Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wow! A whole 50 pounds lighter than the GXP! I'm ordering one tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
with all these options that GXP did not have, the price is going to be hafty $50k Everything is standard no need to order options if you want the car just pay for stuff you dont need and its yours

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm still thinking of picking one up. My G8 has a little over 96k miles.

·
Registered
369 Posts
only 5 colors to choose from, and even fewer options than we had to pick from, everything is standard but sunroof which is nice but still its a little bit of a fail from chevy imo

edit: atleast it has 3.27 gears, weighs less than the g8's and hopefully will be around 30k :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
An interesting play is going on with gold at the moment. Rumour has it that China is selling off gold big time, crashing the price, with the express intent of lowering the aussie dollar to make their iron ore/coal cheaper. They could end up crashing the Australian stock market if all the "safe haven" dollars that have been sitting here since the financial crisis are withdrawn (a likely consequence).
The high $A is killing Holden (and the rest of Australian manufacturing) and a lower $A would be greatly welcomed, if it can be achieved without the house falling down.
Even if the $A drops to $US0.90, you will never see the Chevy SS for $30k. Maybe $40k instead of $45k, but never $30k.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
Although no official pricing has been announced yet, I think folks need to prepare themselves for a price tag of between $42K-$45K. That makes it competitive with the cars that GM feels are the most direct competition for the SS. It is also very reasonable compared to pricing of the G8 GXP from nearly 5 years ago, especially considering all of the additional technology in the SS over the G8 GXP (which I am obviously a huge fan of). I think once people can see & drive the SS, a lot of opinions will change.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Although no official pricing has been announced yet, I think folks need to prepare themselves for a price tag of between $42K-$45K. That makes it competitive with the cars that GM feels are the most direct competition for the SS. It is also very reasonable compared to pricing of the G8 GXP from nearly 5 years ago, especially considering all of the additional technology in the SS over the G8 GXP (which I am obviously a huge fan of). I think once people can see & drive the SS, a lot of opinions will change.
^^ agree ^^

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
With all the added technology it is hard to believe a 50 lb weight drop. Jury is still out for me as I'm not overly fond of what I consider vanilla Chevy styling. If the price dropped to the mid to high 30's it may be more interesting...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I see they made the gas guzzler tax standard. I wish they had made it optional.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Proof of just how good our cars were that little has needed to change with Chevy's all new model.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
As good as our cars are, there are some issues that I'm guessing/hoping GM addressed with the SS. Probably the biggest issue I can think of is the LCA's, which are a poor design/quality and most of us have had to replace multiple times (my last set was shot after just 30k miles, ball joint was completely shot). Another one is the poor quality paint job, and AFM/DOD.
I love the hell out of my G8 GT but since I drive 60k miles per year I'm going to need to replace it probably in the next year or two and the SS is definitely on my radar.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Those that believe this car will cost any less than $40k will be in for a severe disappointment. The price will be at least what a fully loaded R/T Charger costs, so low 40s.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As good as our cars are, there are some issues that I'm guessing/hoping GM addressed with the SS. Probably the biggest issue I can think of is the LCA's, which are a poor design/quality and most of us have had to replace multiple times (my last set was shot after just 30k miles, ball joint was completely shot). Another one is the poor quality paint job, and AFM/DOD.
I love the hell out of my G8 GT but since I drive 60k miles per year I'm going to need to replace it probably in the next year or two and the SS is definitely on my radar.
I wouldn't expect any radical improvements in the departments of your primary concern. The LCA's may be improved based upon what was learned with the new Camaro, but will still be designed around the current front cradle; meaning they will be backwards compatible to our chassis. The paint work is not likely to improve either as there has been no mention of change in GM's process out of Australia. It also appears that the SS will not be equipped with AFM/DoD at all, further showcasing it's close relation to the G8 GXP. The only major improvement I can see is the use of the improved 6L90E and TCM that will allow for faster manual-mode shifting and torque-handling.

I don't see any reason to consider the new SS as a replacement for a current G8 owner, unless they specifically want the new technology options available inside the cabin or their car is damaged beyond economical repair. I'm all for people making the shift as it not only opens the G8 market a bit more, but shows the interest in sporty four-door sedans still lives. I'll admit the proximity system in the bumpers would be nice...

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
The improved tranny & LS3 is enough for me to consider buying, but not for at least a year or two..... at which time I will have 160k-200k miles on my G8 and it will need to be retired as my DD. No way in hell would I replace my G8 at this time, I just put a few thousand bucks updating suspension, engine, brakes and should be golden for a good while (fingers crossed)

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
so people are surprised its about the same weight and that it has no options? My guess is they will hit lots with an adjusted market value of something in the 50-55k range and a bunch of idiots will go out and buy them because its going to be "rare"

·
Very long member
161 Posts
Anyone have any idea what "Mystic Green" is all about? I looked in both Holden and GM sites and nothing. I'm interested.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I were to venture a guess, I'd put my money on it being a new name for Pacific Slate Metallic.:wink2:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts