Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. We just got word that we have an allotment for 1 2014 Chevrolet SS. I am surprised that it wasn't a greater allotment based on our significant Corvette & Camaro sales. Official pricing was just announced on the SS as well:

MSRP $44,470.00
Gas Guzzler Tax +$1,700.00

Optional Sunroof +$900.00
Optional full-size spare +$500.00

Ballweg Chevrolet has no intention of charging any kind of Adjusted Dealer Markup on these cars, despite the rarity. If you would be interested in custom ordering this vehicle, please let me know. I can be reached at (608)824-1343, or by email at [email protected]. My hope is that if we sell this car quickly enough, we may be able to get some more 2014s as well as a reward.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did want to update that we will follow the same process for the Chevrolet SS that we are following for the C7 Corvette (which we got an allotment of 13 for, 9 Coupes, 4 Convertibles). If you want to custom order this car, we will require a $1,000 deposit that will be put towards the purchase of the car when it arrives. We are being told that the SS should start arriving on our shores late 4th quarter (December 2013 or later).

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
will test drive be possible at dealers ?

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is going to depend on the dealership and their policies. We will base test drives on weather conditions, and potential buyer seriousness. We don't allow test drives on days when weather conditions are not safe for performance cars. We also try not to put alot of test drive miles on any specialty cars, because most of the buyers for those cars don't want miles on them. Once we have a few SS in inventory, we will likely have one that we would use as the "test drive vehicle" to keep mileage down on the rest.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I understand (well, not really) the concept of "dealer alotment" if the cars are already produced, but it makes no sense for a custom-ordered car: are you saying that, if 5 people came in to order a custom-made SS, 4 of those people would be turned away?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
If you're test driving with legitimate intent to buy, and Joe's your salesman, then I'd say that with Joe's chaperone in the passenger seat (and nice weather) would make for an excellent sale.

Joe -- other than your 1 allotment, are dealerships allowed to purchase a few more for "luring them in" ?

Like, as in, what if the second person who test drives your "lot car" says "I want this exact one, right now. I'm willing to pay cash, I cannot wait."

Would you sell it and then be exposed to potentially losing future sales due to more buyers not being able to test drive this car?

Seems funny to me. Or ignorant on the part of GM.

Gotta spread around the love to get people to see what these cars are really about. Once they get in it and experience the whole thing, it will have no problem selling to those "with the means".

Thoughts on that Joe?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I'll take one in stealth blue please. But I would have to purchase new, just like I did with the G8. Then I know that I would be breaking in my 'virgin'. That's important to me. haha Maybe someday. If they sell more than a year :wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand (well, not really) the concept of "dealer alotment" if the cars are already produced, but it makes no sense for a custom-ordered car: are you saying that, if 5 people came in to order a custom-made SS, 4 of those people would be turned away?
The info we are getting has been a bit conflicting at times. We are being told that the cars are being "built to order" which should mean that they will build as many as people are willing to pay for. I believe that the allotments are for the initial cars that are being built. The allotment gives your dealership "first dibs". We will likely be able to take orders for other cars but they will take longer to get.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're test driving with legitimate intent to buy, and Joe's your salesman, then I'd say that with Joe's chaperone in the passenger seat (and nice weather) would make for an excellent sale.

Joe -- other than your 1 allotment, are dealerships allowed to purchase a few more for "luring them in" ?

Like, as in, what if the second person who test drives your "lot car" says "I want this exact one, right now. I'm willing to pay cash, I cannot wait."

Would you sell it and then be exposed to potentially losing future sales due to more buyers not being able to test drive this car?

Seems funny to me. Or ignorant on the part of GM.

Gotta spread around the love to get people to see what these cars are really about. Once they get in it and experience the whole thing, it will have no problem selling to those "with the means".

Thoughts on that Joe?

I believe that we will be able to order more for customer sold orders as long as we get the orders in before 2014 SS production ends. I have read that the 2014 model production will be a shorter run, but that 2015 model production will likely be a normal annual run.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am happy to say that our allotted vehicle is not spoken for yet. If you are thinking that you want to buy one of the first Chevrolet SS cars that they produce, call or email me for details!

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Production on the SS is supposed to begin on Monday, August 12, and we should start seeing the cars arriving in December or January. Our car is still available to order.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got word from our dealership General Manager that we should be able to custom order our SS in the next 1-4 weeks. We are leaning towards getting the car in Panther Black or Red Hot, if we don't get a customer order.

As I mentioned before, we will charge absolutely no Adjusted Dealer Markup for this car. If you want to custom order our only alloted car, it will be priced at MSRP. We would require a signed contract with $1,000 non-refundable deposit (which would be applied to purchase of the car), and patience while we wait for it to be built and shipped here. If we order this car in the next 1-4 weeks, we should see it around Feb/Mar 2014. Please let me know if you have questions or interest.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No Arrowhead no deal :D
LOL! I know what you mean. Don't get me wrong, I won't be trading in my manual transmission GXP for an SS, but it's still going to be a helluva car. I am really hoping that around the time my GXP will be paid off in July 2016, that somehow the Ute will come here as an El Camino, and then I will add another Holden-built car to my stable!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I am glad you got a laugh at it.

It would not be easier to open a Holden dealer instead? I do not see the re-badge switcharoo... Perhaps it has to do with NASCAR since Chevrolet does not have a suitable car. In another hand... Toyota does not have one either :D

Now come other thing to mind... Toyota is now part of the Big 3 :quoties: (in a sarcastic way)?

Sorry for deviating from the thread.... Lets get back to it :eek:ldfogey:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Did Chevy send out any information to the dealerships about the SS to let potential buyers know about them? Having an allotment of 1 car and not having it sold for nearly 3 months now seems like no one even knows you can buy one. Chevy is making a pretty big mistake in that respect and its not going to bode well for the future of the SS.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chevrolet did heavy marketing of the vehicle around the time that it was unveiled at the Daytona 500. It has also gotten continuous exposure (at least thru name and shape) as the Chevolet representative in NASCAR. Dealers got information about the car during the unveiling in February, we got specific pricing info and allotment info at the beginning of June, and then we had to wait to find out when we could order until more recently. I can't speak for any other dealership, but we have been doing lots of "word-of-mouth" marketing from before intro. This was not a really heavy G8 sales market, and those cars didn't start rolling out until people could see and drive them. I suspect that we will have the same situation with the SS. It sounds like we will order a Black one, get it in mid-winter, and clean it up for showroom display. That will help to drum up interest for later buyers. We would be just fine with having to wait for a showroom display vehicle though, if we get an early motivated buyer. Our future ordering options will likely hinge on how quickly we can sell our initial allotment car. Please help us to get more by getting this one sold!

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have officially ordered our Chevrolet SS, since noone stepped up to custom order our 1 alloted car. We ordered a Black car with Sunroof, but no spare tire (it will have inflator kit like the G8 GXPs did). We should get it sometime in February.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts