Pontiac G8 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had slow starts on my car and it ended up being a bad connection at the driverside post/junction underhood. I unscrewed the post, brushed all the corrosion off it, and the 2 other cables that run to the battery/starter and it's been good since.

Can't hurt to take a look there. I made the mistake of getting a new starter based on 100k miles car..., and it had the same slow start problem as my old one. fyi.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
It's not a slow cranking issue. It's the turn the key and get one click issue. This is indfcative that the armature is getting hung up on the starter wall. After a couple of tries it will finally turn. In the old days, you could get under there (or through the engine compartment and tap the starter wall and jar it loose in the same manner.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree that your symptoms indicate the need for a new starter. Another thing that happens when you turn the key and nothing happens, is that some current is drawn from the battery which warms it up slightly. In the dead of winter, it can happen where you turn the key and get nothing. Then turn again and the engine cranks. A warmer battery provides more amps (power) than a cold one.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Not sure about the G8, but on most cars if you crank it with the headlights on, you can tell if your connection is good if the headlights dim. No dim means its disconnecting from a bad connection.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
There was no connection issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My recent situation is similar,,,, but different than what CMXTMXR57 has posted.
On my GXP (it's probably the same on all G8's??) you can simply "bump" the ignition switch, not ROTATE it all the way to to start the car.
That is,,,, until LAST week. I thought that the one 'click' I heard while doing the 'bump' meant that I needed a battery. It is only two years old and tested fine. The Service Tech kept telling me that "the car starts fine, every time".
Well,,,,, he was rotating the key to engage the starter. And doing that, it DOES start every time.

My inexperienced NON-Mechanic diagnosis is that I might need to change out the tumbler or the entire Ignition Switch. Do you guys agree?

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I'm not understanding what a "bump the ignition" means (unless that's the same as a quick rotate to start, followed by an equally quick releasing of the key). If it is, I think you have to at least hang on to the rotation action until your ears tell you that a starter engagement has actually taken place. Maybe you have such lightning fast hand action, the start circuit can't respond fast enough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
GOPHERIT, that's exactly what I mean. Try it on your G8.
It's such an awesome feature that I've gotten spoiled using it and love it.
BRENT72, I guess my only concern was that this failure might be a 'warning' that the ignition switch will fail completely? And another part of me just wants to have everything factory-correct and proper for when I decide to sell the car.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great questions PONY:
78,800 miles and likely the original Starter. I've had the car for two+ years and not sure about it's prior history (0 records)
Not sure about the brand but the Tech told me that the Battery was date-coded at only two years old; ie, replaced right before I bought the car. He said that the connections were good/tight & corrosion-free at the Battery.

The car keeps starting and running. So I'll just leave well-enough-alone for now on the Starter.
But I'll check the ground connections this week-end. Good info on that thread. Thanks for your help and your input.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I believe the info on not needing to hold the key to start was in the owners manual. Once the engine starts cranking over, you can release the key and it will keep cranking until it starts.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
The vehicle has a Computer-Controlled Cranking System. This feature assists in starting the engine and protects components. If the ignition key is turned to the START position, and then released when the engine begins cranking, the engine will continue cranking for a few seconds or until the vehicle starts. If the engine does not start and the key is held in START for many seconds, cranking will be stopped after 15 seconds to prevent cranking motor damage. To prevent gear damage, this system also prevents cranking if the engine is already running. Engine cranking can be stopped by turning the ignition switch to ACC/ACCESSORY or LOCK/OFF.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts