Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts

same? A little cheaper
Like 50% cheaper. And provides everything that the dealership can do using the same GM interface.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I picked up a Foxwell SRS scanner for around $100 from Ebay, and used it to diagnose a PPS failure on the G8, as well as clear a SRS code on a Hyundai Santa Fe.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Like 50% cheaper. And provides everything that the dealership can do using the same GM interface.
Did you have to buy the GM subscription to do everything you wanted? Still researching this. Also I assume this will work as a generic obd11 at least for non GM makes?

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I picked up a Foxwell SRS scanner for around $100 from Ebay, and used it to diagnose a PPS failure on the G8, as well as clear a SRS code on a Hyundai Santa Fe.
But you still can't do what a GM dealership can do with their Tech 2. You also can't program modules. For ~$20 more you can with the VXDIAG VXNANO.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Did you have to buy the GM subscription to do everything you wanted? Still researching this. Also I assume this will work as a generic obd11 at least for non GM makes?
I purchased a single VIN 24 month subscription for $40 so that I could reprogram the new BCM I purchased (old one had a short which messed with the brake lights).

Model years 2008 and beyond require online TDS programming (Vehicle Programming Software: https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions) in order to program modules. 2007 and below can be done from the Tech 2/Tech2Win.

My subscription:

tds.jpg

Clicking the VIN hyperlink takes you here:

tds2.jpg

Clicking "Service Programming System (SPS)" or the "SPS" tab up top takes you here:

tds3.jpg

Clicking "Start SPS" downloads a small java applet that you then run. This connects to your J2534 device and looks similar to this (I found this on the internet):

tds4.jpg

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Thanks for all the info in this thread. I ended up getting the OBDLink Mx+ on black friday for $60 (Amazon). Had a chance to hook it up with the standard app software. It was able to pick up the 2 SRS faults.

Of course not as capable as the above unit but for $60, I had to at least try it

21 - 27 of 27 Posts