Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Brewtus
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, when I play my rockin' steering wheel drum set to my 80's hair band music, the plastic trim on the backside of the steering wheel spokes "buzzes" or "rattles". Any way to get this off easily so I can see where it's not fitting properly, or so I can add some 3M adhesive to get it to sit a bit tighter? It doesn't bother me that much... I'd just rather hear my hands hitting the steering wheel than "buzz buzz buzzzzzzz" to Kickstart My Heart.

·
asdf
818 Posts
If the buzz is annoying, then that means you suck at the steering wheel drums. I think your car is trying to tell you something. A good drummer would fit the buzz into their beat.

EDIT: I forgot to :wink2:

·
Brewtus
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the buzz is annoying, then that means you suck at the steering wheel drums. I think your car is trying to tell you something. A good drummer would fit the buzz into their beat.

EDIT: I forgot to :wink2:
Haha! You're right! I will use it as an open hi-hat from now on!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Funny, I've noticed that too doing the exact same thing. Only the right side seems to make noise though. I have not attempted to "fix" it.

·
Brewtus
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny, I've noticed that too doing the exact same thing. Only the right side seems to make noise though. I have not attempted to "fix" it.
Right. It's just the right side for me too... If you push up on the bottom part of the left and right spokes, you can feel there's a little bit of a difference in how they seem to be attached.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You guys are freaking me out. I found the same thing out about three weeks ago. I thought that I was just being obsessive compulsive!!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Since I did my GXP wheel swap, my 2 cents:

After you remove the steering wheel there are two screws that hold that plastic trim on the back of the wheel. Remove the two screws and theres four clips that hold it together. If yours is rattling either your clips are not lined up or your screws are loose (been accused of tha before). The steering wheel swap is a pain in the ass but if it was rattling to annoyance might be worth it to use some silicon or foam inside the trim to stop it.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I don't know if we're talking about the same thing, but the black plastic shroud that is on the back of the steering wheel, where the turn signal and wiper stalks fit into, is not really attached to much of anything. Its an absolute joke in terms of fit/finish if you as me, I noticed a huge gape like 1" one day between the top and bottom and tried "clipping" it back together but the plastic is so cheap and flimsy and the clips so loose all I could really do is squeeze them together as best I could and there is still a small gap. You could use some adhesive to get them to stick together but then it may be messy spreading the 2 pieces apart if you ever have to.

absolute garbage design

·
Registered
719 Posts
Sounds like you're talking about the upper and lower steering column covers. They're talking about the back of the steering wheel.

I've taken those covers off as well, and was shocked how it goes together. Theres one actual screw, the rest just snaps together. If the snaps thet hold the top and bottom together are loose, or the clips on the lower piece are broken (they're REALLY easy to break) then it will be loose. Did you have yours off for any reason? Might be worth taking it apart and making sure eveything is snapped together correctly. Mine was solid as hell before I took it apart. Hopefully when I get it back together it still will be.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Maybe you should play air drums.

·
Brewtus
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Maybe you should play air drums.
I do that too. People behind me in traffic probably think I'm either yelling at somebody or I'm crazy. Others who do the same just know I'm rockin' out. I will have to try get a look at the back of the wheel and see if I can remove that plastic and fit it back together a little more solidly. Otherwise adhesives, here I come!

Update: So I went out and checked my wheel at lunch. I did some squeezing trying to see if the piece would snap a little tighter. I didn't hear any clicks or snaps, but I tried bangin' on the side of the wheel pretty good and didn't hear much. Probably just temporary. I tried pulling a bit to see if i could get the back to pop off a little, but no dice.

Do you need to pull the wheel off to be able to remove that back piece?

·
Brewtus
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see. Well, then as easy as removing the wheel might be, I'm going to forgo the trouble. It doesn't really bother me because it only rattles when I'm really rockin' out... basically beating the crap out of my poor steering wheel. Maybe if it gets worse I'll stick some adhesive underneath.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts