Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
08 Pontiac G8 GT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been trying to diagnose some steering wobble I've had. I recently hit a raised area on an interstate and it bent my front 2 wheels and cracked my rear 2 wheels. Ever since, I've been chasing an issue that has my steering wheels wobbling form 35ish- 80mph. Jacked the front of the car up to check ball joints and tie rods, ball joints checked out good. Tierods, well, slight play but it's a very small amount. So small I can't tell if I'm seeing the tire flex or if the wheels is actually moving side to side. I did note that with both wheels in the air, I can turn both wheels simultaneously approximately a half inch in either direction by pushing and pulling at the 9 and 3 position. Is this an issue with the rack or is this normal?

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts

·
Registered
08 Pontiac G8 GT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already been through that thread. And no, I bought 4 new wheels and tires.

·
Registered
286 Posts
As the wheels were rotating the energy would go up the strut where it is absorbed in the spring, dampened by the shock absorber and finally hit the bump stop then the rims would bend and crack.

If you cannot find anything in the steering assembly I would be changing out the shock absorber, bearing mount, bearing and bump stop.

·
Registered
08 Pontiac G8 GT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dropped the car off at a shop for a few days and they went through the whole front end and could not find anything wrong. The car still wanders a lot at highway speeds and gets blown around easily by the wind at highway speeds. Car just doesn't feel stable.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Mine felt that way when it had a combo of bad lower control arm ball joints and alignment. Fixed that and it felt much better.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Perchance was it suspension, alignment, general repair or other shop? Oftentimes it depends on the technician.

·
Registered
08 Pontiac G8 GT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first place I took it too was just general repair. Took it for a second opinion to a suspension shop with the same answer, no issue found. I've look over it myself and I can't find anything. I just know my car was stable and my steering was not loose before this happened.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Presuming the car has been realigned. It is wandering to one or both sides? Blown around easily be the wind at highway speeds as in body roll?

·
Registered
08 Pontiac G8 GT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did it have it aligned as soon as I put the new wheels and tires on. It tends to wander/follow the road to either side. I wouldn't quite say body roll, if I'm behind a semi or a strong gust of wind blows, the car will start swaying is what it feels like.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Can you post pre/post alignment specs?

·
Registered
08 Pontiac G8 GT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Firestone did not give me a printout of the specs when they aligned it.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Lifetime alignment? Recall about how long the car was in the bay? Have a lifetime alignment and went to the nearest Firestone which did absolutely nothing. Said they were unable to realign it and couldn't provide a printout due to printer ink. Took all of ten minutes and am pretty sure the technician did as least as possible. Went back to the Firestone where the lifetime alignment was purchased and problem solved. The first file may be redundant.

Attachments

·
Registered
08 Pontiac G8 GT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The car was in the bay for approximately an hour and a half and yes it is a lifetime alignment.

·
Registered
08 Pontiac G8 GT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll add this, noticed yesterday when I hit the brakes, the wheel shakes goes away. I can feel the shaking start as soon as I let off the brakes as the steering wheel jolts a little bit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like a caster problem, if the steering and suspension parts check out ok. If the impact was as hard as you say, could it have bent the front subframes? It might be worth your time to have a frame shop check it out. They're usually well versed in alignment issues as well.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Reading this, you need to find a competent alignment shop. Request pre and post spec to see what was changed. The alignment tech should be able to identify any suspect parts. A complete inspection includes the tech test driving it to ensure it tracks correctly. For a competent alignment shop, contact your local Hunter rep, ask who in the area has the bast alignment experience and where would he/she take their personal car for alignment.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Locally, one of the best frame and alignment shops closed many years ago. Without knowing the before and alignment alignment settings, it essentially becomes a guessing game. Considering the impact damaged four rims, it's highly probable some other component(s) were compromised in some way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts