Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was suggested in another thread that a "sport" steering wheel (a G8 with the sport package) is different from a non-sport. I always thought they were the same, but I figured I'd let it out that the GT wheel in these pics are from a "sport package".

I test drove a GXP before I bought my GT, and I remember the GXP steering wheel being fat and thick and curvey/shaped in my hands compared to the GT I bought. Now that I'm mid-swap to a red GXP wheel to match my red interior, I figured I'd snap some pics for those concidering the swap.

Turns out the wheel is not really that much bigger. Its shaped slighly different and the grip pattern in the leather is much more aggressive. The bottom of the GXP is slightly flattened, but not as much as I thought. The biggest difference is just above the "10 oclock, 2 oclock" driving position to the "9 oclock 3 oclock" position where the grip material of the GXP is fatter. This fat area is not only thicker and curved different on the GXP wheel, but it goes up toward the top of the steering wheel much higher than on the GT wheel.

Pics:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a LOT of money for a wheel not that much different. I got it for my red GT interior (red GTs get black steering wheel while red GXPs get red steering wheel), and I still almost didnt get it. If I already had a red GT wheel or was going black to black, I dont think visually anyone would notice a difference in the wheel unless they were a real G8 geek (like us).

It does feel way different in your hands when you're driving, and does help your brain think you're in a sports car and not a 4 door sedan. The curvature and the thickess in the 10 and 2 positions feels way different if thats where you normally keep your hands.

Making low speed turns (lots of wheel turn) does feel a lot different if you're used to letting the wheel spin back to straight in your hands as the GXP wheel is misshaped compared to the GT.

So its all about what you're willing to spend. Some guys buy a Bently without blinking, but those guys would probably have a GXP and not a GT.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Theres one on ebay for $130, but doesnt look to be in that great of shape. I looked in my parts mess and I do have a steering wheel from a 98 Eclipse, but no G8. I probabably sold mine to a V6 owner back then.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok cheapest was $180

This one looks like it includes airbag? Or is it just airbag

You might be able to get the whole column shipped to you cheaper, but they dont always include the steering wheel, so you should check with them first:

I'm shocked how high these prices are you might be better looking at junkyard inventories and finding a G8 and calling and asking how much for the steering wheel. The guys who dont list on ebay are always cheaper.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
$80 in fair condition without the airbag. eBay item number 385037911340.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts