Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed the Atari gauges this weekend and finally removed the aftermarket alarm my car came with(I didn't have any remotes or anything with it). Can someone tell me what the three wires that were tapped in the steering column? I've been looking for a diagram but can't find one.

Pic of the wires

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
If you can verify that those 3 OEM wires are BROWN, WHITE and ORANGE/BLACK (I can't tell those colors for sure on my screen), my first guess would be that those are the wires going up to your ignition switch. I'm taking for granted that those 3 larger dia. looking wires, were going to your removed aftermarket alarm. That might be what *some* of that alarm wiring was designed to do (patch into the control power portion of the switch).
Proper color verification, and hopefully following the routing up the column as best as possible, would help better identify for a more positive guess.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I should have written down the color codes. I thought a pic of it would be good enough but couldn't tell when I took it. I'll have to tear into it again someday and look more closely. I still have the alarm so I may be able to figure it out from that end by seeing what the inputs were that were connected to it.

The alarm had three other wires tapped in the lower kick area by the fuse panel as well. One was power, one was a door trigger or lock interface, the other I am not sure exactly. It is black and I expected it to be ground but there was an actual loop terminal on a separate black wire screwed to the dash metal.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That alarm was installed before I bought the car new and they wouldn't remove it..

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
It's gone now :eyetwitch:

I was installing the atari gauges and had the entire dash apart so it wasn't to bad. Everything was wire tapped so it was pretty easy to take out.

I know the three wires in the kick panel were power, ground, and a door trigger. Two of the wires in the steering column were the horn and another was the ignition sense for the alarm. I guess it auto armed 60 seconds after the ignition was shut off or some crap. Seems kind of pointless with the factory alarm. I was expecting an ignition interruption device at a minimum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts