suggested. It sounds like everything is typically causing squeaks. My plan is to do exactly what everyone has suggested. No reply to water pump symptoms though? It is good news that the pump is bullet proof.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Didn't initially recommend replacing the water pump due to reasoning along the lines of Jova007200 and it is more difficult/expensive than a belt or pulley. Based on experience, have yet to hear a bad water pump squeak like a mouse as it tends to make more of a growling sound. Always suggest starting with the easier fixes i.e. low hanging fruit before moving onto the more complex solutions. Good luck

By the way, Goodyear was purchased in some part or whole by Continental and for the time being a Goodyear Gatorback belt is a Continental Elite. However, read somewhere they are phasing out the Elite line for a newer styled belt.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Maybe another pulley that hasnt been replaced along the belt? I have that issue at the moment. Mine is a squeal that isnt constant. Its like every 1/3 second. Only at start up in morning, then goes away once hot. I narrowed it down to a specific pulley.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Friend of mine had similar symptoms on his LS3 corvette. Turned out to be his harmonic balancer. Said it is a known issue with the vette, and after it was pointed out to him he could actually see it wobble just a bit while at idle.

·
Registered
205 Posts
In my case, I think it's coming from the tensioner. I've changed the belt, and also took apart the tensioner and lubricated it with Wurth HHS 2000. The squeak stopped but then after a couple of weeks came back, a little weaker. This makes me think that the lubrication was the reason why it stopped, and lubrication being not that great was the reason why it came back.

There is a bearing inside, and I think the sound is made by the sides of the bearing's race rubbing on the washers around it. I've previously tried to lubricate a squeaky tensioner on another car, with no success, the only thing that fixed it was a new tensioner. They're not that expensive, so I should probably just get one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
In my case, I think it's coming from the tensioner. I've changed the belt, and also took apart the tensioner and lubricated it with Wurth HHS 2000. The squeak stopped but then after a couple of weeks came back, a little weaker. This makes me think that the lubrication was the reason why it stopped, and lubrication being not that great was the reason why it came back.

There is a bearing inside, and I think the sound is made by the sides of the bearing's race rubbing on the washers around it. I've previously tried to lubricate a squeaky tensioner on another car, with no success, the only thing that fixed it was a new tensioner. They're not that expensive, so I should probably just get one.
Which tensioner is squeaking, upper or AC? If its the upper replace with a factory equivalent. If its the AC tensioner, purchase the new revised part and belt. There are a few vendors that sell it as a kit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was the main tensioner. Sprayed lubricant into the bearing and it stopped. It came back but I now know what the problem is. I wonder if the pulley is available separate from the whole tensioner assembly? This is a good diagnostic tool. Also if you think it's a belt squeak, rub the belt down with a crayon or any wax and it will quiet or stop. A little easier than taking belts off. We all know diagnostics is a process. The more tools in the box to use the better. I once again thank the G8 nation for all the great advice as usual. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Here's what I was able to find >>>>> Complete OEM tensioner from Amazon with GM P/N 12569301 about $57. Or the pulley itself from them for about $10. Both the ACDelco or Gates version (which look the same) use the same P/N. That being 38008

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man that's awesome, thank you for doing the leg work, finding the parts and there numbers. I actually took the pulley wheel and bearing apart. Removed the dust covers packed it full of grease, installed the cage dust covers reinstalled it. So far no noise. I thought it was worth a shot. I found no lubrication on the bearings?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Which tensioner is squeaking, upper or AC? If its the upper replace with a factory equivalent. If its the AC tensioner, purchase the new revised part and belt. There are a few vendors that sell it as a kit.
That was the upper tensioner. I didn't even realize there was a separate A/C belt and tensioner until I took the main one off :) And since the main belt seemed to be in a good condition, I've decided to not bother with changing the A/C belt: if it breaks, well, the worst that could happen is I'd lose the A/C until I replace the belt.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah the re greasing the bearing did not help? The squeak returned. I will replace the pulley. The Idea of not replacing the bad A/C belt not a good Idea. The Belts today made of very strong materials surrounded and molded with rubber. If the rubber dry rots and doesn't keep all the cordage together it can get costly when it comes apart. Ripping sensors. Wiring harnesses and all the plastic parts apart. You just need a 15MM wrench and a little skin and only takes about 15 min. Make sure to draw a diagram of the belt path around the pulleys first. As I have been told there is an improved A/C belt tensioner set up to stop the A/C belt from popping off. It is pricey for some. I decided to just replace the old style tensioner which is affordable. The belt has popped off twice in 115K. I am ok with that. But I do all my own work though. We all live with whatever decisions we make.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
speedracers08
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing