Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received my Holden Super Sport steering wheel today and thought I would quickly install it after supper. I disconnected the battery and let the car sit a little. Next, I removed the air bag; no issues there. But every time I say a project won't take me long, it does! UGH!!!!!!!!!!! The T50 bolt just won't break loose!!!!!!!!!! I tried for 15 minutes before asking my father for help. He tried while I held the steering wheel. Finely he was like, "Bud, you are not gonna get that off!" How in the world does one remove THAT STUBBORN T50 BOLT??? :banghead:

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I've done it a couple times. It didn't seem overly hard. Do you have a new bolt to replace it with?

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done it a couple times. It didn't seem overly hard. Do you have a new bolt to replace it with?
I was just going to reuse the old one. However after reading, I think I'll buy a new bolt. At this point it is not coming off to began with! :frown2:

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
PB Blaster.
I'd avoid that. A rust situation is unlikely, and there are electronics in the area. There's loctite holding it in there. Just make sure your bit has a good firm seat, then give it a good firm twisting.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The first time I took my wheel off I used a very large breaker bar with a long pipe that I put through the holes in the steering wheel to hold it in place. Think of like a really long steering wheel locking bar. You can then just have it rest against the floor and that will hold the steering wheel in place for you. You can always take a few whacks at the ratchet handle with a hammer too which might break it loose. Make sure that you do not use the built-in steering wheel lock to hold the steering wheel though.

It will be worth it in the end! The new wheel (I bought the other one) is significantly nicer than the stock GT one.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:crying: This is pathetic! I tried the impact, but it is too small. I found a small breaker bar in the shed that was a little bigger than the ratchet I was using earlier and utilized my father's help. The poor little breaker bar was about to snap! Nothing! Just nothing will break its grip! It must be welded on or something! Could it be the summer heat? I just don't understand! :confused: Maybe I am not suppose to replace my steering wheel?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Man, yours must definitely be tighter than mine was. I was able to use the breaker bar with my left hand and keep the wheel still with my right. I hope you make some progress. I'm sure you'll love the new wheel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Are you using 1/2 drive torx or a 3/8 that would make a big difference + it has to be a 1/2 AIR impact

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
For a breaker bar, I always find the handle from a floor jack works really.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Victory always feels good, especially when it's a pesky problem. :D

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I picked up a replacement bolt at our local dealership and headed over to @Generalg for some help. He had about a 14 inch ratchet that he used for his wheel! I held the steering wheel and he tried to remove the bolt. Pop, pop, pop! The ratchet started slipping with all of the pressure applied!!! Crazy! He tried again this time the ratchet won! Ten minutes later and 33lbs, the wheel was on. I am still getting used to it. If I'm completely honest, it feels like I may have taken a sip of the Kool-Aid. However, the wheel is installed and it does have its perks. My favorite part are the bulges at 10 and 2. This way I can rest my thumbs on the bulges instead of wrapping them around the wheel and getting a cramp. Here are some pictures for proof. Thank you all again!

Old wheel:

The pretty wheel and a car that needs cleaning:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts