Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
The writing was on the wall. Damn Pontiac and GM for doing this to the few diehards that really wanted this. I guess they don't give a damn about us. They can take that piece of **** G3 and cram it way up their cornholes. Pontiac is lost. Might as well shoot it and put it out of it's misery. :(

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
Looks like I'll have to keep my 76 elky running until it falls apart. :(

·
Alexander Haig
1,858 Posts
This sucks big ones. Makes me want to join in calling for ouster of Rick Waggoner. I mean, practicality aside, and despite one really, really pissed off winner of the of the name the truck contest (not me), the ST was going to replace my Colorado.

·
Registered
424 Posts
This sucks big ones. Makes me want to join in calling for ouster of Rick Waggoner. I mean, practicality aside, and despite one really, really pissed off winner of the of the name the truck contest (not me), the ST was going to replace my Colorado.
I think they would do a bit better with the wagon than the ST, but it likely costs little to do the conversion for US sales for the ST so why not go ahead and do it?

The G8 is holding up reasonably well at 1479 units in December and 15,000 for the short year. The year started late (March) for any G8 sales.

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
This doesn't bode well for Pontiac in the future. Guys we love our performance and RWD V8's and Pontiac is taking that away a piece at a time. Guess what will be next on the list , G8 GXP. This is a black day for true Pontiac Performance fans. Our brand is dying and each time a cool/hot/fast car is taken off they replace it with some four banger POS rebadge like the G3. Pontiac is lost. What a shame. :(

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
There goes the last car from GM I'd buy (that I could afford - I'd probably get an Escalade or CTS-V)

Looks like there's a Magnum SRT8 in my future. Way to fail GM. Hey here's the good news, If GM doesn't have a good enough plan in a month or two (which they probably won't, their plan seems to be "alienate existing customers interested in our products and court low margin economy and communter car buyers that hate our cars with a passion and won't buy anything that's not a Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, or Honda") then they have to repay their loans and will be forced into bankruptcy. Maybe then they'll realize who wants their cars.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm glad it's gone. It would just be taking valuable showroom space away from the upcoming G3. The G3 is going to save the Pontiac brand!!!! Come on, people!

Why would you want a half-G8 (which is what the ST is, if you think about it) when you could have your own G3???!?!?

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like there's a Magnum SRT8 in my future. Way to fail GM. Hey here's the good news, If GM doesn't have a good enough plan in a month or two (which they probably won't, their plan seems to be "alienate existing customers interested in our products and court low margin economy and communter car buyers that hate our cars with a passion and won't buy anything that's not a Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, or Honda") then they have to repay their loans and will be forced into bankruptcy. Maybe then they'll realize who wants their cars.
I was just going to post in the other thread that now you could get that Magnum. If it's an '08 (& even if you don't buy it), I want pics. Plus, GM won't understand who wants to buy their vehicles. If they did, we'd have today's quality many years ago. I agree on the Magnum idea as well. I might have to look into picking one up myself. But, I'm thinking of doing What Dodge did in the '80's. Remember the K-cars? Remember that the K-car chassis had a truck variant? Remember the Rampage? Bring it back new school style. :gr_devil:

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
Why would you want a half-G8 (which is what the ST is, if you think about it) when you could have your own G3???!?!?
I know I know. I can still get that wonderful G3 or even the G5 or G6. I can also get the ever exciting Vibe.

Some rebadged tag-lines of yore:

Pontiac: We build excrement.
Pontiac: Pontiac is crap
Pontiac: Wide rebadge Pontiacs
Pontiac: Gruel for the Soul

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know I know. I can still get that wonderful G3 or even the G5 or G6. I can also get the ever exciting Vibe.
:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

Orbit Orange said:
Some rebadged tag-lines of yore:

Pontiac: We build excrement.
Pontiac: Gruel for the Soul
:eyetwitch: It's nice to see you taking this news in stride.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I understand the disdain guys but GM is likely looking at the projected sales figures, (purely a guess: 8-12K units per year) and the margin theyd make on ST's after figuring in warranty support and such and I doubt its that attractive of a marget segment for them. Still sucks, but the days of car companies worrying about a few enthusiasts are long gone.

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand the disdain guys but GM is likely looking at the projected sales figures, (purely a guess: 8-12K units per year) and the margin theyd make on ST's after figuring in warranty support and such and I doubt its that attractive of a marget segment for them. Still sucks, but the days of car companies worrying about a few enthusiasts are long gone.
Sadly, it's when the corporations turn their backs on enthusiasts that enthusiasts turn their backs on the corporations. GM doesn't want to supply a vehicle to the US that is already running down a production line (somewhere else), so I wouldn't want to supply my money to them. If GM didn't have GM Performance Parts, I might be over buying a Ford or Chrysler product. I can always buy used, there-by showing my faith in the company's past decisions.

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
Still sucks, but the days of car companies worrying about a few enthusiasts are long gone.
Then my money is long gone as well. They wont grow market share at the loss of existing customers. Enthusiasts also buy the bread-and-butter sellers for their spouses as well. So losing one customer might actually mean losing 2 sales. I'm sure there is a nice boring silver 2 box Camry out there for all the lemming drivers though. Thank God for that. :rolleyes:

PS: Guess who's next for the axe? Rhymes with T great. An ST would have guaranteed more owners and more money for the G8 line. Which would have meant more parts, more aftermarket, etc. You lost out today my friend as a G8 owner. Take a look at the big picture and it becomes more clear. ;)

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
Sadly, it's when the corporations turn their backs on enthusiasts that enthusiasts turn their backs on the corporations. GM doesn't want to supply a vehicle to the US that is already running down a production line (somewhere else), so I wouldn't want to supply my money to them. If GM didn't have GM Performance Parts, I might be over buying a Ford or Chrysler product. I can always buy used, there-by showing my faith in the company's past decisions.
Well said. Ford is looking better by the day. (cringes)

GM alienates us and then I'll be gone and won't be back. Good luck GM trying to pick up that 4 door 4 banger sedan segment that is already overcrowded.

sccaGTO and I may be a small segment, but when that segment is gone, it's gone.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well said. Ford is looking better by the day. (cringes)

GM alienates us and then I'll be gone and won't be back. Good luck GM trying to pick up that 4 door 4 banger sedan segment that is already overcrowded.

sccaGTO and I may be a small segment, but when that segment is gone, it's gone.
I'm really not trying to be a jack ass here, but where are you going to go? Not too many companies offer a V8 Sedan cabin with a truck rear end last I checked. GM still offers some performance options, maybe just not what you're looking for but the Cobalt SS, the G8 GXP, CTS-V and the C6 are all still out there, with the Camaro on the way. Ford has what, the Mustang in varying trim levels and you see 50 of them a day. I guess what I'm getting at is that you can't expect car makers to fill every niche, it simply isn't profitable.

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
I'm really not trying to be a jack ass here, but where are you going to go? Not too many companies offer a V8 Sedan cabin with a truck rear end last I checked. GM still offers some performance options, maybe just not what you're looking for but the Cobalt SS, the G8 GXP, CTS-V and the C6 are all still out there, with the Camaro on the way. Ford has what, the Mustang in varying trim levels and you see 50 of them a day. I guess what I'm getting at is that you can't expect car makers to fill every niche, it simply isn't profitable.
Filling an unfilled niche gives you that niche, no competition. And why not buy one of those Honda Avalanche-looking things out of spite? (Gm loses a sale there) You are taking a narrow view. The G8 itself is a NICHE vehicle. 15K sold a year is niche. Guess which model will be next to get the axe. I'm not trying to be an ass either, just a realist. Take off the rose-colored glasses for a second and see that you as a G8 owner lost today even though you wouldn't ever buy one. G8's could have have the larger rear sway bars and stiffer rear springs the ST would have had. Body parts and interior parts would have been made in greater numbers. Ask a GTO owner or G8 owner how long they have to wait for parts for a small market vehicle. The aftermarket would have seen a slightly larger audience and possibly offered more things for the G8 line. G8's days are numbered and with the death of ST the calendar just got shorter.

It sucks, but did you really expect them to sell it in large quantities? It'd be a niche deal. . .
Said the pot to the kettle. 15K G8 sales a year is also niche my friend. I'm sorry but the G8's demise is now written on the wall as well. Unfortunately. Best thing that could have happened would have been a G8 coupe, wagon and Ute offered alongside the sedan. That's not going to happen. Too bad really.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My view is in no way rose colored, and I'm actually trying to look at bigger picture, and not just my G8 or the ST. I'm thinking of GM as a whole. Niche markets do give you an opportunity to gain market share but niche markets are also notorious for people saying they'll buy something and then not bring their check books when the product hits the market. Niche markets are also fickle and need quite a bit of attention, so an ailing auto maker with limited resources would be unwise to attempt to garner such a market when the 4 banger market is growing leaps and bounds as gas prices drive more and more people to tree hugging.

1 - 20 of 265 Posts