Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must be a popular tire. Guy called at least ten other stores. I am leaving now. Guy will call me later :(

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you can wait for tires, I can meet you somewhere this weekend and you can try out the Vorti's I've got. They're very good and cheaper than the SS's. I live in Roseville and work in Pleasant Ridge.

Order monday and you could have 'em by the end of the week.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just got a set they came from tire rack.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Must be a popular tire. Guy called at least ten other stores. I am leaving now. Guy will call me later :(
Tire Rack just got mine!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
got mine a few weeks back, should be available soon for ya.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My recommendation with Discount Tire is to wait for a sale. You can ask them to order the tires you want and then come in on sale weekend to buy them. That way, you get the discount (often $100 or more). I'll just bet that they've got a sale cued up for Memorial Day weekend.

I did this last year on some other hard-to-find off-the-shelf Michelin's for my wife's MB.

Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought mine a few weeks ago and there was $100 in rebates.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My recommendation with Discount Tire is to wait for a sale. You can ask them to order the tires you want and then come in on sale weekend to buy them. That way, you get the discount (often $100 or more). I'll just bet that they've got a sale cued up for Memorial Day weekend.

I did this last year on some other hard-to-find off-the-shelf Michelin's for my wife's MB.

Good luck.

They have a deal now with a $50 gift card, but maybe they will sweeten the deal near Memorial Day weekend. Problem is that I'd pretty much have to park it until then. The tires are really thin now. I may look to see if they can get the Potenzas. They told me the Potenzas don't come in a 255/40 (that is the size I want), but I am seeing them on Tire Rack.

Looked at a few different ones including Bob's (above poster). Just had my heart set on these or the OEM brand/type with the only diff being the 255 instead of 245.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
My local Michelin dealer got them in 2 days and with a $75 rebate.
Best tire I have ever driven. Amazing stickiness!
And they look awesome from the side.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
they are special order... as is pretty much every other extreme high performance tire. just all up there and order a set and they'll let you know when they get there usually takes 3-4 days. btw if you haggle with them they can knock a bit off the tire price.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're more than welcome to take Christine out for a spin and try out her Vreds... I think you'll like 'em. They come in a 255/35/19 too. ;)
Thanks, Bob! if this was going to take any longer, I may have taken you up on your offer, but I believe I found what I'm looking for.

If it helps anyone else, or if anyone has input:

I had to give this serious thought as to what I was looking for. Since it is my DD in the summer including taking my family of 5 up north, I was willing to give up turning performance for a bit more sidewall. I push this car very little and, the few times I have, others hear might laugh at what I call "pushing the car hard".

As much as Goodyear doesn't have many friends here, I have had good luck with them and I DO get a discount on them. Add that discount to an $80 rebate plus $80 back for using my Goodyear card (I'm a sucker for same-as-cash deals) and I decided to go for a set of the F1 Asymetric 2 255/40/19. This set of Goodyears are going to cost me about $300 less than the Pilot SS set of the same size.

I read a lot of banter about putting a 255 tire on an 8-inch wide wheel, but the trade-offs were actually in my favor: less turning performance with the extra sidewall, but a bit softer ride. That kind of tire with the grip it offers seemed to be the perfect choice. The roads around me in Warren Michigan are absolute crap, so I took that into consideration too. I wanted summer tire grip with some more sidewall than the OEM Potenzas. If I made a mistake, everyone here will know about it real soon :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Nice. Good luck with the new tires. You can always negotiate the prices with discount tire. I always get a couple hundred off just in haggling with them dont settle for the sticker price.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice. Good luck with the new tires. You can always negotiate the prices with discount tire. I always get a couple hundred off just in haggling with them dont settle for the sticker price.
We went round and round on tire and tire/wheel packages. In the end, when I mentioned the price I was getting on the Good years, he didn't offer to do anything on the price of the Pilots. I think the Pilots were priced OK, but hard to compete with employee discount through Goodyear. I always end up with them on all my cars/trucks even when I try to stray LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
We went round and round on tire and tire/wheel packages. In the end, when I mentioned the price I was getting on the Good years, he didn't offer to do anything on the price of the Pilots. I think the Pilots were priced OK, but hard to compete with employee discount through Goodyear. I always end up with them on all my cars/trucks even when I try to stray LOL.
Honestly, I would not put the Pilot SS and anything Goodyear makes in the same discussion. FWIW

1 - 16 of 16 Posts