Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed my CAI today. Followed the instructions to a tee and everything bolted up perfectly. I also cleaned my throttle body while the stock intake was off. Some build up but nothing out of the ordinary. Took the car for a spin and noticed, somewhere between light and medium throttle input, I can hear a slight metal on metal squeak. At WOT, all seems good. It's only off the line and at VERY specific throttle position while cruising.

Am I correct in assuming the noise is coming from the butterfly valve? Is it possible I "over cleaned" it and the hinges are the cause of the squeak? If I'm light on throttle input, there is no noise, only at normal acceleration do I here anything, and it does go away as the car picks up speed.

I'm going to give it a week and see if some carbon build up clears it up. BTW, the car runs great with no lagging issues. Thoughts?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ive cleaned the crap out of my TB and no squeak. Are you sure it isnt more of a whistling noise? MY spectre has a light whistle at about 2K rpms then screams at WOT.

I dont think the butterfly would squeak...

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Was wondering how long it was going to take you to post that on here. Good seeing you again man!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was wondering how long it was going to take you to post that on here. Good seeing you again man!
You too dude. See you in a month.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive cleaned the crap out of my TB and no squeak. Are you sure it isnt more of a whistling noise? MY spectre has a light whistle at about 2K rpms then screams at WOT.

I dont think the butterfly would squeak...
I suppose it could be considered a whistle. Sort of a combo between a whistle and a squeak. I've searched a bit and some people say it's normal, others that it may be a leak.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'd check all the connections/clamps then. Could just be a simple air leak.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My Spectre whistles at light throttle...sounds almost like a turbo or a Procharger at idle...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I double checked everything and it's snug as a bug. I thinking since the resonator came off with everything else and the air flow is more direct, the whistle is normal. More air passing through at a certain throttle position. All seems normal and the car runs great, so I'm going to leave it be. I actually kind of like the sound, just wanted to make sure it was normal. Thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts