Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never disconnected the steering shaft but have heard it makes the install easier for certain headers to be installed. I removed the bolt (I think the right one) but cant get it to slide off the steering rack.

I've read that the thinner black rod slights towards the fire wall, inside the larger black rod. Correct?

This is the spot where I removed the bolt and where I marked it so I can be lined up. Why cant I get it to budge? What should I try?

Attachments

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got with extra effort from hammer and extra large screw driver. Hit it a few times from the top the hit the butt of the driver pushing the steering shaft the direction it needs to go from underneith the car.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
That's the way I read it in the service manual. I've never had any reason to do this yet. I looked at mine and I see that the steering gear shaft has a rust color on it. If that gear shaft is machined with numerous splines, maybe rust has migrated up into the intermediate shaft coupling. Might require a blast of something like liquid wrench/knocker loose. Let it sit for an hour or two. Then maybe a light upwards tapping action will release it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts