Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fixed or slowed down the progression of the leather peeling up from next to the air bag? I had my wheel replaced once under warranty, but that option is gone now. On the right side, it's come up a quarter inch, and the leather is almost pulled clear off the hard backing.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have the same problem. I used a small amount of glue and some zip ties to hold it down for a few days. It worked for a while but ultimately i decided it was time for a new wheel.
Some crazy guy in australia has a gxp wheel on the way for me..

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
FWIW, the steering wheel comes with a 12 month warranty. Could go buy a new one and return your old one...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sad thing is, this wheel is only 18 months old. For future preventative maintenance, is there something I can put on the leather there to keep it from shrinking or pulling?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW, the steering wheel comes with a 12 month warranty. Could go buy a new one and return your old one...
Wouldn't they give me another wheel when I brought this one back? So I'd have two wheels?

·
Registered
241 Posts
My wheel looks just like yours now. The right side has come up quite a bit. I find myself pushing it down when I am driving thinking I can bend it back. It's really annoying to me for some reason.

·
NC
122 Posts
I've been putting a sun shade in the windshield and trying to keep direct light off of the wheel. (Does make it easier to drive in the summer time.)

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Wouldn't they give me another wheel when I brought this one back? So I'd have two wheels?
Yes, 2 NEW wheels ;)

You could easily sell the other new to a member here, and recoup your money.

As far as keeping it from deforming, I've had no issues (5 years old now). I keep my interior protected with Adams VRT and use sun shades often. Tinted front window doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Its due to the heat. I live in AZ and I had 2 wheels replaced on my GT, I never used a sunshade and it baked in the sun. I now have a GXP and haven't had it happen yet. I use a sunshade on this car and I have tinted the windshield with a clear heat reflective film, seems to help quite a bit.

·
MRG82U
225 Posts
My dads blue g8 is like that. Mine better not get like that, haha. he has the sport wheel though

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine is the sport wheel as well. Makes me want to do a GXP swap even more now.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fixed it! How's it look?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looks amazing !! Nice upgrade

·
Registered
241 Posts
That looks great JW. I need to get that done to mine. Are you for hire? :p

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,315 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. I dont touch the thing at all. I think im either going to super glue the damn thing or use a hot glue gun. Hopefully itll stay in place.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can do steering wheel swaps, but don't ask me to actually repair/recover one... lol

With the AUD falling, you can get one on eBay for significantly less than what they were asking recently.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts