Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Now it's a Party
2,089 Posts
The only thing I can think GM is thinking is that the "muscle car sedan" will be priced differently than this Caddy will be.

Maybe put the SS in the $39-$44K range then a Caddy with this motor between there and the CTS-V and then the V.

They'll have a $40K
a $50-55K
a $70K

Other than that :dunno: what GM is thinking. :drink:

·
Registered
427 Posts
And there is the new Buick Grand National Engine.

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
is the ls3 confirmed, or is it possible the SS will get something more powerful ?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I wouldn't trade my V8 for a more powerful V6.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Cadillac like Lincoln has been in many ways trying to push boundaries and take on the likes of Mercedes, BMW, Maserati etc... for the Sport Luxury Category. Ford showed the Ecoboost has what it takes to deliver performance against those makers, it came in second on a mountain climb. If I remember right it was either Mercedes or BMW that was winner. It's no surprise now GM is trying to push itself into that Category now for North America seeing how there is a general wanting of these cars by many. In technicality due to the fact the Commodore itself was meant to face the M5 head to head our G8's are in that Category. The SS is in that category as well also, just like the Ford Taurus can be considered as well since they took the Lincoln the Lincoln MKS against Euro Luxury Brands in the mountain climb. This market is fierce and ripe with competition.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Almost there Cadillac, put that engine in a slightly larger CTS wagon with AWD and I'm there check in hand. It does make one wonder why a buyer opts for the SS.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
is the ls3 confirmed, or is it possible the SS will get something more powerful ?
GM has officially confirmed that the LS3 with automatic will be the engine for the 2014 Chevrolet SS. Lots of rumors call for other possible options in future model years, but nothing at all official.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Not at all impressed with this engine. It's still a GM 3.6L and while making awesome power it will sound like poop doing it and have crappy throttle response.

·
IdontRe Member
631 Posts
Well, I am impressed. This engine will be much lighter than a V8 and that will enable better handling, make the brakes work better, and improve 0-60 and overall MPG.

I'm telling y'all, this is the future. Enjoy your V8s...I know I do.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Is this the same 3.6L block and heads that are out there now?

·
218 Posts
that engine in the CTS will start at over 50k.. Different consumer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I imagine the cts will get a price bump and this engine wont come cheap. I also think the V will get a large bump.

I think they will be 2 different buyers and 2 different kind of cars

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well, I am impressed. This engine will be much lighter than a V8 and that will enable better handling, make the brakes work better, and improve 0-60 and overall MPG.

I'm telling y'all, this is the future. Enjoy your V8s...I know I do.
My last car had a BMW 3.0 twin turbo (N54). 300 HP stock and with a $500 chip called JB4 it was making 400HP on just a tune. Having also previously owned a BMW with a naturally aspirated version of the BMW 3.0 a few years ago, I know how the twin turbo setup affected it very well.

I've also driven plenty of cars powered by the GM 3.6 so I know what that engine performs and sounds like and using the BMW 3.0 as a hypothesis I have a pretty good guess how the twin turbos will affect it.

With the BMW, the naturally aspirated 3.0 had a very smooth and direct throttle response and pulled very evenly all the way up to the redline. Sounded great in the process. The 300HP twin turbo version had a bit of turbo lag, not a very good throttle response and easy to bog down at launch unless you give it a high RPM launch to get the turbos to spool up. It pulled good all the way from 1500 RPM but ran out of steam at about 5500. Was also difficult to shift and keep the boost going at the same time. After I chipped it to make about 400 HP, the turbo lag became very noticeable and the throttle response was much more uneven. It pulled like a freight train all the way up to the redline building up revs progressively faster the closer you got to the redline. The rev limiter snuck up on me unexpectedly plenty of times when trying to shift from 1st to 2nd at WOT. After driving around with this setup for a couple of months I actually took the chip off and went back to stock so I felt the linearity and smoothness that makes the I6 so great has been compromised too much.

This is why I am not really looking forward to GM's venture to the twin turbo 6. The DI 3.6 is already a peaky engine that makes power at higher RPM. It's not a great sounding engine either. To that they're going to add a medium amount of boost to get it to 420HP. The automatic will help with this engine to mask some of the throttle response issues, but there will inevitably be some turbo lag and it still won't sound good.

I really don't get what all the V8 hate is all about lately. Both Ford and GM make V8s that make excellent power while having great throttle response and sound great in the process. They also both get 25 MPG on the freeway no problem in cars that weigh 3600-4000 pounds. Sounds like the turbo V6 won't be much more efficient than that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts