Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
My g8 has 158k miles on it so problems are bound to start occurring. Since it's gotten cold outside, the first couple tries to start go click and then nothing happens. But it's not the sound that a starter makes when it's not getting enough amperage/voltage (which is a rhythmic clicking sound). It's almost like the sound my starter made on a 78 trans am after I swapped out the starter and didn't shim it properly. Seeing as how changes in temperature change the size and flexibility of metal... do you think the starter could be going bad or are these things prone to electrical problems with the starting system? also, how hard is it to swap out the starter? I haven't even looked into it yet but I'm guessing that the starter is going bad. I don't think it's an issue with voltage to the starter itself because once the starter actually kicks in, she starts right up. Motor seems otherwise healthy

thanks, in advance! :shiner:

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'd check your battery first. Both the battery itself for charge and the connections. Simplest thing would be to jump start it when it's cold out and see if you get the same result.

My brand new starter had the same symptom. I knew my battery was old, so replaced it and it's been great since

Edit: also check all ground connections.

Reactions: GXP25 and hexagod

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, good looks on the response. I notice the voltage is between 12-13v while running.. seems low. Alternator seems pretty good though because it kicks the voltage up to 14.4v where it's supposed to be. Hopefully I can just swap the battery. I know that temperature affects the rate of chemical reaction inside the battery and drops the voltage. This time of year in Michigan is when they usually kick the bucket.

Connections look good, not corroded as far as I can tell... it's actually the cleanest looking battery/terminals I've ever seen.

EDIT: but I'll have to check the connections on the starter next... they could be corroded.

·
Registered
827 Posts
oh, and I charged battery all night last night and it still clicked once on the first turn.
Check grounds. Specifically the ground cable on the battery. Even though the terminals look great, where it connects to the body can get quite rusted (see mine in pic). Not saying that's the fix, but could be a contributing factor.

Attachments

Reactions: hexagod

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
How old is the battery? Brand? Number of cold cranking amps? Batteries can be finicky and might slowly fail (longer cranking time) or suddenly quit with zero warning. As stated, boost the battery and see if the starter comes to life. If not, check the connections... including to the starter. If all of that pans out, hit the starter (if possible) with a hammer and see if the car starts. The starter on the GT isn't difficult to change and only recall the lone exception as perhaps with Kooks long tube headers. Am leaning towards the battery as the culprit since the trouble started when the temperatures dipped outside, however such might be purely ironic. Good luck

Reactions: hexagod

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
Recommend jump starting the car with a known good battery to eliminate it as the culprit. Reason being, if the car won't start with two batteries... then the issue lies elsewhere. Charging a battery with a bad cell won't change the condition of the cell. Took a battery to the auto part stores that was unable to start the car. Jump started the car and got it going. Drove fifteen minutes to the auto parts store. Removed the battery and took it inside. Clerk says the battery shows good and is hot (fully charged). Respond, it's not the battery... it's the starter. Say, I'll just purchase another battery and take my chances....problem solved.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
6 months ago, "tripowergto" had a very similar problem. At that time he posted a picture of his starter. It had experienced a very bad external meltdown condition at the solenoid wiring connect point. He was pretty sure the problem was caused by the winter road chemicals/products splashing upwards, an attacking the starter solenoid wires. If you checkout your starter, maybe you'll find (or not) something similar. But a few starters have failed over the years with no visible external damage also.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what voltage range do you guys have on your atari gauge when cruising? Mine goes anywhere from 14-11v ... thinking it's probably the connection @ the battery (or the battery) like ya'll said. When I charged the battery all night last night again .. this morning she started without hesitation. Still going to do an inspection this weekend when I've got time.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Bumping this as I experienced this this past spring when it was dank and wet out. But in the 100% humidity and 100* dewpoints we've been having, it acted up again, even if I started it, moved it, shut off and then restart 5 minutes later, it'd do it again. It's almost as of the solenoid to slide out the gear on the armature doesn't want to work.

It isn't the battery, I've vetted that. Then I thought maybe it was a bad ignition switch. Nope. It'll take 2 or 3 turns of the switch and all the sudden it works like nothing ever happened.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd lean towards starter. Mine acted the same way. Sometimes I could rock the car a little from the outside and then I'd be able to start the car.
Replacing the started was about an hour job really, although is more difficult with aftermarket headers. To make it easier, remove the front passenger side wheel and wheel well cover and also 100% remember how you took the starter out as it really can only come out and go in one way.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Yes, that is where I'm at. Almost like the old school way of tapping the starter housing that jars the armature loose again.

I have a lift that I would be doing it on. So it'll be easy peasy for me.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
So, I didn't realize I had already posted in this thread. But up until yesterday and today, it hasn't happened. But in the last two days, every time the engine is cold it takes 3 to 20 tries to get it to go.

So again I load tested the battery just to be sure, Battery and charging system are healthy as can be. So I'm back to the starter.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
And of course Rock Auto has two listings.

1 for breakpoint for 2009.5 model year (BSI).
1 Except breakpoint for 2009.5 model year (BSI).

How do I know which I need?

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Since it won't let me edit my last post, that first option, "breakpoint for 2009.5 model years" they also list EVG which is an RPO code. Do ALL G8's have this as an RPO? Or only those at the breakpoint? If so, that would give me my answer. if I go check my SPID and see/not see EVG, that tells me.

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Ok, I went out and looked at my SPID. I have EVG. So that's what I ordered.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
And not BSI

1 - 20 of 33 Posts